Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: RCP Clocked Axle Cs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RCP Clocked Axle Cs

I installed my axle Cs last night. Before purchasing, I thought that the other position would position the diff yoke so that it was parallel to the ground. Instead it actually positions the diff yoke so that it points into the ground. It's nice that you can use the Cs on either side of the truck. Don't get me wrong the products are very well made, but why would you want the yoke pointing down?
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
I installed my axle Cs last night. Before purchasing, I thought that the other position would position the diff yoke so that it was parallel to the ground. Instead it actually positions the diff yoke so that it points into the ground. It's nice that you can use the Cs on either side of the truck. Don't get me wrong the products are very well made, but why would you want the yoke pointing down?
switch the position til it points upwardor swap the c's left to right.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Mine doesn't point down...Try the other position. I also don't think I want the yoke to be paralell to the ground, more like aiming at standard ride height in a straight line to the tranny output yoke.

I will say the Clocking of these isn't a huge change from stock, but it allows you to mount them on either side and still have a good chance at castor. As far as I can see they are the exact same pieces, not like the stock units so swapping from left to right is no benefit.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The "down" position is for use in scale applications where the "up" rotated pinion is too much angle. For scale builds where a parallel with the ground pinion angle is needed, the caster angle on the C will be slightly forward. This is how many people have their rigs set up in order to rotate the pinion "up" without a clocked C in a comp set-up.

Make any sense?
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

i dont see how these would change the diff yoke(pinion angle) position at all ... the links would still keep the axle in the same position ...wouldnt it ?? ..or am i missing something here ??

Last edited by TIMZKRAWLER; 10-24-2007 at 10:28 AM.
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
The "down" position is for use in scale applications where the "up" rotated pinion is too much angle. For scale builds where a parallel with the ground pinion angle is needed, the caster angle on the C will be slightly forward. This is how many people have their rigs set up in order to rotate the pinion "up" without a clocked C in a comp set-up.

Make any sense?
Makes sense and upon further analysis of the axle c. It wouldn't be possible to have both the angled position and parallel position because of the diameter of the mounting holes. I was looking at this from the persepective that 0* caster would be the ideal steering geometry in any crawling situation.
I was planning on mounting the axles on a bmv-II chassis and didn't want to have to make a wedge to maintain 0* caster.
Anybody else interested in seeing the production of a non-clocked axle c?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
Anybody else interested in seeing the production of a non-clocked axle c?

With the pinion in the "up" postion the C is non-clocked, that is the stock location. If you are asking for a single position C that had the pinion parallel with the ground and also had the caster at 0* that is possible, but we would need a bunch of people asking for that before we could commit to an order for them.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZKRAWLER View Post
i dont see how these would change the diff yoke(pinion angle) position at all ... the links would still keep the axle in the same position ...wouldnt it ?? ..or am i missing something here ??

That's what I don't get either....when people say their pinion points down and people say to swap the c's.....the links position the axle not the c's. Clocking c's changes castor not pinion angle...so you can change pinion angle and keep stock castor.

That would be like cutting and turning your knuckles on a 1:1 toyota axle but not changing the spring perches....= no change in pinion angle = pointless. You cut and turn your knuckles so when you relocate your spring perches to change your pinion angle it keeps the same castor.

Unless I'm missing something too....if your pinion is pointing down on your front axle the only way to adjust it is to move your upper link forward on the frame or lower link backward....or both..changing c's will do nothing for it.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

yea you can point your pinion wher ever you want it wiht your links. but that in turn messes with your steering clocked C's are to correct your castor. but yea you still have to "adjust" your link length allong with adding the C's

Last edited by dhoffroad; 10-24-2007 at 09:10 PM.
dhoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
With the pinion in the "up" postion the C is non-clocked, that is the stock location. If you are asking for a single position C that had the pinion parallel with the ground and also had the caster at 0* that is possible, but we would need a bunch of people asking for that before we could commit to an order for them.
Yup. That's what I'm asking for. Anybody else interested?