Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Anybody have this issue with DNA dig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anybody have this issue with DNA dig?

I have been searching and reading this morning with no conclusions.

I am running an axial tranny/DNA dig unit. When I oirigionally put it in--man it worked beautifly. But the last month or so I have noticed the dig will wanna lock when torqued (for those who ran the R2 tranny can relate) almost to the point to when I have to unload it by backing up a small tad.

So I looked it over and fining alot of side to side play in the rear output. I havent pulled it out yet and open it to look at the inernals because it still works pretty god--but not like it did when new.

has anybody ran across this? I am going to assume its the bushing in the rear of the case that the output rides on....

Thanks for any info...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I just upgraded to the heavy duty steel set for the same reason. Then once I pulleld it apart I realized the inner center guide that alligns the two lock gears attached to the output shaft bent causing enough wobble to want to bind every now and again. The steel replacements are very nice and its silky smooth after polishing the output shaft and got rid of a lot of slop.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

that side to side thing is your issue (i beleive)

it says in the online instructions once you get the 2 outputs mounted in the tranny, prior to mounting the dig case, SPECEFICALLY to make sure what you got goin on aint happening.

id take the bad boy apart and rebuild it.

the recheck your end points, make sure its nice a greasy and go from there
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldlevi View Post
I just upgraded to the heavy duty steel set for the same reason. Then once I pulleld it apart I realized the inner center guide that alligns the two lock gears attached to the output shaft bent causing enough wobble to want to bind every now and again. The steel replacements are very nice and its silky smooth after polishing the output shaft and got rid of a lot of slop.
So you are refering to replcing the plastic type bushing that the rear output rides on?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

I would have a hard time believing that the bushing would be the cause, unless you have alot of wobble in the system, thus widening the bushing race. I think your drive cogs has worn, and whatever material that has worn away is gunking up whatever grease you are using. I would try cleaning the internals and relubing the cogs with some fresh grease. As long as the cogs are engaging and not poping out of dig or 4wd, I see no reason to upgrade to the steel internals at this point.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I would have a hard time believing that the bushing would be the cause, unless you have alot of wobble in the system, thus widening the bushing race. I think your drive cogs has worn, and whatever material that has worn away is gunking up whatever grease you are using. I would try cleaning the internals and relubing the cogs with some fresh grease. As long as the cogs are engaging and not poping out of dig or 4wd, I see no reason to upgrade to the steel internals at this point.
If that is indeed the case--how can I go about getting a new bushing for the rear output?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
"HOLLYWOOD"

I had problems until I swapped out my internals to the metal and once I took it apart saw the aluminum wore in from getting binded. But now it's super smooth and the full size servo helps a ton also.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ok so for shits and giggles I just tore it apart. I didn't find any shavings. Heck I barely see any wear. The only metalic I see is just a bit around the cogs but I would think that would be normal..