Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Hot Racing Disconnect Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Hot Racing Disconnect Review

Here is my review of the Hot Racing Disconnect. This is my first dig, so I went into this as a noob.
(1 = poopoo; 2 = ok, I can make it work; 3 = It is what I expected; 4 = Wow, slick; 5 = Yeah baby, YEAH!)

Packaging and Parts: 3
Everything you get for about $45 is impressive. Two things are noticeably absent, first is a parts list. When you have everything out of the packages you hope that it is all there. The second, instructions. Once you start getting into it, things fall into place, but it would be nice to have a step-by-step to make sure you don’t forget anything. A setup and tuning guide would be nice too. I think HR depends on RC Crawler for this information. When everything was put together I was left with a brass grommet that I couldn’t find a home for.
No stickers… what the hell HR?

Fit and Finish: 3
This should be a 4 – 5 but two of the screws had rounded threads that had to be repaired before I could use them. Also, the movement of the dig output is a bit rougher than what I expected and the action of dig linkage is not smooth as I would have expected. Everything went together good with a solid fit. Compared to the stock tranny outputs, the HR output is solid and an excellent upgrade by itself.

Setup: 3
There is a little trial and error to getting everything adjusted right, at this point I was still wondering if I had put everything together right, again, setup instructions would have helped. Also, there seemed to be a bit of binding when the dig was engaged with the tranny out put. I have been told that this might be due to not torquing the three screws connecting the tranny outputs evenly.
Setup Tips:
-Keep the action of the link-rod connecting the servo to the dig as parallel to the centerline of the powertrain as possible.
-Instead of using the supplied fuel tubing for the linkage rod, I used most of the parts from an E-Maxx shift linkage (springs, servo arm, and rod guide). The install looks cleaner and it is easier to adjust.

On the rocks: 4
This almost gets a 5. The well-used 2055 servo had enough grunt in most conditions to do the job, but it would bind sometimes when the rear was locked, requiring a blip in the reverse direction to get the linkage moved. I’d recommend a servo with at least 150oz of torque. While at the end of my 2nd pack the dig refused to engage to the tranny, at first I thought it was broke, but the drive shaft moved on the dig output preventing the dig from moving all the way.

Overall, I give it a solid 3, there are a few issues that I think HR could do better, if nothing else, post some instructions online. Having been around RC for a few years, I didn’t find the install and setup all that hard, but I think a total noob might get lost and frustrated with it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nice review I am getting a DNA dig unit. But it is still nice to read about the others as some stuff does relate.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks for sharing
Aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #4

Nice review im waiting for mine in the mail
meancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #5

I'm not buying any more HR products until they at least get a customer service number or decide to respond to e-mails.
ohsoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A quick update...

The binding I meantioned in the Setup section is due to the cross-cut on the dig output shaft (the cross-cut that engages to the tranny output shaft), it was cut slightly off center. I am going to test their customer support on this issue.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Not exactly a glowing review and I just ordered one. :-(

Guess I'll be finding out for myself soon.
VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Review update:

I have just completed my first comp with this dig. The rating of a solid 3 still stands. Using a TS-150 servo (193oz @ 6v), the dig engaged and disengaged great, only once did the dig fail to lock back into 4WD, cycling the dig twice got it locked in to 4WD. It would have gotten a 4, but the grub for the shifting rod backed out, but luckily it didn't happen while on a course.

As far as HR's tech support goes, it gets a solid 1. I sent an email asking for a solution for the shaft that wasn't machined right and got no response.

This dig works good, even with the machining error on the dig output shaft, the biggest thing that would keep me from buying one for another AX10 is HR's tech support. I wasn't expecting Traxxas-caliber support, but I was surprised to get no response at all.

Setup tip:

As stated above, one of the keys to getting this dig to work well is to get the linkage as close to being parallel with the crawler's certerline as possible. I used an aluminum servo horn bent about 30degs, this lined the linkage up perfectly.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

my ax10 is my beater. my berg is my darling.
that said I must be the exception. I have had NOT ONE issue with my HR dig. i carefully installed it the first time, proper torque, grease, locktite etc. I havent had to call of email HR and I hope I never have to. For the price of the dig and reliability etc.(4 months of solid beating) I'd probably buy another one for $40 if I couldnt get the parts I need at the hardware store. I run a cheap used losi servo with less than 50oz torque.

I feel lucky, good review
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yea i really think that this dig along with most other will only work as well as who is setting it up. HR was my first dig, threw it together quick at first seemed like it was binding. Pulled it back apart added some grease, four comps and endless cycles still working perfect.

edit - i am using a 645 servo on this also if anyone was wondering.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

i love mine...small and compact...and $40 makes it one heck of a deal...i started out with a 2055 and have now moved to a 5645 since i upgraded my steering servo...i took it apart after a month or so and beveled the edges of the slot in the disconnect shaft and then greased everything...it works INCREDIBLY smooth now...im thinking that if anyone has any issues with it engaging/disengaging...they should try this...i just used a small stone wheel on my dremel...the shaft that the driveshaft attaches to with the slot in it...thats what i beveled the edges on...so that the shaft that goes in the tranny could slip into it easier...it engages plenty deep so thats not an issue
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

guess i need to lube mine to get it to engauge smoother but other than that im 99% happy with mine
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

REVIEW UPDATE...

I roached my dig servo, it was my fault, had the servo horn setup wrong. I replaced it with a Hitec 645MG, I have been tweaking and geeking on the arm adjustment and noticed the end of the dig was dirty and was binding just a bit. I took the whole mess apart, first time sense the install, cleaned, inspected, and relubed. There is VERY little noticable wear, everything looks in perfect condition, and, when it linkage is set up properly, everything works great.

The solid 3 could get pushed to a 3.5 or even a 4, but I am still annoyed at HR's tech support, or lack there of. I have sent three emails with zero replies.

As satisfied as I am with this dig, I am looking at getting a VP Hurtz, I like the idea of the servo bracket being built in and not under the battery tray.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i am satisfied with my hr dig. as stated befor proper servo set up is key but one its dialed in it works good for the 40 dollar price tag. just have to get vreative with the servo mount to run it on a swx.
Fordx4Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #15

I have been looking this dig, good to here some input from others. the price is right!
samyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Packaging and Parts: 3
Everything you get for about $45 is impressive. Two things are noticeably absent, first is a parts list. When you have everything out of the packages you hope that it is all there. The second, instructions. Once you start getting into it, things fall into place, but it would be nice to have a step-by-step to make sure you don’t forget anything. A setup and tuning guide would be nice too. I think HR depends on RC Crawler for this information. When everything was put together I was left with a brass grommet that I couldn’t find a home for.

It seems like nobody includes instructions with their parts. It's a good thing we're all geniuses.
specv510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
Erc

Good Review, I might look into this dig, though there are a few problems, i don't have a comp rig - its just a beater.. Thanks
Erc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #18

i have this DIG, my issues are the same as the OP. no instructions and non-existant customer assistance from HR. but since we are all geniuses...i had no problems. it works well in most situations, smooth...i made sure to clean it up well with the dremel and grease it well before installation (as i do with all parts) and havent had problems. i dont compete with my rig but i run it hard. here are some pics of the instal for refference...it did really help spending some time to line up the servo linkage so it is a straight pull/push on the DIG.

Last edited by overland_yj; 12-10-2009 at 02:03 AM.
overland_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

As a new guy to this hobby, I would probably be screwed buying this with no instructions. Well maybe not as I can usually figure things out.
But if a younger crawler bought something like this or someone who could not figure it out as well they may be in a bad way. Even if a part is a steal, there is no real excuse for not having instructions.
Poor customer service would ensure that I don't buy from them.
Some of the vendors I buy Samurai parts from have given me their cell phone numbers and told me to call if I needed tech support. THAT is customer service that ensures a return customer.
One of these guys has sold me about half of the upgrades for my Zuki, all solid stuff and best customer service I have ever seen.
Great review on this also Greatscott As someone who is new to the site it's great seeing things like this.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote