Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Traxxas big bore problem, breakover is no good

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Traxxas big bore problem, breakover is no good

So my stock shock caps kept pulling out so I put in some big bore shocks with the axial shafts to get a bit more length. It brought it down low..but I don't like the performance...a bit more stability vs crappy breakover isn't worth it to me.

This is the line that is really bugging me after putting in the bigbores in. I can't do this line anymore....and really there are no other lines that I couldn't do before the bigbores.

Oh and high clearance links aren't going to solve the problem it's my belly that drags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNbNwXaSqnU

So the question is my stock shocks are in pieces so I don't know how long the original ones were eye to eye. What are the measurments? Also does anyone know what shocks are around the same length as the stock axial shafts that aren't plastic cheapies?

Thanks, Joe
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Guess would be the Wheely King, E-Savage, and Savage...very long travel shocks on all of those and well aluminum is available for them all.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i used the shafts from the axial shocks in my big bores and it helped a ton..

makes em stand a little taller, just make sure to use the stock axial bump stops or they bottom out on compression..

i'm very happy with em.. also, i'm using 50wt oil and white losi springs..(added a preload spacer just to make up the difference)
crawls2thewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think your truck looked great in the video.
Scooteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawls2thewalls View Post
i used the shafts from the axial shocks in my big bores and it helped a ton..
Read his post his did use the Axial shafts in the Big Bores and still finds there to be in-sufficient break over or droop.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i saw, i was saying it worked great for me.. i see what you mean though, i worded it kinda stupid..

maybe the spring oil combo is better..

Last edited by crawls2thewalls; 10-08-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Break over is not at all dependant upon the shocks damping or springs...it is all about extension.

So since he and you swapped to shorter body shocks you have limited the down travel or extension. Meaning if you took a stock set up and yours, the stock would extend down more were you holding the truck up by the center of the tranny plate.

Sometimes lower break over is ideal, its all dependant upon driving style and rocks. I too like miller am faced with tall rocks that tend to hang me up, so the break over becomes very critical in getting over things in the line you intend.

Droop suspensions work solely on the idea of break overs and droops or drops of the suspension.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I picked up some of the aluminum Bigbores, used the stock axial shafts and white traxxis springs. I also left one stock axial in the left rear. It cut almost all my torque steer out and can climb very well. It looks like it is leaning when standing still, but climbs great. I am also using 45wt oil in all shocks. This is by far the best set up, now I am just waiting on some kreepys to come in. To answer your question, I searched and could not find anything that was close in length locally to the axial shocks. The closest I found was some aluminum HPI shocks, did not want to pay the $45 for 2 of them.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

please correct me if i'm wrong, but the "break over" part of the vid is the very end right?? at like 1:25 ish..

did he expect to not touch at all?
honestly once positioned it took all of 7 seconds to find traction and that seemed pretty descent to me..
Old 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Maybe the Duratrax Evader shocks could work?
chaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Evaders/Losis with Axial Shafts are even shorter than the Big Bores.

Crawls yup thats the part...I agree, its not bad at all
...especially since those look like the kit stock tires, which I do like once well worn (I helped mine by picking it up lightly and flooring it for a few minutes on my new concrete rouch sidewalk the city put in). I think using some wheel weights or aluminum wheels and Losi Rock Claws you might find you are fine on that same line.

Miller try cutting that body up...with it catching so much it could be pulling your tires and even causing the tires to "snap" at the rock rather than smooth movements.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawls2thewalls View Post
please correct me if i'm wrong, but the "break over" part of the vid is the very end right?? at like 1:25 ish..

did he expect to not touch at all?
honestly once positioned it took all of 7 seconds to find traction and that seemed pretty descent to me..

In the comments for the video, it says that there were no mods done at that point, the Big Bores were on order. I am assuming from the comments, and his post, that he can no longer make that line.
thenewguy821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

wow, good eye..

you sir are correct..

that explains alot..
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaman View Post
Maybe the Duratrax Evader shocks could work?
Evaders are definitely shorter. I run them now with a sprung setup and will be running them on a droop setup after tomorrow...
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

IMHO ,depending on terrain you have to sacrafice one for the other here in crawlerado we have many different types of terra.Sometimes slickrock,busted up rock with holes everywhre [I DONT LIKE IT] my personal opinion,and sometimes giant pieces of granite with all careristics of all the above.Just have to find what works best for you.I run the big bores seems good for me .Always room for improvemnt good luck.
sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

You know you could try a longer plastic ball end. You could also try unscrewing the one on there...might lead to breakage more easily.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Guys that is the stock set up with the battery mounted in the stock location in the video.

I cant make that climb with the new set up and don't have video of it. I've cleaned up my stock shocks put them back together, made sure the oring was inside the cap and seated properly and super glued the caps on...should solve my problem.

So for me anyways bigbores were a waste of money . Thanks for the leads on other shocks that might work. I think I'll just see how these hold up.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:47 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy821 View Post
In the comments for the video, it says that there were no mods done at that point, the Big Bores were on order. I am assuming from the comments, and his post, that he can no longer make that line.
lol I see you figured it out.

So far as noted in my build thread the best mods so far have been battery on the rear axle, weights added to the front axle.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

miller: Put that battery up front that will help. Also like I said the new Losi Rock Claws and I'm seeing alot of good on the new Imex Rubicons. I also like my Rock Claws as their stock foams are just about perfect...good flex and yet not too much softness.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

If you still have problems with the shock caps, the big bore aluminum shock caps are a direct fit to the stock Axials and would probably go a long way to solving that problem (assuming you haven't stripped the shock body threads).

Where in North Van was that video? I lived there for 6 years, so was just curious.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote