Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: aftermarket Driveshafts ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default aftermarket Driveshafts ?

Since few vendors list the Deadbolt or Ridgecrest, What is the best Steel driveshaft for the new AX10 ?

Is the Wraith driveshaft the same length as the deadbolt? I don't have a wraith to compare.

I have looked at RC4WD with some confusionc as to which AX10 they' re shafts fit.

Thanks for any specifics

CG3
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: aftermarket Driveshafts ?

The deadbolt and ridgecrest are the same exact thing as far as running gear and chassis. So the driveshafts on them are the same. Unless you've changed your links for longer or shorter ones. Then you'll have to measure your drive lines to find the length you need.
jboehler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

MIP's all the way. Part #11116 (Wraith driveshafts are the same for the Ridgecrest and Deadbolt).
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Raskal, thats what I needed.
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

X2 for MIP's! I love mine.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
mip's all the way. Part #11116 (wraith driveshafts are the same for the ridgecrest and deadbolt).
AGREED ^^^

I've never had a singel issue with MIP shafts, tried Junfac before, bound up first time they saw and sand.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Well I know this thread is a little old but why the hell put MIP's on a ridgecrest or deadbolt? They go slow as a snail and yes they have a lot of torque but you DO NOT need MIP's. From my experience with a 4x4 lcg traxxas slash, those need MIP's not a ridgecrest. The power the slash puts out with a MMP and a 3800 KV combo is insane but that was just an example! Simply take a steel rod, "shoo gue" it into your male driveshaft end and you'll be good for a long time! Trust me it works, my wraith has a tekin RS w/ a 10.5t redline motor running 3s and I've had this set-up for about a year now and those modded stock driveshafts are holding up to the power!! Sorry I mentioned a traxxas slash in this thread but it was just an example. Hope this helps, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
...Simply take a steel rod, "shoo gue" it into your male driveshaft end and you'll be good for a long time!
I actually went this same route instead of using a set of JunFac's I had laying around. The trick is to do it before the stock driveshaft snaps (which it will). Mine is still in the truck but I haven't driven it in a long time.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ml#post3765684
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
In the band for now.

be carefull who you take advice from (uneducated teen no doubt)go with the MIP's they hold up great and one less thing to worry about. any body that tells you not to use them , well. I wouldn't follow his advice apparently he's no to bright and buys the same crappy D Shafts over and over. I would love to see the scrap metal he uses as a d shaft on his 1x1 unless its a Prius which sounds right up his alley
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I agree the MIP Drive shafts are the way to go.

I guess if you are running a tekin RS w/ a 10.5t redline motor running 3s and going for some kind of full power
speed run then sho goo and the rod might work.

But if you are like the rest of the people and crawl with your cralwer
then a cheap 55T brushed motor with a 11T pinion and a cheap 2S lipo it will just slowly tear
the driveshaft off in one little snap.

But don't take this advice from me. I don't have a experience with a "4x4 lcg traxxas slash"
Flash178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

MIP all the way!!!!!
Attached Images

Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Norton, Somewhere at your place is a complete RTR Ridgecrest.
I am pretty sure that besides the battery tray there is nothing left in your ridge crest that is original...lol
Freaking awesome.
Flash178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
be carefull who you take advice from (uneducated teen no doubt)go with the MIP's they hold up great and one less thing to worry about. any body that tells you not to use them , well. I wouldn't follow his advice apparently he's no to bright and buys the same crappy D Shafts over and over. I would love to see the scrap metal he uses as a d shaft on his 1x1 unless its a Prius which sounds right up his alley
I assume this was directed at me?

Yes, MIP's are a great choice...I own several sets. Sometimes though there is a much cheaper and quicker fix.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 03-05-2014 at 07:54 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I think it was aimed axial4x4crawler

I am hoping it was sarcasm though as i'm running the cheaper version of just using the stock plastic from a parts tree glued into my shafts on both rigs and they're holding fine (we'll see how it goes when i go brushless) i see MIP's in my future once these break

but for the SCX10 with a Holmes Hobbies 13t crawlmaster expert, the shaft is giving me no issues with the plastic insert glued in teh male end.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
In the band for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I assume this was directed at me?

Yes, MIP's are a great choice...I own several sets. Sometimes though there is a much cheaper and quicker fix.
not at all, a club member posted this while I went to get us some beer. just noticed now and he will be severely beaten when I see him.

my apologies chud
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Everyone here who thinks you need to upgrade the stock driveshafts to metal needs a check up from the neck up! If you have not upgraded to brushless or HUGE tires, why do you feel you need expensive shafts? If a shaft breaks once, is it a poor design? Nope, perhaps an accident. I have the stock shafts on my wrexo with a vangard brushless system on 3s and they hold up to everything I throw at it.....because I filled the hollow void in the male end....

Question: What is wrong with the stock shaft?
Answer: The male end is hollow and will allow it to collapse and twist like a twizzler candy stick.
Fix: Fill the hollow void with a solid material - bolt, dowel rod, epoxy....whatever keeps it from collapsing in the void

But if you insist on spending the money, the I offer my apology and will hereby remove you from the blanketed statement above. Yes, MIP is the choice by many. Junfac is another good one. Do you need them for a stock set up? NOPE! Do you need them for a brushless set up? Depends.....I havent needed them yet.

I stand by this post and believe it has value so new hobbyists stopping by don't get the inaccurate impression that you NEED to upgrade your drive shafts like they do the stock servo horn. Accurate information is essential for making educated/intelligent decisions.

**End Rant**

Last edited by redsawacs; 09-02-2014 at 10:43 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Well Folks I bought a used set of Junfacs, and had them laying around till I twisted my stock shafts ( with the 20 turn stock motor and 2s, WHO says it cant be done?? ) and they work great ( the junfacs) I sprayed the shafts with dry lube ( no dust probs )
Phatz is offline   Reply With Quote

aftermarket Driveshafts ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for good aftermarket driveshafts LRS30 Tamiya CR-01 20 08-19-2011 11:40 AM
Axial Aftermarket Driveshafts Axialfreak98 General Scale Talk 7 01-28-2011 07:46 AM
aftermarket asw27x Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 04-28-2010 07:49 AM
aftermarket chassis seven_gun Redcat Crawlers 0 04-28-2010 12:02 AM
aftermarket chassis's rdearolf Axial AX-10 Scorpion 29 03-09-2009 01:08 PM