RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Which option should I choose for more wheel speed (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/577834-option-should-i-choose-more-wheel-speed.html)

cpu77 01-11-2017 07:04 PM

Which option should I choose for more wheel speed

Hey guys I'm brand new to RC. I've been lurking on here a while. I bought a used SCX10 Rubicon recently and would like to get a little more wheel speed. I would like to have my cake and eat it too....Still have low craw speed and more wheel speed. I just play in the backyard with my kids so no comp stuff. So far I tried 2s and 3s Batteries. The 3s got it close to what I want. I would like a little more punch. I will run 3s batteries thats a given....After doing some research I came up with a few ideas....

1. Dual Motors Twin 21T...Need either dual ECS or a Dual motor ESC (Hobbywing one). I assume twin 21t will give me more Torque and wheel speed then a stock 27T? May not crawl slow enough?

2. Brushed Holmes Hobbies Motor 27T (Trailmaster Pro?) Not sure which one? About the same cost as running dual axial 21t or 27t.

3. Brushless Sensored Motor ESC Setup

4. RC4wd 2 speed Transmission Running Stock motor

Would you guys be kind enough to help me shake out my next upgrade path? I know running 3s I will need to upgrade driveline.

winnerone23 01-11-2017 07:14 PM

Re: Which option should I choose for more wheel speed

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpu77 (Post 5648469)
Hey guys I'm brand new to RC. I've been lurking on here a while. I bought a used SCX10 Rubicon recently and would like to get a little more wheel speed. I would like to have my cake and eat it too....Still have low craw speed and more wheel speed. I just play in the backyard with my kids so no comp stuff. So far I tried 2s and 3s Batteries. The 3s got it close to what I want. I would like a little more punch. I will run 3s batteries thats a given....After doing some research I came up with a few ideas....

1. Dual Motors Twin 21T...Need either dual ECS or a Dual motor ESC (Hobbywing one). I assume twin 21t will give me more Torque and wheel speed then a stock 27T? May not crawl slow enough?

2. Brushed Holmes Hobbies Motor 27T (Trailmaster Pro?) Not sure which one? About the same cost as running dual axial 21t or 27t.

3. Brushless Sensored Motor ESC Setup

4. RC4wd 2 speed Transmission Running Stock motor

Would you guys be kind enough to help me shake out my next upgrade path? I know running 3s I will need to upgrade driveline.

Welcome to the sickness, of RC and upgrading!

Scratch 1 and 4, off your list..

The choice between 2 and 3, depends on a couple things..
1. What's your budget like..
2. How fast do you want to spend that budget!? Lol

On 3s.. playing or comping, I ran a HH 16t Crawlmaster pro. Way smoother crawling and trailing. Plus, better top end wheel speed.. it's equal to the 27t, in ways.. just a nicer reacting motor.
With this option, you won't break as many parts or strip as many gears.

But.. I switched all my scale rigs, over to waterproof HH brushless setups.. you can have Anything you want!
Brushed motor like, smooth crawling and race truck, wheel speed!
It's the best time I found, in a trail/scale rig..
With this option, you'll be replacing your drive line, a good bit faster!
Have no fear!!! Your wife and bank account, may not be happy.. guaranteed, you and the kids will come back smiling, Everytime you run it!!! [emoji106] [emoji12] [emoji6]

GLwagon 01-13-2017 10:12 AM

With a sensored setup I have seen a single pole 17.5 on a 4s battery creep as slow or slower than my brushed setup.
Castle now has waterproof Sensored ESCs, & with some liberal use of Di-electric Grease & some "GE RTV 2" on the motor sensor board underwater cogging can be very rare.

I personally have chosen to run a Brushless Sensor-less setup, & am quite happy overall. I did sacrifice wheel speed for creeping, but it is good.
I have a TenShock 1750kv Six Pole on a 3s in a SCX10ii,
A HobbyStar 550 sized 2350kv Four Pole on a 3s in a AX10,
A airplane 2830 sized 1200kv in a CR-01 (geared as high as the gear box allows),
Torque is not a problem in any of these & I could gear up for wheel speed, but the minimum drive/wheel speed would go up.
I have brushed motors in the rest of my trucks & they are great, but their run time is a lot less.

redneck crawler 01-13-2017 02:33 PM

I would suggest going brushless. I was board one day and pulled a 2200kv sensored brushless motor and esc out of a touring / drift car i was not using. Installed it into the wraith just too see. absolutely love it. It can still crawl and do sweet burn outs.
Keep an eye out in the classifieds for a used system, then get a 6-pack of pinion gears and start playing with it until you get what you want.