RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Capra (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/)
-   -   Rear Steer Conversion parts list (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/612340-rear-steer-conversion-parts-list.html)

Rich Trujillo 10-10-2019 01:58 PM

Rear Steer Conversion parts list

Hi All,
I've been asked quite a bit about a list of parts needed to convert a rear axle to "rear steer". Keep in mind this list is based on you converting a rear axle and not all the parts to build one.

1 - AXI232004 Currie F9 Portal Axle Housing Front
1 - AXI232006 Currie F9 Portal Steering Knuckle Caps
1 - AXA1230 Bearing 10x15x4mm (2 Bearings)
1 - AXI232009 F9 Universal Axle Set(2) (1 Set)
1 - AX31403 M3x4x10mm Hex Button Head Shoulder Screw (4)
1 - AXI234004 Susp Pivot Ball, Stainless Steel 7.4mm (4 pieces)
1 - AXI234005 Steering Links, Stainless Steel (1 Set)
1 - AXI234006 HD Rod Ends M4 (4 straight Ends)
1 - AXA144 Hex Flat Head M3x8mm (2 pieces)
1 - AXA0109 Hex Socket Oversize Head 3x10mm (4 pieces)
1 - AXI234007 Steering Servo Arm & Inserts (1 Set)
1 - AXA116 M3 x 12mm Button Head (1 needed)
1 - AXI235109 M3 x 14mm Button Head (1 needed)
1 - AXA120 M3 x 25mm BH (1 needed)

Rich

Panther6834 10-10-2019 02:50 PM

Re: Rear Steer Conversion parts list

Being new to crawlers, I don't know much (ok, I don't really know anything) about dual steering, so I'm sure my question is going to appear 'dumb' to quite a few people...although, I'm sure there will be others who think "good question". With a dual steering setup (obviously, requiring two servos), is the dual steering always active? Or, can steering be switched between dual steering, and front-only steering?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

hibbs 10-10-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther6834 (Post 5969044)
Being new to crawlers, I don't know much (ok, I don't really know anything) about dual steering, so I'm sure my question is going to appear 'dumb' to quite a few people...although, I'm sure there will be others who think "good question". With a dual steering setup (obviously, requiring two servos), is the dual steering always active? Or, can steering be switched between dual steering, and front-only steering?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Hey buddy I’ve had a rear steering setup before. It can work a couple of ways. The ideal setup is a radio that accommodates 4WS (4 wheel steering). I have a futaba 4pl that does nicely but many nicer radios do too. I don’t think many rtr grade radios do though.

It works like this: you plug each servo in separate channels (1 & 3) and the radio will mix them into one function. You can toggle between 4 settings: front only steering, 4 wheels steer opposite (tight turning), 4 wheels steer same way (“crab crawling”) and rear only steering.

Now I’m sure you could set it up on a budget but with less control. For example if you plugged both servos into the steering channel with a y connector you would have either 4ws or 4ws crab crawl. Reversing the polarity to one servo should reverse the direction and thus the 4ws mode. This is less ideal because you can’t turn it off but it’d let you use 4ws. Like the old Tamiya clod busters, they were always in 4ws mode.

FastMatt 10-10-2019 04:53 PM

I added it all up. Hmm $150 to convert...

Siggy 10-10-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibbs (Post 5969072)
Hey buddy I’ve had a rear steering setup before. It can work a couple of ways. The ideal setup is a radio that accommodates 4WS (4 wheel steering). I have a futaba 4pl that does nicely but many nicer radios do too. I don’t think many rtr grade radios do though.

It works like this: you plug each servo in separate channels (1 & 3) and the radio will mix them into one function. You can toggle between 4 settings: front only steering, 4 wheels steer opposite (tight turning), 4 wheels steer same way (“crab crawling”) and rear only steering.

Now I’m sure you could set it up on a budget but with less control. For example if you plugged both servos into the steering channel with a y connector you would have either 4ws or 4ws crab crawl. Reversing the polarity to one servo should reverse the direction and thus the 4ws mode. This is less ideal because you can’t turn it off but it’d let you use 4ws. Like the old Tamiya clod busters, they were always in 4ws mode.

There are also Programmable Servos, easy to use.

Panther6834 10-10-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibbs (Post 5969072)

Sweet...and, thank you (greatly) for the info. BTW, I'm running a 7PX, so assuming I wouldn't have any problems. I don't any plans for 4-wheel steering on my camera, but, when it comes to selecting my next two vehicle, it's a strong possibility for one of them. I figured, since someone brought the subject up now, I might as well ask.

hibbs 10-10-2019 05:42 PM

I ordered the 4WS parts by looking at the exploded view during pre order. I got a front steering axle before the kit came in. I got my Capra 80% done. Trying to make my non-recommended dig servo work out. I’m excited to try the buggy and especially with 4WS setup!

WHITE-TRASH 10-10-2019 06:27 PM

Conversion parts are nice but I'd like to know if & when the axles will be available separately.

Rich Trujillo 10-11-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5969125)
Conversion parts are nice but I'd like to know if & when the axles will be available separately.

They will but they are a ways out. All parts are going to production of vehicles first. I would guess by 1st quarter of next year.

Robbob 10-11-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5969125)

Just buy another one :mrgreen:

Panther6834 10-11-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbob (Post 5969258)

Why not...I mean, that's what many racers do. Buying two kits is typically cheaper than buying one kit + all the necessary replacement parts. When the TLR 22 5.0 came out, I had considered that...but decided to hold off...and, with the recent release of the 22 5.0 Elite, I'm glad I did.

Topher Builds 10-11-2019 08:53 AM

I’m not about to do the math, but if you don’t want to part out a kit one could consider piecing the axles together. Maybe it can be done for less than $200?

https://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=UTB

WHITE-TRASH 10-11-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo (Post 5969256)
They will but they are a ways out. All parts are going to production of vehicles first. I would guess by 1st quarter of next year.

Good enough, I hope type trans is available in a package deal eventually too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbob (Post 5969258)

Buy yourself one and I'll consider it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5969265)
I’m not about to do the math, but if you don’t want to part out a kit one could consider piecing the axles together. Maybe it can be done for less than $200?

https://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=UTB

I did the rough math the other day and figure it's in the $250 range to start from scratch.

Sneetches 10-11-2019 09:23 AM

Cost wise it definitely would make more sense to wait for the portals separately, or see what the fleabay types would charge. I feel like it would definitely be a smart move to offer them as front/rear package like the AR44s.

elementti 11-10-2019 05:29 AM

I am intrigued by 4WS. Any pics & experiences would be appreciated.

Panther6834 11-10-2019 06:39 AM

There's a post in the Axial forums (http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/1073927914) showing everything needed, and some photos of how to do it. Additionally, Supershafty sells apre-packaged "kit" (actually, two different versions) for adding rear steering to a Capra. Unfortunately, he is currently out, but should have them back in soon.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Barndog Racing 12-03-2019 05:53 AM

Awesome Rich thanks for the list!

Hal 12-02-2020 03:55 PM

I don't think you can get away with reversing servo by reversing polarity on your servo. It will fry the electronics inside. I know back in the day Sanwa radio's had the positive and negative reversed from all the other brands and if you didn't change wiring you would cook the servo. There is a way to do it by changing the wiring inside the servo, but it's not easy. The new servos that are programmable can do it with a programmer. It's easier and more convenient to get a new radio with another chanel.

Panther6834 12-02-2020 05:30 PM

The easiest, and probably only, way to reverse a servo is in the transmitter settings.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Steve g 12-02-2020 06:43 PM

....or buy a 5 dollar servo signal reverser.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk