Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: toe issues??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default toe issues??

How goes it. How are you guys adjusting toe issues on BTA kits that are a fixed link. My truck appears to be toing out (fronts are wider than backs) and I am wondering how to straighten this out. I am also wondering if I am worrying about something that does not really matter? Thanks.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Tossin' Salad

How bad is the toe out? Also, what knuckles are you using?
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I ran a little toe out on my truck with RCP Alum Knuckles to help the Ackerman. The issue could probably be adressed with Axial or VP zero ackerman knuckles, but I wouldn't worry about
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I am actually running the ckrc kit but I am thinking it would probably be the same with each kit.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I am running the Vp zero ackerman knuckles with bta and I had to make a longer tie rod to fix the toe out issue.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Tossin' Salad

I am building a tie rod right now out of aluminum, and it is 153mm eye to eye and should give me just a hair of toe out.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Rick it sounds like your C's have moved. If they slide or get pulled to the outside of the axle it will cause tow out. With the C's pushed all the way in towards the middle of the axle you should be about neutral. Thats what I would check first. Otherwise theres not much you can do with a fixed drag link.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
How goes it. How are you guys adjusting toe issues on BTA kits that are a fixed link. My truck appears to be toing out (fronts are wider than backs) and I am wondering how to straighten this out. I am also wondering if I am worrying about something that does not really matter? Thanks.
I've noticed the same on my rig (Axial BTA kit) visually - I haven't measured anything but I wasn't too worried about it.
swollen goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I have checked and double checked my C's and they are as far in as possible. The toe out is not so bad that my truck does not drive straight but if you look hard at it you can definitely see it with the your own eyes. To be honest I do not really like the idea of a non adjustable linkage anyway. Anyone have a diy bta linkage that is adjustable, or anyone have knowledge of a kit on the market that is adjustable?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Which BTA kit? What knuckles? Usually, fixed length steering kits are built for certain knuckles...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swollen goat View Post
I've noticed the same on my rig (Axial BTA kit) visually - I haven't measured anything but I wasn't too worried about it.
This kit will make the them tow out. One of my buddies just used a Axial rod and cut to a bit longer size then added it to his set up and Bam! it was gone
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
RCC Addict

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/new-ckrc...-b-p-1478.html

This is the kit I have. Comes with knuckles, linkage and servo (drag?) link. I installed it on STRC c's. I noticed on another thread where someone mounted the C's wrong (apparently they are assymetrical) anyone know if the STXC's are?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/new-ckrc...-b-p-1478.html

This is the kit I have. Comes with knuckles, linkage and servo (drag?) link. I installed it on STRC c's. I noticed on another thread where someone mounted the C's wrong (apparently they are assymetrical) anyone know if the STXC's are?
I'm pretty sure they are but, I think it will just make them point down more then up.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Ahh......well, I dont believe that those knuckles are for zero ackerman....so, the truck is probably toe out to help with that angle when turning. My guess is the tires are parallel when turned to full lock.

At the low speeds of a crawler, it wont hurt anything to have the truck toed out a bit. Now, dont try that on your 1:1...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I'm gonna play with it some tonight. We shall see my old setup was straight so that link should give me a base to work with. Then I can work backwards from then.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Welp here you have it. Took everything apart. Inspected the c hubs. noticed there are some differences. I still think I had them on right the first time and they were tight. I then put everything back together the way it was and all is right in the world somehow. I don't get it. I think there might have been a small amount of play in how the knuckle bushing was installed and that might have created the toe. Anyhow this is the best way I can summarize. To quote one of the most intellectuall films ever produced. "She falls in well her eyes go crossed, gets kicked by a mule and they go straight again"
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

well that solves it your good to go now...I just built my own tie rod and put revo end on so there's no binding when you turn!
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

i put the BTA kit from Axial on the other night and i had to turn my end points down to like 80 of 125. im running spektrum dx3.0. is this normal? and also when im reversing and turning the wheels all the way they turn tighter or in farther the driving forward while turning. is this common as well
keithgemmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

on the turning farther in reverse than forward, it is normal. it is caused by drive line bind, on the ax10 all 4 wheels are locked together (they all ALWAYS rotate the same speed) in a 1:1 truck there are differentials to compensate for this in both the front and rear axle as well as in the transfer case. (in some cases not all) do a search on the web it will explain it better good luck
towjockeyrc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #20
RCC Addict

OK kids. I finally did something about this toe issue. I wanted adjustability but I did not need much. I simply wanted to be able to adjust my link based on how my steering performance looked at all angles and also be able to adjust for any plastic hangups on the axle housings. Anyway this is what I did. Took the ckrc link and cut off the non servo end. I then drilled two holes in the aluminum link and mounted a small block of delrin plastic with two screws. I then put a small hole in the delrin block and put a set screw in the delrin. once in I used a traxxis rod end. This accomplised two things. It gives me adjustability and also reduces the amount of binding when in movement. I are happi now! I will try and post pics soon.