Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ive searched and searched and read now the question what grease to use in a ax10 tran

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ive searched and searched and read now the question what grease to use in a ax10 tran

Ive searched the forum through google on axials site ect and no luck. So my question is what kind of grease to use in my ax10 trans is a petrolium based grease bad for it? Should i use full synthetic grease in if so whats a good cheap one? What kind of grease do you guys all use?
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ive searched and searched and read now the question what grease to use in a ax10

ive heard petroleum based grease will soften the plastic. That being said: I use valvoline 50/50 grease. Half synthetic and half petroleum based. Used the same stuff for 4 years with zero problems. There are better rc specific greases though. Stuff that is really tacky and wont sling off
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ive searched and searched and read now the question what grease to use in a ax10

Not surprised search wasn't productive here. Much forum opinion is unfounded, and getting reliable info is pretty hard. It would be nice if someone would just post a link to a labled "plastic safe" grease. I don't have one.

AFAIK most greases are petroleum based, regardless of name. Synthetic is just a different manufacturing technique for the same general chemistry. Sodium, lithium, ceramic, ptfe etc are not greases, but thickener additives in petroleum bases. IE, they turn oil into a thicker grease.

Silicone greases are totally different chemistry, plastic safe, but not very good lubricants compared to petroleum products.

Perhaps you can order OE grease packets from Losi, Axial, AE etc that are shipped with their kits. I figure their engineers know more about this stuff than we do. I've heard people use Associated Stealth Grease from hobby shops, but know little else about it.

EDIT: Maybe this stuff? It specifically says plastic gears.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ilicone-Grease

Last edited by Hardline; 09-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I had the same question, best is to contact manufacturers about plastic safe or run an alloy case. Upon contacting Lucas about their red 'n tacky being plastic safe, they ok'd it so I've been running it since.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
I had the same question, best is to contact manufacturers about plastic safe or run an alloy case. Upon contacting Lucas about their red 'n tacky being plastic safe, they ok'd it so I've been running it since.
Guy at Mobil 1 said about the same thing. Wouldn't say a definite "yes it is plastic safe", but didn't say to not use it either. From what I gathered from that conversation, I used it in my SCX-10 transmission and axles. Rebuilt transmission recently (after over a year of use) and didn't find any plastic deterioration on the inside of the case (all metal gears). I looked specifically to see if the grease ate at the plastic. Looked fine. May be a different story on plastic gears, but I'd recommend all metal gears in transmission.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Synthetic greases dont use petrolium bases in them hence the name synthetic in it. Its all man made chemicles and are usally better that petrolium based greases. So a good synthetic is probally safest bet
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I like red 'n tacky a lot. But it's definitely a petroleum grease. I use it for all my metal gears. It hangs in there. And I can buy it down the street.

So not plastic safe, but hey...nothing lasts forever. Some people might get a year or more out of their tranny gears and be happy. And plastic gears are plenty cheap as long as you can get them.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
Synthetic greases dont use petrolium bases in them hence the name synthetic in it. Its all man made chemicles and are usally better that petrolium based greases. So a good synthetic is probally safest bet
Nonsense. Nearly all synthetics are chemically manipulated from petroleum bases. Normal crude oil is torn down and reassembled. They are chemically tweaked to perform better but not for our purposes. If you read Wiki: Synthetic Oil, note in the Disadvantages it even talks about it stress-cracking plastic components. No reason to think synthetic is your friend here.

There are some rare exceptions such as certain racing oils, but I'm sure you can't even put your hands on a jug of synthetic motor oil at the local autoparts that didn't start from raw crude.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Are you worried about plastic gears or the plastic housing? If it's plastic gears you are worried about, I can put your fears to rest by saying, they will blow out long before the grease destroys them.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
no talent hack

Through my experience, if I am running plastic gears I will only use a couple of drops of 50wt silicon shock oil. The shock oil will do enough to lubricate and keep things quiet.

I have found that any grease used tends to make it easier to strip the gears. I am not sure if it is due to the grease eating the plastic, reduced coefficient of friction making it easier for the gears to slip, or a combination of the two.

Since starting to use the shock oil, I have over a year on the plastic gears in the trans that currently resides in my 2.2s with no intentions on putting metal gears in it

With metal gears its either gear science or vp star lube

Last edited by Nabil; 09-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil View Post
I have over a year on the plastic gears in the trans that currently resides in my 2.2s with no intentions on putting metal gears in it
What are you using for output shafts? Do you upgrade those or are they stock as well?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
no talent hack

Just the $10 axial steel ones. With this setup I have heard the od or ud ring and pinions skip under load
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

The next time I have a stock transmission, I'm going to try your shock oil trick...if it's good enough for the Champ, then it's worth a try!

And Congrats on your 2.2S win
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have one plastic gear in this trans and its just the idler gear im just worried when it goes im screwed cause i cant afford to replace it right away when it does. So pretty much any grease well be alright then. Case im not worried about as i got another one.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
I have one plastic gear in this trans and its just the idler gear im just worried when it goes im screwed cause i cant afford to replace it right away when it does. So pretty much any grease well be alright then. Case im not worried about as i got another one.
Grease aside. If you are going to run that plastic gear, get another one from someone, because nothing sucks like being on the rocks and hearing that noise (some of you know what I'm talking about) and having to pack your stuff and watch everyone else crawl. RRP idler gear is around $12, much better than watching.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Lubricity & viscocity are the specs the makers need to nail. The actual formula they use can vary form batch to batch or mfg to mfg. This is common in the lubricant industry.
I had a customers air system self destruct because the oil manufacturer changed formulation & the new formula was a no go for his air piping. After the dust settled the mfg was found not @ fault because their product made all listed specs & they do not have to inform of formula changes.
I am still waiting to decide what lube I am going with. That rock grease looks pretty good.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Well i dont have 12 bucks to spare right now
Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I did get some full synthetic sticky grease today thats about penut butter thickness maybe a bit less but not sure what kind it is.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I'm running Lucas Red and Tacky in all my RC's in everything from bearings, to axles and trans, even servos. These are toy cars, not F1 cars. I think many of your are overthinking it. Unless your running really high speeds, or worm gears, or desire a very stiction free drivetrain, then the Lucas is more than sufficient.

The stock trans gears lasted a year before I stripped the idler. I don't believe that the failure was lubrication related. It was throttle finger related.

I drilled a small hole and put a 3mm grub screw in the top of the trans case between the upper and idler gear so I can push a needle fitting of a grease gun up against it and give it a pump every once in a while.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Well i went with what was free and the stuff i got is nice full synthetic that my buddy runs in everything from rcs to bike bearings. But it do me any good if my idler gear shaft dosen t arrive soon

ive searched and searched and read now the question what grease to use in a ax10 tran - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another what tire question..(yes iv searched and read) ultimate_monkey Tires and Wheels 11 04-05-2009 01:12 AM
ive searched and searched gearmonkey23 Newbie General 2 02-11-2008 11:56 AM
maxx sliders? ive searched mikeytlt Newbie General 1 03-13-2007 06:34 PM
Sw2 links question(ive searched) Mello_Yello General Crawlers 6 12-14-2006 08:05 PM
Searched and searched...TXT axle/tranny ratios. JasonInAugusta Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 2 01-30-2005 10:06 AM