Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Gramps Scorpion build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Gramps Scorpion build

Picked up a Ax10 Scorpion off Craigslist. Need a little TLC but got it for a good price. doesn't like to run on lipos at all and will only run a couple of minutes on the NiMH before it just shuts down. I'm thinking the esc so I bought an AE-5 to put in it. That will also give me the brake.

When I first got it home

Let the mods begin

Last edited by Gramps; 03-20-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gramps Scorpion build

The springs are way to stiff so I ordered some AX30223 springs
The servo horn splines are stripped, going to lhs to check my options
Ditch the 24 MHz radio if the esc fixes my problem otherwise I may part it out and buy a ax10 deadbolt
Old 03-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The new Ae-5 ESC is due to arrive tomorrow 3/19 hopefully that fixes the issue of it just stopping like the battery is dead, let sit unplugged and after a few minutes it will go again. If your actually running it at half throttle or better it seems to last longer. Never touched it but my theroy is the ESC is geting hot and shutting down.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The AE-5 ESC arrived today, did a quick mockup for a test. It ran for a short time then just stopped dead. Thought maybe it was the battyery but it still had 7.6v with 3.82v in each cell so that should be good. My next thought is the tx or rx so a Flysky GT3c is on the way. Be here Monday, was going to replace the old 27 MHz system anyway.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

While waiting for the Flysky GT3C to arrive I decided to move the electronics to the upper suspension arms. I made a template and the cut a piece of aluminum

Used ties wraps to hold it on the upper suspension arms

Mocked you what it was all going to look like using the old Axail RX

Still haven't decided on the battery location yet. Thinking maybe using the optional front battery/servo tray. I think my 1500 mAh Floureon battery will mount there. Might also look at mounting it on the side of the frame. The disadvantage of the side mount is that it's sprung weight whereas the batter/servo plate mount would be unsprung weight. For now I guess I will just mount it on to. The 1500's are pretty light.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Very nice work so far. Have you checked the motor temperature is it getting over 160 that could be your problem.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Very nice work so far. Have you checked the motor temperature is it getting over 160 that could be your problem.
Yes when it quits both the esc & motor are cool.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

The FlySky GT3C arrived today

so I quickly installed it to do a checkout run. That went well I drove it longer in the front yard than I had ever before. No issues or problems so it was off to the shop to install them properly. Put the ESC out front where it could get a little more air and it also protects the RX from splashes.

Ran the antenna through the included straw along the side of the battery tray.

I then took it trailing for a really good workout. Used my 1500 mAh Floureon lipo 50 minutes into the run it gave out so I went to the backup. Didn't think this was to bad, the 1st battery was the same one I was using out front doing the checkout run. This was the 1st time I've used the 1500 mAh since I bought them a couple of weeks ago.

This is the Scorpions 1st rock. Conquered it without a problem.

I did notice one thing during this trip. It rides pretty rough and needs some softer springs. Should have some soft springs by the end of the week.

Got some soft springs on order
AX30486 battery/servo tray on order
Old 03-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The AX30214 Soft (white) springs arrived this morning.

Installed them so I could take it out of a test run. While I was at it I also installed the aluminum servo horn I got off ebay

Took it out for a test run and the springs work fine but I need a little preload in the left rear, it squats pretty bad to the left rear when I give it gas. The shocks that came on the RTR version of the Scorpion do not have the load adusters on the shocks like my SCX10 Dealtbolt so I'm going to have to shim the left rear to preload it.

Next on the Todo list is rebuild the shocks using 50w shock oil
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The servo/battery plate came in the mail this morning.

It installs pretty easy and come with clear directions. The kit includes most of what it needed but there are still a few extra parts that are needed mainly a spacer and a M3x25mm screw .M3 nylock nut, M3x16mm set screw and 2 rod ends with balls. Had some on hand so it wasn't an issue. Remove the servo and mounting plate retaining the screws for reuse. Remove the servo mounting tabs from the servo plate and transfer them to the new plate. The plate is the width of the axle so it also come with 2 support post. You use the 3 mounting screws from the original servo plate plus the 2 post to mount the tray. Reattach the servo make the steering rod and attach it and your done. My Floureon 1500 mAh fit perfect next to the servo and will give me about an hour of trail crawling.

Next on the todo list is to rebuild the shocks using 45w oil hopefully this this will help with the torque twist I am getting. The new battery location helped but did not eliminate it.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You could mirror the transmission to help with torque twist.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Or your could put one stronger spring on the corner that is most affected by the torque twist
Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

nice little build.. i have the same issue after putting some portal axles in it. rear squat like crazy. Going to flip tranny whenever my front axle parts come in.
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Or your could put one stronger spring on the corner that is most affected by the torque twist
I have considered putting a yellow spring in the left rear. I have a spacer in it now to preload the spring and it's helping.

Mirroring the transmission is a thought too.

Rebuilt all the shocks putting 45w in all of them except the left rear where I used 50w that and the 1/2" space that I put in the left rear to preload it some has helped. I will still squat but not as bad as it was doing.

The mailman brought me a nice present today, the FI Spool from Locked Up RC. My Scorpion was a RTR so it had a spider gear front diff, This was not good for trailing and rock crawling. The spool just made more sense to me that the stock Axial locker.

This is the diff when I opened it up can't see much with all the grease that was packed in there. Glad to see it wasn't dry. After removing the housing that hold the spider gears it was time to start installing the spool. After bolting the spool to the ring gear using the enclosed hardware it was time to install the axles.

As was started on Locked Up RC's web site the axles might be a tight fit and should be test fitted before assembly. They were right the axles were tight and It took a couple of taps with a mallet to get them seated.

Filled the diff full of Amsoil Synthetic Marine Grease, pumped the pinion gear half of the diff full then did the same for the ring gear half. After getting it all back together the only slop I have is in the dog bones. Going to Elephant Rock tomorrow to test it out.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-09-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Minutes apart posts
Old 03-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

. amsoil amazing stuff. You will like that spool the f1 is nice. Front metal steering link will help you when climbing. It's a cheep upgrade too.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
. amsoil amazing stuff. You will like that spool the f1 is nice. Front metal steering link will help you when climbing. It's a cheep upgrade too.
Took it to Elephant Rocks State Park and it did great. Your right Snapon Boy I really like the FI spool. Metal steering link is on the todo list. I normally make mine with brake line and all thread.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Have you looked at beef patties and beef tubes to get you some weight down low? That will make a big improvement in climbing.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

After taking it out yesterday I am thinking of add some weight under the battery/servo tray. I have some stick on wheel weights.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Look in the wanted section and post up for links. That will help with twisting too.
That was my first rig too and I still have it, in one shape or way.

How are those tires working for you too?
I think I still have mine.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
Look in the wanted section and post up for links. That will help with twisting too.
That was my first rig too and I still have it, in one shape or way.

How are those tires working for you too?
I think I still have mine.
Down the road I will probably put a 4 link on the back. I normally make my own links out of all thread and brake line but I like the idea of the ones with the 30* bend for clearence.

The tires are working good. Could be a little sticker but for stock tires they are not bad. I'm pretty sastified with them right now. I hear they get better with age too.

Gramps Scorpion build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just call me gramps........ Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 22 08-19-2010 09:44 PM
Top gear hill climb: euro gramps vs vato ricers.... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 5 09-19-2008 02:04 PM
Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1/10 Rock Crawler Kit Build, Chapter 2 "The Mod Build" JAM MaxAmps.com Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 06-06-2008 10:00 PM
A Scorpion Build SnoFalls 2.2 Scale Rigs 31 12-26-2006 12:49 AM
Scorpion Build-up Rocker General Crawlers 1 02-04-2006 08:02 AM