RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Helhedded's Comp Shafty (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/353094-helheddeds-comp-shafty.html)

helhedded 12-10-2011 03:43 PM

Helhedded's Comp Shafty

I've had some free time lately so I threw together a shafty roller with parts from my YJ. I used the chassis from an old DMG DcR.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/c9992f0e.jpg

After staring at it for a day or two I knew what I wanted to change about it and I immediately started drawing different designs. It was inspired by an old DMG chassis that I had laying around with a little bit of Badd's doubleD chassis and some CDW LS2.0 :)

I made a template out of .020 lexan and shipped to my buddy for cutting. 1/16" carbon fiber rom Mcmaster was used for the sideplates. The plates will be recut soon with a few changes... mainly more material will be left on the chassis especially at the bottom corners.

helhedded 12-10-2011 05:38 PM

sideplates swapped and the transmission is now mirrored correctly thanks to a quick refresher at Eeepee University. :mrgreen:

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...N0750Small.jpg

helhedded 12-10-2011 05:43 PM

With this current configuration and a 5.5" tall tire the gc measurements would approximately be:

front:
droop 2.2"
static 3.1"

rear:
dr0op 2.6"
static 3.5"

Any ideas at what I should shoot for? I can always add a limiter on the inside of the shock to shorten up the ride height. A friend mentioned that 2.5" is good for a shafty, so I might aim for that first.

Duuuuuuuude 12-10-2011 06:14 PM

I'm still wondering if all you hoity toity MOA drivers still know how to properly handle a shafty...

:ror:

Build looks good though. What kind of insane-o steering setup are you going to run?

helhedded 12-10-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 3431269)
I'm still wondering if all you hoity toity MOA drivers still know how to properly handle a shafty...

:ror:

Build looks good though. What kind of insane-o steering setup are you going to run?

I drove my 1.9 pretty well and I had a blast at it so hopefully this will be the same but just bigger :twisted:

I haven't figured out what steering I'll run just yet, but the goal will be a full bta setup. The axles with have short beef tubes so hopefully that won't be too hard to accomplish.

Manning 12-10-2011 06:54 PM

Another pro driver with a shafty, kewl. "thumbsup"

ROLANDROCKSHOP 12-10-2011 06:55 PM

looks good! "thumbsup"

go car ram rod!:flipoff:

EvilTwin v2 12-10-2011 09:26 PM

Looks good.

The shafties are just so much fun. Especially when you can make 'em handle. One of these days, more MOA guys are going to realize that running practice courses with a no dig shafty can help them to see better lines and drive better when they switch back to their MOA.

DRCrawlGood 12-10-2011 09:28 PM

Digging the chassis!

Duuuuuuuude 12-10-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 (Post 3431669)
One of these days, more MOA guys are going to realize that running practice courses with a no dig shafty can help them to see better lines and drive better when they switch back to their MOA.

"thumbsup"

I've noticed this quite a bit...lots of moa's digging to get cleanly through gates because they didn't try for a good line. I was guilty of that too when I had dig...you don't realize how much you rely on it until its not there any more.

helhedded 12-10-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning (Post 3431364)
Another pro driver with a shafty, kewl. "thumbsup"

yes sir. Thank you for the pointers on the geometry "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 3431369)
looks good! "thumbsup"

go car ram rod!:flipoff:

:lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 (Post 3431669)
Looks good.

The shanties are just so much fun. Especially when you can make 'em handle. One of these days, more MOA guys are going to realize that running practice courses with a no dig shafty can help them to see better lines and drive better when they switch back to their MOA.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood (Post 3431677)
Digging the chassis!

Thanks! It's not quite done yet. I'm gonna add 1 or 2 more columns of shock mounts to the design and I'll probably remove one from the outside edges and shorten up the chassis a bit. The inner angles will be rounded to add strength where it's needed. There will also be quite a few braces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 3431681)
"thumbsup"

I've noticed this quite a bit...lots of moa's digging to get cleanly through gates because they didn't try for a good line. I was guilty of that too when I had dig...you don't realize how much you rely on it until its not there any more.

That's what I really enjoyed about driving in the 1.9 class. I just can't support both and the 2.2 class is more appealing :mrgreen:

Stormin2u 12-12-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helhedded (Post 3431731)
That's what I really enjoyed about driving in the 1.9 class. I just can't support both and the 2.2 class is more appealing :mrgreen:

That's where I'm at as well Ashton, the 2.2 Sporty class has tremendous possibilities for some crazy growth. I'm wondering what the hell took so long?

Both you and Shane are coming out of the box with your Sporty designs, it's great to see your builds.

I have a feeling 2012 is going to be a growth year thanks to the 2.2 Sportsman class, I know our club could use some new blood.

Nice work. "thumbsup"

helhedded 12-13-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin2u (Post 3437906)
That's where I'm at as well Ashton, the 2.2 Sporty class has tremendous possibilities for some crazy growth. I'm wondering what the hell took so long?

Both you and Shane are coming out of the box with your Sporty designs, it's great to see your builds.

I have a feeling 2012 is going to be a growth year thanks to the 2.2 Sportsman class, I know our club could use some new blood.

Nice work. "thumbsup"

Thanks Norm! Our club could really use some new blood also!

helhedded 12-13-2011 07:37 AM

So my first design isn't strong enough so I added more rounded edges and the open side is now closed. I'm not planning on mounting my uppers that high, but I am planning on putting some braces there. The other plate will just be a straight connection from front to back.

ROLANDROCKSHOP 12-13-2011 08:15 AM

2nd version already...:shock:

helhedded 12-13-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP (Post 3440861)
2nd version already...:shock:

Yep, V1 will likely never see the rocks. :ror:

Duuuuuuuude 12-13-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helhedded (Post 3440934)
Yep, V1 will likely never see the rocks. :ror:

Try making prototypes out of the thin cutting board stuff. Cheap, quick to cut, and just strong enough to get a few runs in. Nearly everything I've designed has had at least two flimsy plastic prototype versions.

helhedded 12-13-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude (Post 3441699)
Try making prototypes out of the thin cutting board stuff. Cheap, quick to cut, and just strong enough to get a few runs in. Nearly everything I've designed has had at least two flimsy plastic prototype versions.

That's really what I should have done to begin with. I had never designed a chassis before so all of this was pulled out my ass. After having the real deal in my hands I saw some things that immediately needed changing and I'm not sure if I would have noticed them if I would have used thin scrap material. This has been a great learning experience. "thumbsup"

p.s. and yes, the new templates were cut out of lexan and test fit before I sent them to the machinist. :ror:

4xFord 12-13-2011 02:40 PM

Very cool I'm digging the V2. "thumbsup"

jeepcj578 12-13-2011 02:50 PM

Looks alot better "thumbsup"