Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Bent stainless axle already?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Bent stainless axle already?

I only got a few short runs out this Hot Racing stainless rear axle.
It only fell from about 14",i'm sure it would have busted the rear housing if not for aluminum adapters w/the double brgs.
Any stronger axles available,i thought these were the best?

irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You'll find out alot of guys bend them. I've done it on a couple hard falls. Just rebend it back...
sierradmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You could bend it back but the second time it will bend a little easier. Stainless is actually softer than other metals used for drive shafts/axle shafts.

Last edited by chris4207; 03-09-2009 at 07:25 AM.
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That's about on par for the Hot Racing products that I have used in the past. I snapped one of their Clod CVDs in five minutes....driving on flat ground.

Dont expect any customer service from them either.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

thanx guys,
ya i figured i would bend it back and see how long it lasts.
Somebody should make up some nice hardened ones for us.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've been several stainless ones. You can bend them back but like mentioned they will bend easier the next time around. Also, they might wear your bearings out quicker. Personally out of all the one's I've run so far the Axial brand took the longest to bend. I've beat the crap out of the set of Axial ones I have for a year and have just recently bent it slightly.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

i saw another truck take a 10' fall/hit onto concrete and the housing bust off behind the alum. adapt. and bent the stock axle at the same spot.
I'll keep some stockers in my box,my rig is heavy i'll be needin' them
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok View Post
i saw another truck take a 10' fall/hit onto concrete and the housing bust off behind the alum. adapt. and bent the stock axle at the same spot.
I'll keep some stockers in my box,my rig is heavy i'll be needin' them
Yup, from one of the places I run mine at I've learned to keep spares. I've got several spare axle shafts, as well as 3 spare housings and the stock knuckles and c's with the lockout parts just in case I had to go that route.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Ive got a HR lockout set that is bent too and I bent back but would like to have spares incase it breaks next time. Where can I get them? I emailed HR and got nothing back from them. Any other brand work with their lockouts?

Thanks!
chevihemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevihemi View Post
I emailed HR and got nothing back from them.
They provide excellent customer service, dont they? I got the same treatment from them a while back...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
They provide excellent customer service, dont they? I got the same treatment from them a while back...
good to know this was about to order a set think ill go the axial ones instead
E&W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

All of those stainless axles are total ass, no one had the brain storm to have them heat treated. Get the Axial straight axles and you only have to run one bearing on each end instead of two.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i have the axials, with their plastic, strait axle adapters. taken a few tumbles, and have yet to bend one...

i have yet to see an HR product worth purchasing, but thats is just my opinion.
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Same thing happened to my HR straight shafts...and it was the first run on them...and only about a 3 foot roll. You'd be better off just running the MIP's or something similar and locking out the rear knuckles...stronger IMO.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Anyone know if any other brand regular steel straight axles will fit in the HR housings so I dont have to buy the whole kit? Would I be better off just putting stock knuckles back on and locking them out and not worry about it?

Thanks much!
chevihemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

One thing I noticed with the stock knuckles just locked out...was that it has a bit of "give" to it and it absorbs some pretty good impacts instead of the shock of the hit making it's way to the next weak spot. The weak spot in my HR shafts ended up being the hex pin hole through the shaft.

If you check out a vid of mine...right at the second slow motion part (4:04 in)...you can see the rear tire/wheel get caught up on the rock during the high speed roll and looks like it had bent it pretty severely. Everything was just fine afterwards...I was kinda surprised. I think that the stock plastic knuckle that I had locked out allowed it to soak up some of the impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC77zLsl6c0

Last edited by Offroader5; 03-20-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:57 AM   #17
RCC Addict

In the past I have had numerous falls, tumbles, etc. from heights ranging from 1 meter (~3 feet) to 5 meters (~15 feet). My axles are totally stock all plastic and so far everything holds up nice. Nothing broken or bent. What offroader5 says must me true because most hobby grade plastics have a tendency to flex a lot and return to normal. Downside is after a year of crawling my plastics are now showing very increased slop but what can one expect?
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I found when the beadlock is properly mounted it will bend the axles. I used to run Delrin beads and noticed they never seated properly on the axle and would bend the axle. I switched to Vanquish beads and still have yet to bend an axle.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #19
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
I found when the beadlock is properly mounted it will bend the axles. I used to run Delrin beads and noticed they never seated properly on the axle and would bend the axle. I switched to Vanquish beads and still have yet to bend an axle.
Not sure I understand the logic there. Shouldn't make a difference. I have run several sets of Delrin beadlocks from different vendors...and have run several different sets of aluminum ones...and just cannot see how the delrin versions would cause a bent axle shaft. More than likely, the only way it could happen is that when installed, the hex fit VERY poorly and after the axle nut is tightened down..the wheel wobbles. This would probably cause a premature shaft bending because of the added leverage.

IMO, the only way a VERY poorly seated hex would even occur is if you tried to use the stock Axial plastic hexes that has the little added ring of material on the outside face...and did not trim it off flat when installing beadlocks that were not specifically designed to fit that little ring without modification.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #20

Default Will AX10 lockouts fit the wheely king axle??

Will AX10 lockouts fit the wheely king axle??
tamiyatim is offline   Reply With Quote