Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: First day of real crawling tomorrow!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First day of real crawling tomorrow!

I feel like a kid on Christmas, not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. I started building my AX10 out of some odds and ends I bought off of a friend so he could buy one that was all hopped up (I got most of the stock stuff). I figured when I get it all built (spring-ish) I would find nice places to crawl here and there, there really isn't much around were I live. Low and behold just after I started building I got word of a Hobby shop/crawling facility opening up nearby, now I was ecstatic to hear this. Well I completely finished up my AX10 about a week or so ago and I receive an e-mail from one of the owners informing me tomorrow is the open house with free crawling for the day. Here is a few pics of the progress of the facility a few weeks ago (hope the owner doesn't mind using his pics) and a picture of my rig until the end of this week when I receive my GC3a.

I'll be going out with the friend who got me started with all this crawling stuff and his son, also another guy I recently met and purchased my esc and some other parts from. I beleive there may be some others on here heading out tomorrow, if so I can't wait to met you tomorrow.

Last edited by cagedcbr; 02-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Almost forgot, I will update with some pics of the festivities tomorrow afternoon.

P.S. not sure if this should stay here or not, I just realized maybe it should be general chat or something. I'm just so used to posting up in here I didn't even think about it.

Cheers, Mike.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

OK got some pics and had an amazing time, and am so hooked it's not even funny. I would have done the comp portion of the day but I still need a little more shock tuning and definatly need a dig. Enjoy.

My friends SCX

Couple of things I learned today are #1 I need a dig, #2 I need a more slippery skid, #3 BTA (broke 1 servo horn today), #4 I needs dig.

Last edited by cagedcbr; 02-13-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Man that looks like a KILLER crawling site! I can agree on a slippery skid [DELRIN!] and links. I'd hold off on a Dig and get some Underdrive or Overdrive gears and give it another shot. Last thing you want to do is become the driver who trips his dig every 2 inches of the course
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have thought about that, I still need some time with the truck to get the hang of good lines ect... but all in all I am very happy with the way I have the truck set-up, and I am proud to say it has alot to do with what I have been reading on here. Nothing like listening to the experience of others.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

All I can recommend is go with the "needed" upgrades first like a Delrin skid and Delrin links. Nothing slides like that stuff! I think someone is coming out with a skid that wraps underneath the chassis plates soon to let your car slide better over the rocks . After that, its just smaller stuff
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

yeah, delrin....slippery than snot...well not as wet.....

is the bug yours?? or the one with the Xr10 body?? either one is cool..but I really like that bug. dig is pretty sweet to have. but X2 on the over drive on the front...or under drive on the rear...don't do both.

and yeah...very cool place to run.....post a vid if you can/did

Last edited by squatch71; 02-13-2011 at 07:17 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

That thing still crawled pretty good today! it was challenging for alot of us today, not used to the course. But i agree you need a dig!
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
All I can recommend is go with the "needed" upgrades first like a Delrin skid and Delrin links. Nothing slides like that stuff! I think someone is coming out with a skid that wraps underneath the chassis plates soon to let your car slide better over the rocks . After that, its just smaller stuff
Just one look at my aluminum skid and the way the truck acts on the rocks you can easily see how the aluminum just digs into the rocks.

Quote:
is the bug yours?? or the one with the Xr10 body?? either one is cool..but I really like that bug. dig is pretty sweet to have. but X2 on the over drive on the front...or under drive on the rear...don't do both.
Both the same truck, I actually had the XR10 body given to me and figured I would take a crack at making it fit. I think I may get another one and trim it much neater around the shocks ect..

Quote:
That thing still crawled pretty good today! it was challenging for alot of us today, not used to the course. But i agree you need a dig!
Thanks man, I think I have a pic of your truck too. I was pretty happy with the truck today, I had mentioned my GC3a. Should be here by the end of this week and Glen has a R2D disconnect for me, should be able to get that working pretty good (I'm after those XR10's LOL)
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
cherry bomb

what steering servo are you running? I was running a HS-645MG in my AX10 and everytime I had it out, I was like you "I need a dig" I have since put in a decent 300+ oz-in servo and i've never said "I need a dig" since. being able to steer helps a TON. (my AX10 also has overdrive front, like others have recomended)

if you are going against XR10's and such a dig would be nice, but i'd start tuning the little things, and focus on driving well first.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

KO Propo 2144fet Digit metal gear for now, 180oz. 6v. I will be upgrading this but it's what I have for the moment, although it never even whimpered today unless I really got one of the wheels jammed good.

Not sure how much more tuning I will be doing with this chassis, it will end up being more of a everyday / practice truck. I feel it works about as good as I am able to get it minus some slightly stiffer springs. I have gotten rid of the majority of the torque twist and I am pretty damn happy at how it ascends/descends as well as it's sidehilling, extreme sidehilling is were I think a little stiffer spring will help (and probably oil change).

I have also removed the battery tray this evening (although it didn't hold the battery and was C/F) and will now be adding some stick on weight for the axles, I ran it today with jut the wheels weighted.

Last edited by cagedcbr; 02-13-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #12

That looks pretty cool where abouts is it located?
bbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

5200 Dixie Rd. Mississauga I believe unit #4. Today was an open house, from what I hear it will be open fully in approx. 2 week.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

that bug bodies bad A**. so we have another addic on the bored lol
its a great hobby you can dump tons on money into and actually never really sweat the cost because of all the fun your having
Howd you like the FXR in your crawler by the way?
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Canadians have all the cool indoor crawl spots
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'll be completely honest, I love the FXR. If you check out some of the first pics you'll see a peice of plywood that is almost vertical, it now has a rockpile on the bottom of it. I had great success coming down that with the drag brake holding me back just enough to creep down the pile. As for going upwards, I found my Chisels would start slipping and the truck would slid back but the brake was strong enough to hold the truck going upwards everytime. My only adjustment is going to be to limit reverse a touch, I found a few times I would get up on a rock and would have to reverse to get the tires touching again and a couple times it had a bit to much juice in reverse and would knock me right back down from where I was. I have reverse at 100% right now so I'll set it at a little less % and I think it will stay as is.

Oh yeah almost forgot, the thing is o freakin' tiny it'll go almost anywhere on the truck

Last edited by cagedcbr; 02-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

glad to hear your enjoying it and yes it is tiny so small Ive got mine mounted on the front right behind the top shock mount and recever on the other side. little high I know but honestly can that tiny thing effect that much on COG
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
5200 Dixie Rd. Mississauga I believe unit #4. Today was an open house, from what I hear it will be open fully in approx. 2 week.
No way.... My toronto warehouse is right down the street... next time I'm coming that way I'll have to bring my rig and come crawlin! Always up for doing a bit of travel crawlin!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #19

Cool Mississauga is only 40 mins away I will have to check it out when they fully open. Thanks
bbad is offline   Reply With Quote