Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 ARTR what's going to break next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default AX10 ARTR what's going to break next?

So this is what I have:

ARTR
Tekin FX-R with 55T
Thunderpower 850 3S 45c or 65c
VP Dig
Axial BTA with modified bump stops (it doesn't wobble in reverse anymore and still turns good)
axial aliminum C hubs
Axial CVD's
beef tubes
4 linked front and rear, front plate is home built
stock shocks
Sedona's with proline 2 stage foams. 6 oz front, 2 oz rear.

I was breaking the C-hubs I think due to the steering going too far and binding. I've fixed that issue but now the drive shafts break super easy. I had a set of the axial drive shaft collars but that didn't help any.

So, I'm going to order this: http://miponline.com/store/mip09136.html
MIP shafts fr-r. rear shorter for dig.

What can I expect to break next? The trans out shafts should be better than stock from the VP kit. It's not that I drive it that hard. I don't comp with it, but it doesn't seem to take much to snap stuff anymore. The trans has seemed pretty sturdy, is there anything internal that's going to give me problems once I put in some better drive shafts?

Also, would it be worth getting the aluminum rear lockouts? The plastic ones have been good, just making a shopping list.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

the plastic shock caps pull off rather easily when flexed. I have the plastic lockouts. Have had my axial for 3 years and not a single problem with plastic lockouts. .

Last edited by ax10; 05-27-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You could also look to the Transmission internal gears giving up. From experience, replace the Idler gear and the output gear w/ Robinson Racing Products. Some others will tell you no that they have never striped the internals and have run for years on them. It sounds like a great combo and pretty damn bullet proof.
You may want to contact Gunnar and get some hex pins and some CVD pins. Inexpensive upgrade and is a awesome step to reduce breakage.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have stripped an idler. I replaced it and the output with steel. Make sure you have an front transmission steel output also. They come with alum. they break.

The alum rear lockouts are NOT worth the upgrade. I have never seen a need anyway.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Once I hooked up a DIG my rear lower link rod ends kept breaking (after the drive shaft breakage stopped). I was using Traxxas ends too, so I switched to 4mm rod ends, and no more breakage.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote