Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Locker Case Gasket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Locker Case Gasket

How important is the gasket that is supposed to go between the bevel gear and differential case? and if it is very important where can i purchase some? im putting HD bevel gears and aluminum diff case in my axles
keithgemmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

also what is the proper grease/lube for the bevel gears locker and trans gears i bought.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Tossin' Salad

That gasket is not needed. As for grease, any automotive grease will do. I use Castrol Red.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 09-12-2010 at 11:27 PM.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Mobil 1 synthetic will work great and will not break down the plastic axle halves.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Mobil-1-Grease
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIG_RIDER View Post
Mobil 1 synthetic will work great and will not break down the plastic axle halves.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Mobil-1-Grease
X2. I use it in my axles, trans, and dig.

But for twice the price of that little plunger full of grease, you could go to Autozone and get a small tub that has enough to last you the rest of your life.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
X2. I use it in my axles, trans, and dig.

But for twice the price of that little plunger full of grease, you could go to Autozone and get a small tub that has enough to last you the rest of your life.
Yeah, exactly. I bought what I could find here in China...and it is a TUB. Oh well. I have enough grease to lube 1000 crawlers.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yep, been using this for over 2 years now.

kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
That gasket is not needed.
Casey
I beg to differ! Without the gasket the ring gear and diff case assembly is a little thinner and it can float sideways between the bearings. Then the ring and pinion gear mesh will open up a bit, which will lead to noisy gears that wear out faster.

You can make something out of thick paper or thin card stock, good enough. Any shop that sells Axial parts should have them too.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

thank you all so much the last time i asked a newb question like this i got yelled at and made fun of. thanks for all the help i think im just gonna get myself a big tub of mobil 1. and as for the gaskets i found some on tower hobbies. is there any way you think i will be able to use my stock ones over again tho and save my new ones.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Suck it up!

I've had mine apart a few times, always reused the old gasket. Its just a rubber ring.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I've had mine apart a few times, always reused the old gasket. Its just a rubber ring.
Rubber?? I must be thinking of a different gasket....I thought he was talking about the paper one.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
I beg to differ! Without the gasket the ring gear and diff case assembly is a little thinner and it can float sideways between the bearings. Then the ring and pinion gear mesh will open up a bit, which will lead to noisy gears that wear out faster.

You can make something out of thick paper or thin card stock, good enough. Any shop that sells Axial parts should have them too.

Cheers.
its so thin, it really doesnt make that big of a diffrence
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Rubber?? I must be thinking of a different gasket....I thought he was talking about the paper one.
Guess I haven't had mine apart as much as I thought I have.

I could have sworn there was a rubber o-ring. Maybe that was the TMaxx diff...
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

yea im talkin about the white paper one axial #AX30385
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgemmill View Post
thank you all so much the last time i asked a newb question like this i got yelled at and made fun of. thanks for all the help i think im just gonna get myself a big tub of mobil 1. and as for the gaskets i found some on tower hobbies. is there any way you think i will be able to use my stock ones over again tho and save my new ones.
Even if it tears when you pull it apart you can just put it back as is. Just be sure the orientation of the parts is the same, and don't lose or remove any of it. It isn't sealing anything so it's not that critical from that point of view, it's just to maintain dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Yeah, I was. It's actually proper gasket material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
its so thin, it really doesnt make that big of a diffrence
That's right, it doesn't. The truck will still run. It's about .05mm but those are smallish gears and that little difference can really affect the mesh, they'll run rougher, make more noise and wear faster. The gasket is easy, why not leave it there?

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

i agree thats why i ordered two new ones and bought myself a tube(size for grease gun) of mobil 1 synthetic for $7.99. how much grease should i apply tho? would anyone have a build pic by chance?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgemmill View Post
how much grease should i apply tho? would anyone have a build pic by chance?
Fill it with grease! Pack the bearings, grease the pinion shaft before installing it, fill the locker case before closing it, fill the ring gear with grease and put a bunch more in the housing then drop the gear in, put some more in the other housing half and close it up. Wipe off the outside afterwards.

In other words, fill it!

Cheers.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
Fill it with grease! Pack the bearings, grease the pinion shaft before installing it, fill the locker case before closing it, fill the ring gear with grease and put a bunch more in the housing then drop the gear in, put some more in the other housing half and close it up. Wipe off the outside afterwards.

In other words, fill it!

Cheers.
That will be a waste of a lot of grease./\/\/\

All that's needed is a light coating on the gear teeth.

RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

This is a well timed thread. I recently purchased different ring and pinions and was wondering myself what to use for grease. I think you did right by replacing the gasket too. I have noticed that just the small amount of wear on my current ring and pinion have made it a fair amount noisier. For the noise factor alone I would want tolerances as tight as possible.
Bruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIG_RIDER View Post
That will be a waste of a lot of grease./\/\/\

All that's needed is a light coating on the gear teeth.
Again, I beg to differ! The tiny bit of grease you have there may see you through a few hours, but my own experience tells me that is nowhere near enough for the long term. Is that grease really expensive? Why be so frugal?

So maybe my way of filling it is a bit over the top, but I still say more is better. Grease dries a little with use and exposure, and when it gets dust and debris from gear wear. It gets squeezed out onto the housings, where it stays, away from the parts that really need it. It can get abrasive when dirty. It loses it's stickiness and doesn't flow so well. All good reasons to put more, not less.

I coat all bearings and metal parts, whether they move against each other or not, to lubricate and to stop corrosion, and I fill cavities to exclude water and dust. A big blob of grease is less likely to dry out, and handles contaminants better too.

So maybe you don't need to "fill it!", but I believe you do need a lot more than a light smeer on the gears only.

Cheers.