Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 buzzing loud at 1/2 throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default AX10 buzzing loud at 1/2 throttle

I just got my (lightly used) rtr ax10 in the mail today and noticed that at anything under 1/2 throttle the motor seems to buzz kinda loud. Is this normal for this type of truck/motor/esc? Everything else seems great. It runs and drives fine. I'm just not sure if the motor or esc might be on its way out.
I've been out of the r/c stuff for about 16-17 years and totally new to this rock crawling stuff.

Thanks
dj23gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Could be a chip on a few teeth on the spur gear. Sometimes you can't even see them.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Could be a chip on a few teeth on the spur gear. Sometimes you can't even see them.

I'm not sure thats the problem. It buzzes when i'm holding the throttle slightly to hold the truck from sliding backwards and i'm not moving. It will even buzz standing still if i barely touch the throttle. It doesn't buzz at all when i am completely off the throttle.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Ahh,the way you stated it first,sounded like maybe a spur. With the new evidence...it definitely sounds like something in the motor or ESC. Can you see the comm? Shiney brass/bronze color or purple?

Honestly,it's kinda hard to tell without hearing it. Allot of crawlers will "whine" or "buzz" a little under little throttle input. Outrunners or Cobalt pullers are even more prone to making a little noise.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ahh,the way you stated it first,sounded like maybe a spur. With the new evidence...it definitely sounds like something in the motor or ESC. Can you see the comm? Shiney brass/bronze color or purple?

Honestly,it's kinda hard to tell without hearing it. Allot of crawlers will "whine" or "buzz" a little under little throttle input. Outrunners or Cobalt pullers are even more prone to making a little noise.

I actually found a few ax10 video's that didn't have blaring background music and they seem to have the same whine/buzz as i have. This is probly the best one i've come across. It gets loud when he comes close to the camera

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5zg9m_axial-ax10_auto
Old 11-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj23gsx View Post
I actually found a few ax10 video's that didn't have blaring background music and they seem to have the same whine/buzz as i have. This is probly the best one i've come across. It gets loud when he comes close to the camera

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5zg9m_axial-ax10_auto

That sure does sound like an outrunner in the video,pretty sure it is. Do you have a temp gun? Might run it a while and see if something gets hot. I could be of more help if I had the truck here. I know thats not possible though. I know we've kindly ruled out the gears,something to keep in mind though,tight gear mesh on the spur gear will make noise and cause heat.

It's a RTR right....is it all stock? If not,what motor/ESC/battery and servo? If it's got an outrunner,I'd bet your good. You'll want to put a brushed motor in it soon anyway. That noise from a crawler with an outrunner is pretty much normal.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj23gsx View Post
I just got my (lightly used) rtr ax10 in the mail today and noticed that at anything under 1/2 throttle the motor seems to buzz kinda loud. Is this normal for this type of truck/motor/esc? Everything else seems great. It runs and drives fine. I'm just not sure if the motor or esc might be on its way out.
I've been out of the r/c stuff for about 16-17 years and totally new to this rock crawling stuff.

Thanks

Check the magnets in the motor! Could be cracked, and spinning around in the can!
RockCrusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:

It's a RTR right....is it all stock? If not,what motor/ESC/battery and servo? If it's got an outrunner,I'd bet your good. You'll want to put a brushed motor in it soon anyway. That noise from a crawler with an outrunner is pretty much normal.

Yes its a RTR version and from what i can tell everything is stock. The motor is the green axial one. I see a number on the side that reads ax24004 if thats of any help. I really only get the noise at part throttle or when i am trying to creep slowly up something. At wot no buzzing at all.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Most RC cars and trucks make that noise. Try a drill at part throttle. from what i can tell from your description its normal. Just a motor under load. One fix might be to try a 55t motor, it could be that the 27t thats in it is working to hard.
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Brushed motors like that are usually very smooth on start up and low speed, one of the reasons we still use them for crawling. I'd suggest take it out and open it up, check and clean the brushes and commutator.

Some ESC's can be a little rough, is it still the stock one?

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
Sometimes, I make things.

Just run it wide open all the time
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Holy Old Thread Guys!!! Lol This truck is long gone.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

See what happens when you dont put a resolve to the problem?

Well at least we know someone can use the search. . .
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
See what happens when you dont put a resolve to the problem?

Well at least we know someone can use the search. . .

I do suppose that selling the truck did resolve the problem