Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: steering on ax10 rtc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default steering on ax10 rtc

I bought a ax10 rtc from a guy that has only ran it 2 times and for some reason it doesn't seem like the front wheels turn all the way like they should. I have checked everything on the truck and the radio and everything seems fine so my question is do they come stock with bad turning radius and is there a upgrade i can get to fix it. I would also like to change it over to a 4 link sus also just wondering what would be the best kit for it.
demonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #2

The stock turning radius does leave something to be desired. To improve I would upgrade in this order:

1. Aluminum link set
2. Axial Aluminum Knuckles
3. Axial Aluminum C Hub Carrier
4. Castle Creations BEC w/ programmer
5. Better steering servo, i.e. Hitec 7950 w/ programmer

The link set will remove the flex that the stock plastic steering components have. Knuckles and C hub carrier will allow a wider range of wheel turn. The stock steering servo is way under powered in my opinion, having around 90oz. of torque at 5V I believe, the Hitec 7950 has 486oz. of torque at 7.4V. The BEC will allow the servo power to come directly from the battery versus routing it through the ESC, and allows the input voltage of the servo to be user set. The programmer for the servo allows you to set your servo endpoints, etc. With this setup my wheels will turn until my tires are rubbing on the shocks, can't really get any better than that.

Last edited by Doc Badger; 07-14-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added photo
Doc Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonut View Post
I bought a ax10 rtc from a guy that has only ran it 2 times and for some reason it doesn't seem like the front wheels turn all the way like they should. I have checked everything on the truck and the radio and everything seems fine so my question is do they come stock with bad turning radius and is there a upgrade i can get to fix it. I would also like to change it over to a 4 link sus also just wondering what would be the best kit for it.
Depending on what radio you have, there might be a dial on it that adjusts the servo travel. Mine came with the AX-2 transmitter, and it's a little black knob to the right of wheel that adjusts the steering rate. But you're right in the fact that the stock steering sucks. I don't think you'll find many people on this sight that leave it stock.
static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Badger View Post
1. Aluminum link set
2. Axial Aluminum Knuckles
3. Axial Aluminum C Hub Carrier
4. Castle Creations BEC w/ programmer
5. Better steering servo, i.e. Hitec 7950 w/ programmer

With this setup my wheels will turn until my tires are rubbing on the shocks, can't really get any better than that.
The aluminum link set is a waste other than the tie rod. You can do much better with either delrin or titanium. There are vendors here who sell them, custom lengths if needed.

Aluminum knuckles and carriers are a must, but there are several choices. Some will give you more degrees of steering than others.

The BEC and Castle link is a good investment.

7950 is also a good choice, though a programmer is not always needed. Having a good radio with adjustable end points is all that is needed in most cases.

Tires rubbing on shocks is a subjective argument. My tires rub too, but my shocks are inboarded more than yours and I've also got more steering than you do, so yes, it does get better than that.

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys i will have to start getting my list together and order some goodies

any suggestions on the 4 link suspension or should i leave it as 3 link
demonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Suck it up!

4 link!

Get one of these for the rear while you can! Scroll to the bottom!

http://www.undergroundcrawlers.com/fastbackii.htm
Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Read what the expert says in this thread. His comments start at post #7.

How to improve turning angle on SCX?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #8

Is there a difference in the epa of the transmitter vs the mentioned servo programmer?
MarkXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #9
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkXV View Post
Is there a difference in the epa of the transmitter vs the mentioned servo programmer?
Well, most radios can only increase servo throw to 120-150% of the servo's actual travel (which I think it typically 60*). Depending on your linkage setup, that may not be enough. The servo stretcher is an easy way to get 180* of servo rotation. Otherwise, you need to buy a programmable servo & it's appropriate servo programmer to get 180*

And just to clarify, I m not really an expert
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

It depends on how serious you wanna get. My steering is one of the most important thing to me. Heres mine and It steers even sharper now that I have made a few adjustments.
Attached Images

PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCrazy View Post
It depends on how serious you wanna get. My steering is one of the most important thing to me. Heres mine and It steers even sharper now that I have made a few adjustments.
that is crazy tight steering you have. i would like more pics of your setup
BallzFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #12

Smile

alright is there anyway i can replace my servo saver with on of the steering horns they gave me with my rtc axial and Ive replaced my existing servo with the futuba s3305 thanks in advance for a reply
BadSanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSanta View Post
alright is there anyway i can replace my servo saver with on of the steering horns they gave me with my rtc axial and Ive replaced my existing servo with the futuba s3305 thanks in advance for a reply
Have you read the instructions that came with the crawler?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #14

Default yep

yea i have it just says what it comes with not how to change it out but i have figured a way to put the normal servo horn on and the turning is like 10 time better now i forsee a aluminum steering horn in my future thanks though btw you can see the steering horn i put on there in my other thread Axial RTC's Show Off Tme
BadSanta is offline   Reply With Quote