RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Which AX Chassis to choose? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/298056-ax-chassis-choose.html)

ernie28ernie 02-07-2011 02:13 AM

Which AX Chassis to choose?

Hi!

I would like to modernize my AX10. Which Chassis should I choose?

BWD Wedge
BWD SSS-R
Gatekeeper GC3A

Which one is your favorite?
What advantages do the chassis have?

Martin

firekiddc02 02-07-2011 04:50 AM

Gc3a hands down. It was designed by the 3 time champion and it flat out works. It also comes complete with everything you need including rod ends and is very easy to assmeble.

cagedcbr 02-07-2011 03:05 PM

Check this out, I was just in the same boat as you. I chose the GC3a which is on order and hopefully here soon.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...light=cagedcbr

gatecreeper 02-07-2011 07:44 PM

my gc-3a is awesome top notch quality"thumbsup"

TrailDawg362 02-07-2011 10:03 PM

GC3A all the way! The parts all work together for one awesome performer. Add underdrive/overdrive gears and you're set "thumbsup".

TSK 02-07-2011 10:46 PM

I have a sss-R so my opnion is biased. I think the orsion design is very outside the box and keeps the rig light. Perfect for a sportsman rig, and is very easy to setup with a BTA system.

In my opinion, most sprung chassis (such as the wedge and gc3a) are pretty much just a matter of taste. They all can be setup to perform well, and when it comes down to it, the main diggerence is asthetics & space (for electronics and dig setups.)

The only other real consideration that needs to be accounted for is the completeness of the chassis kit. Some come with uppers and lowers, some don't. Some come with hardware, some don't.

I would suggest that you find some build threads on here, compare them, and choose what feels right.

bubbaskyjacker 02-07-2011 10:59 PM

get a kit like the gc3a or the bender if you want some what limited set up time. if you go with any other (chassis only) you will need to make all your own links and figure out what works and what doesnt.

my rc building attention span is 1-2 hours so i routinely get annoyed ha ha i probably have over 40 hours in tinkering.

so kit if you want to run it and have it work out the box

just a chassis if you like tinkering and trying to figure stuff out

DioptricStraw 02-08-2011 06:37 AM

I run an swx droop and love it. It comes with links which makes it an easy install but you can always change them up later. I like it because it gives a good starting point to start tweaking and tuning.

C*H*U*D 02-08-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing (Post 2913419)
They all can be setup to perform well,

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbaskyjacker (Post 2913437)

so kit if you want to run it and have it work out the box

just a chassis if you like tinkering and trying to figure stuff out

I agree with both these statements. A kit will get you up and running quicker, but if you like to build, a bare chassis is a good choice. Personally I like building links and messing around with stuff, and I've always been a big fan of Mayhem's LS2.0 chassis. I've never built with one, but I've always admired how clean it is and the style looks great.

ernie28ernie 02-08-2011 11:30 AM

Hi!

Thank you all for your replys! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedcbr (Post 2912360)
Check this out, I was just in the same boat as you. I chose the GC3a which is on order and hopefully here soon.

I've seen your thread, but although I have Mayhem wheelsand I am highly satisfied, the chassis is of no thought for me personally. The same vor the VP chassis. :)
The SWX is a good time on the market, maybe there are newer and better designs?

Quote:

I have a sss-R so my opnion is biased. I think the orsion design is very outside the box and keeps the rig light. Perfect for a sportsman rig, and is very easy to setup with a BTA system.

In my opinion, most sprung chassis (such as the wedge and gc3a) are pretty much just a matter of taste. They all can be setup to perform well, and when it comes down to it, the main diggerence is asthetics & space (for electronics and dig setups.)

The only other real consideration that needs to be accounted for is the completeness of the chassis kit. Some come with uppers and lowers, some don't. Some come with hardware, some don't.

I would suggest that you find some build threads on here, compare them, and choose what feels right.

Well, I studied the SSS-R threads and liked the chassis more and more. It is a little eerie in looks, that point would fit me well :)

I've sent BWD an email and a pn but didn't receive an answer :(

The Wedge with it taper design (low front, higher back) looks very fashionable, the GC3A seems a little more conventional.

I would like a complete chassis-kit, albeit sooner or later some modifications will follow ;)

But to dial in all the link-geometry with the only starting point of the chassis-sides is too much for me, for now...

So I'm still a little biased with the favorite Gatekeeper!

How much do you rate a taper design?
The height of the Gatekeeper chassis-plates seems a little much, but maybe I'm just wrong?

Looking forward for your replys ;)

Martin

ernie28ernie 02-08-2011 11:33 AM

Hi!

Quote:

I've seen your thread, but although I have Mayhem wheelsand I am highly satisfied, the chassis is of no thought for me personally. The same vor the VP chassis. :)

Quote:

Well, I studied the SSS-R threads and liked the chassis more and more. It is a little eerie in looks, that point would fit me well :)

The Wedge with it taper design (low front, higher back) looks very fashionable, the GC3A seems a little more conventional.

I would like a complete chassis-kit, albeit sooner or later some modifications will follow ;)

But to dial in all the link-geometry with the only starting point of the chassis-sides is too much for me, for now...

The height of the Gatekeeper chassis-plates seems a little much, but maybe I'm just wrong?

Martin

bubbaskyjacker 02-08-2011 09:39 PM

the mayhem chassis are on sale too "thumbsup" in the vendor section. only 35$ i think

the mayhem chassis was my #2 choice. then you can get matching wheels :mrgreen:

ernie28ernie 02-09-2011 12:05 AM

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/image...s/viewpost.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/image...s/viewpost.gif

Martin

ernie28ernie 02-10-2011 03:08 AM

Hi!

Sorry for my late reply, but I wasn't allowed to post anything... :(

Thank you all for your replys!

Quote:

I've seen your thread, but although I have Mayhem wheels and I am highly satisfied, the chassis is of no thought for me personally. The same vor the VP chassis.

Quote:

So I'm still a little biased, with being the Gatekeeper the favorite!

Martin

brazwewn 02-10-2011 03:40 AM

My favorite was not on the list. Not sure if they still make them but the UC FF4 chassis is awesome. I liked it so much it was carried over to my XR10 when I switched from the AX10 this winter.

Wes

Cave Dave 02-10-2011 07:46 AM

Gatekeeper designs GC3A for the win!

The amount of setup info available for this chassis is unmatched and it's a proven winner in local as well as national level comps."thumbsup"

version_three 02-10-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brazwewn (Post 2918298)
My favorite was not on the list. Not sure if they still make them but the UC FF4 chassis is awesome. I liked it so much it was carried over to my XR10 when I switched from the AX10 this winter.

Wes

Underground Crawlers made some of the best chassis on the market. Sadly, the only way you are going to get an F4, FF4, or Fastback chassis is if someone else wants to let theirs go. UGC is not selling them anymore.

Still, if you get a chance at one, go for it!

ernie28ernie 02-10-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by version_three (Post 2918719)
Underground Crawlers made some of the best chassis on the market. Sadly, the only way you are going to get an F4, FF4, or Fastback chassis is if someone else wants to let theirs go. UGC is not selling them anymore.

Thank you for your advice, but here in Germany, no chance to get an UGC chassis...

Yours,
Martin

Wicked Klown 02-10-2011 12:54 PM

You could buy a star and check out the classifieds,

brazwewn 02-10-2011 01:12 PM

Glad I got mine when I did.

Wes

Quote:

Originally Posted by version_three (Post 2918719)