Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: C*H*U*D's Sporty Capable Scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
No idea what I'm doing

Default C*H*U*D's Sporty Capable Scaler

I was introduced to this hobby when a friend of mine started sending me pictures of these so-called "RC Crawlers". I didn't know it at the time, but they were 2.2, Pro Class Comp Crawlers...Shaft drive, no DIG, tube chassis Frankensteins and I was in love.

I had to check this out, but as I was getting involved, things quickly changed. Shaft drive was out, and MOA dominated. Mechanical dig gave way to electronic dig, and seriously who built tube chassis' anymore?!?

I conformed, but always thought about the truck I was never able to build. Results were (and still are) king. Building a truck for the pure enjoyment of it seemed lost. With all the arguing going on between Comp and Scale, I realized my chance was given new life. I can't bring Comp to the Scale crowd, but realized I can bring scale back to the Comp crowd thanks to the Sporty class.

This build is not a true scaler. It's also not a true Comp build. No Titanium, Carbon Fiber or any exotic material. Also no fear of anyone copying me since this is simply a Sporty "Capable" Scaler.

First off I needed some self imposed rules.

1. It had to have real tube work. No Delrin, Carbon Fiber or Titanium.

2. It had to have a driver. Trucks without drivers have always freaked me out

3. It had to have Scale Tires. Nothing screams Comp Truck louder than Rovers, Sedonas, or the latest trimmed pin pattern.

4. It has to have lights! Lots of them

5. It has to have some scale points...Powertank, jack, license plate...something that separates it from the RC robots.

6. It has to make me smile when I drive it

7. 7.25lb Minimum weight. This is based on a 1:7 scale, 2,500lb weight.

Seems simple enough, so let's get started. I am basing this build loosely off of the Peanut the Destroyer Build. I will be starting with a TVP and building a Tube Top for it....eventually it will be all tube. I've had this new F-4 sitting around so decided to put it to use:

I've had these HPI Mini Trophy Truck drivers for awhile now, and this seems like a great time to use them.

I was going to use these 2.2 Pitbulls for another project, but I can't think of a better tire for this.

This will be a slow build, but most of it is already done so updates should come quick. I do plan on making some new Sporty Capable Scaler Wheels but it may take some time.

I honestly don't expect to do well with this truck. I also honestly don't care. This truck should be Sporty "Capable"...not Sporty "Competitive". If I win, I go home and drink beer...If I lose, I go home and drink beer

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 05-08-2014 at 10:25 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: C*H*U*D's Sporty Capable Scaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I honestly don't expect to do well with this truck. I also honestly don't care. This truck should be Sporty "Capable"...not Sporty "Competitive". If I win, I go home and drink beer...If I lose, I go home and drink beer

As it's going to be scalish .... you should do something like a beertruck ... that way you don't have to wait to get home Bet the smile would be permanent whilst running it ....
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

That is a sweet work stand! Did you make that or repurposed from something else?
eganracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

love it
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I love these types of builds.

I look forward to seeing where you take this build.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Great start to what sounds to be an interesting build. It's amazing to see the various 'trends' come and go, all the while builds are getting better and better.

You have to love a bit of old skool and I agree, that stand is ace
banners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Cool idea on a build.

I am building up a Mini Clod over in the clod section that is kinda a scale/comp rig. Throwback to 2009. But more towards the comp side but could be converted to what you are going with here. I'll be watching this one.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I like it! Our club held a fun comp last season where we had to run scaler tires and it cost a 6 pack to enter. Winner took all! It was quite fun!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I like it! Our club held a fun comp last season where we had to run scaler tires and it cost a 6 pack to enter. Winner took all! It was quite fun!
I remember seeing your post about that!

I ran scaler tires one night and actually they didn't do too bad. They aren't comp tires, but they did ok enough to have a good time.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

I wanted to have a set of wheels for this thing that would look scale. I've always liked the old school, 5-slot mags...this is what I was going for:

I plan to make a set of these out of aluminum, but had some black Delrin laying around and figured I'd use it up. But first I needed some hubs and those I wanted to be aluminum. The studs are M3 set screws:

The two screws are just to hold it together for the pictures.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to powder coat the rings or not, but for now they are just bare:

Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

I started laying out the wheelbase on my new table. It was a large blank plate that some of the Manufacturing guys started using on our press at work. It was way too nice to let them ruin it, so I snagged it, drilled and tapped it and brought it home It's 1/4-20 holes on 1" centers.

I also started on the top. For now it will be a Fastback clone, but I'm not sure what it will be once I make it full tube.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

I decided to powder coat the rings after all. They blend in with the black Delrin better now.

I was also able to pick up some small, blue, surface mount LED's today. I picked up some red ones as well. Since this is going to be black and white, I decided to give it a police look. This is just one of them mounted to test the flashing.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Sweet! Those disk/hex things are cool too.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Sweet! Those disk/hex things are cool too.

They didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, but for a 1st try I'm happy. I'll make a few changes for the next time.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Bad ass so far! Nice bread board setup for testing experimental circuits as well.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
~THE SCALE SHOP~

awesome. funny ive been contemplating a "scalester" lately as well.

love the custom bits. which is pretty much everything so far
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Bad ass so far! Nice bread board setup for testing experimental circuits as well.
I'll have to mill my own PCB board for the light bar, but it's a pretty simple circuit so I think even I can pull it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
awesome. funny ive been contemplating a "scalester" lately as well.

love the custom bits. which is pretty much everything so far
Do it! 2014 is the new 2004!

I'm having to make everything myself because I have no cash for this build I do have material laying around though
Old 11-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
No idea what I'm doing

I made up a quick set of links to replace the old set that was on there. The old set was 8-32 stainless allthread with 1/4" Stainless tubing over it. The new set is 3/16" solid that was threaded to 8-32 on the ends.

I put together a quick model of the Police Lightbar that I plan to use. Originally it was going to be all blue, but now one side is blue and the other is red.

Before I wasted time machining it, I wanted to make sure I could run the LED's off of 4s. I also needed a board that I could solder the surface mount LED's to. I mocked up a quick board for testing and got the red side working. The blue side is no different, other than the flashing sequence. It looks yellow in the video, but they really are pretty bright red lights. Should look pretty good when it's running with the blue.

I need to make a few changes but I think it will work without any problems.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 11-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
No idea what I'm doing

6 blue LED's won't work with 4s...they each have a forward drop of 3.2V not the 2.0 of the red's. So I'll redo this with 4 each so it's symmetrical.

It does work though, so it should be pretty easy to get it into the cab.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

Ok...I'll be the first to admit that this looks horrible

Turning a chassis that was meant to have a body into a tube chassis is harder than I thought...2004 would have kicked my ass.

Since I want a full tube chassis anyway, I'm not too upset. I'll drive this as it is and start work on what I really want. I have 18' of 4130 showing up this week, and I've already machined these:

They are taken from the original F-4 lower side plates, but will be used as a full tube. Still not sure what the top will look like, but this should be a much larger truck than what was originally intended:

02-06-14

I've been working on scale and have decided on 1:7. I found a Solidworks model of a human, scaled him to size and inserted him into the assembly.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 02-06-2014 at 12:47 PM.

C*H*U*D's Sporty Capable Scaler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C*H*U*D's Sporty C*H*U*D Axial AX-10 Scorpion 145 07-26-2016 10:23 PM
Capable Scaler? angelicgundam90 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 09-21-2012 07:45 PM