RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/272678-pipedreams-sporty-fastback-build.html)

PipeDreams 09-29-2010 03:31 PM

PipeDreams Sporty FastBack Build!!!

Alright after takin the Fastback on a stroll at our last comp I decided to ditch my sling shot for a chassis I feel has more potential. It was a last min thing I put together so I had 1 battery through it the night before and I managed to grab 4th with no drive time and the truck wasn't setup well at all.

Had an old crawler with a narrowed stock chassis that I took everything off of. Following some advice from Gunnar, DickyT, BillJ, and Rocky666 I had great setup guide lines to go by. So I have to give a big thanks to those guys for the great builds. I'm now pulling it back apart to re-do somethings and get it dialed in even better and closer to how they have their rigs. Anyway here's some pics and specs of it the day I ran it.

Mamba Max (old school)
CC/BEC
Hobbico CS170
Dx3E
Cheap Integy 35T
Eritex Comp Heavy axial offset fronts with Sedona's
Eritex Comp Solids berg offset rear with rovers
Axial CVD with Gunnar Pin
Axial BTA
Aluminum C's
STRC rear straight axle with extra bearing
Underdrive Rear gears
Stock Axial shocks with WK springs
Straight front lower Brake line links
Straight front&rear upper links 5/16 delrin rod
30 degree bent lower rear brake line links
And some crappy panels I made quick to make it legal lol.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/Marks009.jpg
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/Marks010.jpg
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/Marks011.jpg
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/Marks012.jpg

On my second last gate of the day I had a link break off the diff and rip a shock apart but still managed to finish without repair! An earlier course I also Snapped an axial cvd with gunnar pin inside. But that one I had to take a repair :cry:

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/Marks013.jpg

DickyT 09-29-2010 03:36 PM

About time we get to see this "thumbsup" Looks good.

C*H*U*D 09-29-2010 04:01 PM

I've always wondered about bolting directly to those posts...wonder no more!

Glad to see this finally running "thumbsup"

scatterbrains 09-29-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 2661940)
I always wondered about bolting directly to those posts...wonder no more!

Glad to see this finally running "thumbsup"

i used to run mine to them, but did that too many times and went back to a plate:lmao:

Duuuuuuuude 09-29-2010 05:25 PM

Build is looking good! "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbrains (Post 2662031)
i used to run mine to them, but did that too many times and went back to a plate:lmao:

Same here. :ror:

DickyT 09-29-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 2661940)
I've always wondered about bolting directly to those posts...wonder no more!

They have a tendency to break the posts that way. Medium bind is all it takes. Rear plate or better yet UGC D plate is the way to go "thumbsup"

shelby 09-29-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickyT (Post 2662138)
They have a tendency to break the posts that way. Medium bind is all it takes. Rear plate or better yet UGC D plate is the way to go "thumbsup"

It looks like the passenger rear is already broken.

DickyT 09-29-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby (Post 2662141)
It looks like the passenger rear is already broken.

So it is. I missed that when I took a quick glance at the photo and was drawn to the shock.

I win the captain obvious award for the week...

PipeDreams 09-29-2010 06:35 PM

Ya it broke in the comp... I kinda expected it to but I'm still waiting on my UGC plate. Should be here any day now I hope. I'll post up all the new goodies I'll be getting soon. The plate is just one of many.

billj 09-29-2010 07:38 PM

Looks pretty good, except the broken parts of course!

samuraikid 09-30-2010 08:56 AM

you placed 5th in the comp actuality lol.
cant wait to see it all dialed in "thumbsup"

mxracer33x 09-30-2010 01:44 PM

Looks good. Typically I run the Lower links in delrin and the uppers in aluminum. The delrin slides better, and the aluminum is stiffer and will keep the axles aligned better and last longer if you get a dig.

PipeDreams 09-30-2010 11:45 PM

Ya you guys did warn me of the link breaking off but I was willing to take my chances and see... I even used super long hardware hoping it would help! Oh well my link mount should be here soon if it's not in the mailbox already. Maybe I'll check! Nope still not.

I was torn on what to do for links.. I like how delrin slides but I hate how much it flexes... Smashing it against ledges you can watch it bend! That's why I went with the brake line for lowers... stiff and strong as all hell... plus it keeps the weight nice and low. Uppers well they don't need to be as stout with no dig and I wanted to reduce as much weight up high as I can so I went delrin!

Well I got a few things I need to decide on... I'm trying to keep the weight as low as I can and as little rotating weight as possible. Thus I'm thinking of getting some felsenfest knuckles and weights with either VP slw or wheel works rims. Just don't know if I can get enough weight in front as I need with that setup or if I'll be forced to get DH instead?

PipeDreams 10-01-2010 12:19 AM

Man I did some number crunching... to get those knuckle weights to even come close to a DH empty you need 5 added plates in an slw 725 hub and it still isn't even as heavy as the DH is empty lol... I guess I'm gonna go with the DH/SLW...Damn that's a chunk of cash, but still not as much as the knuckle weights! What do you guys think? What hubs you guys run for your DH and SLW?

-TC5racer- 10-03-2010 03:20 PM

That looks sick!!!

billj 10-03-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PipeDreams (Post 2664324)
Man I did some number crunching... to get those knuckle weights to even come close to a DH empty you need 5 added plates in an slw 725 hub and it still isn't even as heavy as the DH is empty lol... I guess I'm gonna go with the DH/SLW...Damn that's a chunk of cash, but still not as much as the knuckle weights! What do you guys think? What hubs you guys run for your DH and SLW?

Keep you eye on the classified section for the wheels. I got lucky and got a set (4) dh pro comps and a set(4) SLW V1's for $230. It worked out prefect,one set for me and one for my son. Point is if your not in a big hurry for the rims, maybe watch the classifieds. Or put a add in the wanted section. Im using 585 hubs for the DH in front,600 for the SLW V1 in rear.

PipeDreams 10-03-2010 09:57 PM

Thanks TC! But this is really just a quick build up so far and I can do much better... Check out some of the other guys I've mentioned. Their FB and FF are just plain nutty. Hoping when it's done mine will be half as pretty as theirs lol.

Ya I think that's what i will do... Hard sometimes when I'm not always home... I drive truck for a living and last time I was hunting the for sale section VP wheels flew fast! But I got all winter to keep an eye out for them. Am I getting this wrong? you have a wider hex in the rear then the front?

PipeDreams 10-06-2010 01:52 PM

Well I'm ordering some parts for the beast today...

The new BWD motor plate to help keep weight off the top. http://billet-works.com/axial_ax-10_parts
Some super 300's :evil:
Some VP zero acker knuckles
and some VP shock mounts...

I know my birthday is coming soon so I'm planning on getting some new traxxas big bores and a tekin fxr from my LHS or as a gift.

I was gonna try out the Felsenfest knuckles and weights but I just can't justify the cost so the VP's and some weighted wheels will have to do. Watching the For sale section for some wheels isn't easy when I'm gone 4 days a week :cry:

If I don't find any by spring I guess I'll just have to get some new ones! :flipoff:

billj 10-06-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PipeDreams (Post 2668399)
Thanks TC! But this is really just a quick build up so far and I can do much better... Check out some of the other guys I've mentioned. Their FB and FF are just plain nutty. Hoping when it's done mine will be half as pretty as theirs lol.

Ya I think that's what i will do... Hard sometimes when I'm not always home... I drive truck for a living and last time I was hunting the for sale section VP wheels flew fast! But I got all winter to keep an eye out for them. Am I getting this wrong? you have a wider hex in the rear then the front?

The SLW wheel does not have as much offset as the DH procomp. With sedonas on front my track is 10 3/4". on the rear with rovers my track is 9 3/4". I was also looking at the BWD motor plate, lets us know how that works for you,thanks

PipeDreams 10-06-2010 03:31 PM

Wow that's a huge difference! I think I'm at 10.25 in front right now and it's not wide enough... I'll need it wider with the new 300's! Your's rub links or anything turned full?