Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Thomas's FF-4 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thomas's FF-4 build

this is whats left of my ax10 RTC that i got about a year ago. I wasnt planning on making a build thread but i decited to any way. i am trying to make this rig using alot of vendors- for sale thing to support rcc... that and i am short on money.
specs so far are:
Under Ground Crawlers FF-4 chassis ( thanks to juan)
Losi rock carvers (thanks Monkeyracer)
Traxxas waterproof servo (for now)
Home made links using 8/32 inch all thread with 1/4 inch brake line on it
Stock AX10 rims (for now)
Stock AX10 Shocks (for now)
Home made front 4 link/ servo/ battery plate made from stock battery tray.
Stock AX10 tranny
Traxxas rod ends
Any on to the pics

front battery/ 4 link plate/ servo plate

mandatory flex shot

Tell me what you think and any sugestions or anyting are very welcome
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a solid start. I would flip the skid around though and run the tranny mirrored with the motor on the right side of the rig, it will help with torque twist. Your tranny is already set, just flip the skid 180 degrees
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Looks like a solid start. I would flip the skid around though and run the tranny mirrored with the motor on the right side of the rig, it will help with torque twist. Your tranny is already set, just flip the skid 180 degrees
i did that originaly but my motor is too big to fit with it mirrored i might be able to if i try harder though, if yours is mirrored could you post pictures of how you did it?
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

What motor are you using? I know when I started the mock up of my FF-4 a HPI can motor was a tad too long...a open endbell motor should be fine though.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yours is already mirrored. You tranny holes may not be far forward enough to squeeze the motor in. Mine are as far forward as possible. I did have to grind the motor plate for clearance though.

Here is my build thread if you have not seen it:

DT's FF-4 build
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
What motor are you using? I know when I started the mock up of my FF-4 a HPI can motor was a tad too long...a open endbell motor should be fine though.
i am using the stock motor right now cause my other one burnt up. i am going to use a homes hobbies epic motor when i have money. i already grinded down the motor quite a bit to make it fit how i had it before. i had it running before i just was making new links and servo plate, thats why its all apart.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Another option would be to get another skid from Jaun & drill the holes for the trans as far forward as possible, like DickyT did to his.

I had to do that to fit in my DNA dig....
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Another option would be to get another skid from Jaun & drill the holes for the trans as far forward as possible, like DickyT did to his.

thats probably what i am going to end up doing.... or get an rc4wd r2 tranny
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

Great start Thomas! I drilled mine about as far forward as possible, and Richard has his the same way. I ground my motor plate all the way back to motor to make clearance. I know that not everyone wants to do that, so the pre-drilled skids are as far forward as possible without grinding parts.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

not much of an update but i just got back from hobbyclown and got new traxxas driveshafts, if you didnt notice i didnt have the male half of my front shaft... it broke last time i was driving it.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

i found a place to mount the servo so i can put my huge ass venom battery on top of the axle, i get all the steering out of it except at full steer the tires rub the battery... i need lipos!!!

tell me what you think. if anyone has lipo stuff they want to sell leme know!, any coments and sugestions are welcome
Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Turn the skid around and grind the motor plate down you dont need it sticking pass the motor. I also had to grind down the chassie to make my VF dig fit, and the rod end under the dig. everything fits and works great now, just got it finished up on Tuesday night.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

i finished mirroring the trany, i had to drill new holes in the skid plate and grind part of the chassis on part of it but it works so its all good.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

so today i went to hobbyclown and got a VW baja bug body and was wondering if it would be totally gay if it was yellow with purple on part of the hood, i want to use these colors because the chassis is yellow and the rims are purple
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
so today i went to hobbyclown and got a VW baja bug body and was wondering if it would be totally gay if it was yellow with purple on part of the hood, i want to use these colors because the chassis is yellow and the rims are purple
LA Lakers crawler!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

i was out testing it today and the rock carvers kinda suck! do you guys think i should go back to my hammers? i need to know fast cause i have a comp tommrow!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I would say the hammers, sure something else would be good but they should do the trick http://axialracing.com/wordpress/200...get-rtc-build/ Scroll down some to see how to easily sipe your ties if you decide to. Trust me, siping does work
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I would say the hammers, sure something else would be good but they should do the trick http://axialracing.com/wordpress/200...get-rtc-build/ Scroll down some to see how to easily sipe your ties if you decide to. Trust me, siping does work
i already siped them a while ago. the rock carvers are kinda a sad excues for a tire, i kinda got screwed in that trade.
i got my body all painted up and cut to pieces i will post pictures of it in just a minute!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
i already siped them a while ago. the rock carvers are kinda a sad excues for a tire, i kinda got screwed in that trade.
i got my body all painted up and cut to pieces i will post pictures of it in just a minute!
Gatcha... cool, you may want to give them a try siping... never know I am happy that I went from some "crappy" Mudslingers and CR-01 tires straight to rovers... good choice... i think so

When you get the time and/or $$$ Delrin links would be killer on that car, Delrin is relatively cheap at McMastercarr... I got to say the difference I noticed was huge compared to Aluminum "grinding" over the rocks
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

ok a few updates, i made a new back 4 link thing that works alot better than how i had it before. i got a new bug body thats all painted to match the chassis and rims. PICTURES

i think i cut the body a lil to much

sorry its sideways i couldnt fix it for some reason on photobucket. if you look at the hood it is accually kinda clear, i even did like 3 pretty thick coats to.

quick little 4 link bracket thing, it works tons better than the old way i had it.

another shot showing the clearness. the lines are not so great but its ok for my second body i think.

the total running weight ended up being 5 pounds 11 ounces its a little pigy i am actually happy with it though, i might take some weight out of the front though

i was not intending to have an la lakers body but it just happened i guess.

if you were concedering gettin the ff-4 chassis or the f-4 GET IT!!! it is amazing especially concidering the price. great job juan on this one!!

i am comping it tommrow so i will try to get pictures of that on here tommrow or friday

if anyone has a questin coment or sugestion please dont hesitate to say anything.