Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: B1G's Axial AX10 Scorpion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #1

Default B1G's Axial AX10 Scorpion

Hi all,

New to the site and wanted to share my latest purchase with you all.

What I believe I have here is a competition level Axial AX10 Scorpion Pro-Kit (part # AX90001) which includes:
  • Green Aluminum Links
  • Aluminum Front and Rear Lockers
  • All Steel hardware
  • 2.2 Rock Lizards
  • 2.2 Rockster Bead Locks
I say "believe" because I bought it used and whilst that's what it looks like I may have been mislead

I then bolted on the following parts / upgrades:
  • Xtreme Racing SSG Carbon Fiber chassis
  • HotRacing Alloy Body Posts
  • Axial Carbon Fiber Upper Chassis Plate
  • STRC Alloy Upper Chassis Mount Supports
  • STRC Inboard Mount Skid Plate
  • STRC Servo Mount
  • Integy Steering Link
  • Venom 3000 NiMH stick pack
  • Novak GOAT Crawler
  • HiTec HS-645MG Servo
  • FlySky 2.4GHz micro RX
Now for some pictures:

Upgrades and Spare parts picture:

Bit of a random assortment of spares, some I have been able to use, some are just stock and have been added to the stock parts pile, the others still have me confused about how to install them, for example the alloy 3-links, looks like I have to take the axles apart which I don't really want to do

In my opinion the ESC / Motor combination is what makes this so special, the precision of the Novak GOAT Crawler kit is just unbelievable, I've only driven the AX10 around the house so far but plan on taking it outside in the snow / ice a little later today.

As far as the body goes, I threw on this smaller scale Hummer body:

Which will do for the moment, I will be spraying it black and I think once done it will look pretty decent.
TheB1GDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Nice rig other then the huge battery mounted on top. You really need a smaller pack that you can fit on top of your front axle. Might as well upgrade to lipo while your at it.
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yea get that huge battery off the top of the truck, then toss a litttle lipo on the frotn axle and itll be a WORLD of difference.
Rootar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLJ View Post
Nice rig other then the huge battery mounted on top. You really need a smaller pack that you can fit on top of your front axle. Might as well upgrade to lipo while your at it.
You read my mind

I have the CF plate for the front axle that moves the servo over and allows you to mount a lipo pack when money allows I'll get the few extra pieces I need for the servo move and go lipo, the stick is all I've got at the moment

I want to install the rear steer pieces also....
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, I like that chassis but I'm kind of a sucker for C/F. I would suggest also inboarding the lower links and of course the already mentioned Lipo. I just (2 days ago) switched from NiMh to Lipo and cannot believe the difference, It's an amazing upgrade when you can go for it.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
inboarding the lower links
Care to elaborate?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

get some tire, id suggest rovers. you'll see a huge gain in preformance from the rock lizzards, they suck!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
get some tire, id suggest rovers. you'll see a huge gain in preformance from the rock lizzards, they suck!
I want to get some new tires as my two rears appear to be messed up, they previous owner didn't install them correctly so they don't seal air tight light the front ones do, you can compress them and they take about 10 seconds to get back to regular shape.

I keeping loosing the bedlocks, repositioning the tires and tightening the beadlocks, works for a few minutes but then they start letting area in.

I can use the same wheels right? Just get some 2.2 tires??
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You could always cut or drill a small hole on opposing side of the tires, right in the center of the tire. Always it to breath alot better. Also by inboarding the lower links I meant moving them to the inside of the chassis instead of having them outside were they can grab things your crawling over.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #10

Yup, move the lower links inboard, your STRC skid plate has a holding fixture for them. Compare the two skid plates and you'll get it

Remove the body posts on the side, mount the body on top.

Get some new tires, HB Sedona, Panther Leopard, Panther Cougar, Losi Boss Claws... You'll believe you have another car

Get some MIP center drives, the stock ones will capitulate to the goat sooner or later

Then you can get some Felsenfest spools, cvd's and knuckles - you'll get a superb steering angle!

So long,
Martin
ernie28ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #11

OK so for this inboarding to work it looks like I have to move the links to the other side of the shocks, than attach them to the cut outs in the chassis plate, seems simple enough - I just need to check that I have some slightly longer screws as ill need to use a nut to secure the links in place.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

INTEGY parts DETECTED
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post
INTEGY parts DETECTED
Yeah dude, lose the Integy Steering Linkage...I had that on mine for a very, very short time and only because I needed sometghing quick...the links fell apart on me in no time...INTEGY BLOWS!
Shinobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobid View Post
Yeah dude, lose the Integy Steering Linkage...I had that on mine for a very, very short time and only because I needed sometghing quick...the links fell apart on me in no time...INTEGY BLOWS!
lol really? I think I have the stock link (plastic and aluminum versions)... would that be better?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
lol really? I think I have the stock link (plastic and aluminum versions)... would that be better?
yes! integy is a terrible brand! ive also broken thier alum. parts faster than stock plastic! made from very very low grade alum. they also have poor desins, and there are much much better products out there!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #16

Few minor improvements:

1. Discovered that what I thought was a spare stock link is actually the high clearance steering link and given as how a lot people expressed concern over the quality of the Integy link I was running I decided to switch to it:

2. Took the posted advice and the tires have had airholes drilled into them, two holes on opposite sides of the rim:

You can see the tires under load in the above photo.

3. Adjusted the ride height, the Xtreme Racing SSG Carbon Fiber chassis is insanely adjustable so I dropped down a level.

Have been trying to figure out how to inboard my lower links and finally realized that I just don't have enough screws to do it, need 12 I believe but only have 6, so need to order some extra hardware.

Oh also bound it to my GT3B TX which is working out really nicely.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

The truck seems like it coming along good. Like others have posted, lipos are the way to go. If and when you get the spare money, switch to lipos, you wont regret it. The only thing that I can say is a must is new tires. The stock rock lizzards are absolute junk. It doesn't matter what you do to them, you can drill holes, add weight, put different foams in, nothing changes the fact that they are garbage. You cant go wrong with HB rovers, white dot(soft), or HB sedonas(never used them, heard lots of good things).
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #18

Guys,

Can you help me identify a part?

I know that it's a wider servo mount but I've seen it used in a few different ways, i.e. servo center mounted with cells on either side or servo mounted on the left with lipos on the right, but I'm not sure who makes it or what other parts are required by it.

Any information is much appreciated.

[EDIT] Part identified as the 3Racing AXIAL AX10 Scorpion Chassis Graphite Battery & Servo Plate. 3Racing part # AX10-18/WO,

What I don't appear to have is the little piece that lets you build the shorter link to account for the re-positioned servo, anyone got any suggestions on that?

Last edited by TheB1GDude; 02-23-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #19

Made a few more changes to my setup:

1. Added wire weight to my front wheels:

Wire length in both rims is identical, both cuts came from same spool of wire, pre-cut sticky pads used to secure, so hopefully the weight of the rims with the wire is almost identical.

2. Installed the 3Racing carbon fiber servo plate:

This moves the servo over to the side giving me room to mount a lipo pack, don't have the pack yet but hopefully will soon then I can shift even more weight to the front of the rig.

Biggest issue with this piece was that I didn't have all of the parts it originally came with, so I had to ghetto-rig it by flipping the servo and using the stock link connected to an offset servo horn, seems to work just fine though

3. Inboarded all of my lower links, this involves moving the mount point for the shocks and links and is made possible by my lower chassis plate, it gives me some extra room when turning the wheels and obviously moves the links so they don't catch as easily.

Apologies for the crappy photos but only had access to the camera on my phone and it isn't the best.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #20

It snowed Sunday and yesterday I figured as I was already outside shoveling I may as well make myself a little course, so I put together about a 4ft long 1ft wide track of packed snow, I added a few dips and humps and ran the AX10 over it, I also blasted it across the fresh powdered flat top which was fun as it was kicking up rooster tails as it went.

Here are a few photos:

Overall I am a little disappointed with how the AX10 handled my course, maybe the snow consisted of to much powder or maybe I made it to aggressive or maybe I just can't crawl for jack... actually I am inclined to blame it on what you guys told me would fail first and that's the tires, they don't hook up well on snow and no matter how I mod them they just don't seem to be very good.... guess I need replacements

Anyways it was a blast and I am going to get the AX10 recharged and back out on the mountain a little later today, hopefully now my snow pile has had time to sit it will be a little more compacted and easier to navigate.