Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Drive shaft questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Drive shaft questions?

hey so i have a ax10 with the plastic drive shafts and they keep breaking so i wanna upgrade them to something metal. wat is a good set to buy that are pretty well priced?
thanks
jakedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I ran pede shafts with a 10t puller for a long time and never broke them. They're plastic and the same size as the axials, but are of a much more durable plastic. And they're cheap!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJH85&P=ML
They may need to be lengthened, but that's really not an issue. Jato shafts look cool, but they're no stronger than pedes and they are more expensive.

Maxx and revo shafts are also much stronger than the stock axials. The revo's are practically indestructible, though they are really huge and fairly expensive. Maxx shafts are plenty strong for a 2.2, though they require some work to adapt their 6mm yokes to the 5mm axial axles and transmission. There are several threads around about how to do that.

If you're dead set on metal driveshafts, the MIP ones and the RC4WD ones are the only ones I'm aware of that are durable at all, and neither is cheap. Steer well clear of the cheapo chineese (integy) junk, it's useless and shockingly weak.

Edit: you may also want to look at your driveshaft angles. If they're too extreme, you'll break them pretty easily.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 07-04-2009 at 06:27 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I ran pede shafts with a 10t puller for a long time and never broke them. They're plastic and the same size as the axials, but are of a much more durable plastic. And they're cheap!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJH85&P=ML
They may need to be lengthened, but that's really not an issue. Jato shafts look cool, but they're no stronger than pedes and they are more expensive.

Maxx and revo shafts are also much stronger than the stock axials. The revo's are practically indestructible, though they are really huge and fairly expensive. Maxx shafts are plenty strong for a 2.2, though they require some work to adapt their 6mm yokes to the 5mm axial axles and transmission. There are several threads around about how to do that.
X2 on all of that. I ran Pede shafts and steel Traxxas yokes on my Axial with a 10t puller on 3 cells for a long time. Held up reasonably well. Went through a few over the course of 2 1/2 seasons. Pretty good in my book. I had more troubles with spur gears myself. If you do the Maxx shaft mod and run Maxx shafts,you'll probably have very little trouble,if any. That's whats in my sons Axial,he's got a heavier finger than I do. He never breaks a drive shaft.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

oh ok thanks man. yea i dont think the angle is too extreme at all. the part that broke wat the hole in the end of the shaft that the pin goes through. the hole broke open. so i think the torque broke it when it got inbetween some rocks.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedizzle View Post
oh ok thanks man. yea i dont think the angle is too extreme at all. the part that broke wat the hole in the end of the shaft that the pin goes through. the hole broke open. so i think the torque broke it when it got inbetween some rocks.
Yea, I tore the ears off the driveshafts that came with my SCX in about 3 packs, the pedes hold up much better
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

oh ok sweet. thanks man.