Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: My first non-Traxxas in a loooooong time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My first non-Traxxas in a loooooong time.

Another day, another addition-- to join the three TRX-4s already in residence. The Capra 1.9 Builder's Kit, finished with an MKS 550 servo, HW 1080WP + HH 13T Crawlmaster 540,
and a set of PitBull Mad Beasts that have been bouncing from truck to truck trying to find a home-- and I think they finally have.

I put in a set of SSD 14/21 Overdrive portal gears up front, and had to drop to an 11T pinion, as the included 14T just felt like... too much. It really will climb most anything.
Working on it is decidedly NOT Traxxas. The simple action of changing the pinion gear is like performing origami with plastic and metal.

As I have read, the Spektrum SX107 dig servo is hot garbage. I think it's already conking out, and I don't even have 2 packs through the rig. If anyone has any suggestions
for a dig servo, I'm all ears-- even if everyone just says "spend the money and get a Reefs 99." I'd love something cheaper, but I'm willing to buy most anything to get that SX107 out of there.

DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My first non-Traxxas in a loooooong time.

Looks good.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

X2. looks really good, I like the green. How do those Pitbull tires grip up?

I honestly hate working on my TRX4. compared to my 10ii, there’s so much more stuff to take off to get into the transmission for example. The 10ii is two screws. TRX4 it’s the battery tray, the diff servos, the shift servo, and the motor.

Anyways, looks good.

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Mad Beasts had moved from rig to rig, trying to find a happy home. As none of the trucks here are even remotely the same weight, a set that's terrible on one truck might shine on another.
For as few runs as the Mad Beasts have on them, they're hooking up remarkably well on the Capra. I'd love if they were maybe a little taller, and just a tiny bit wider, but of the tires I have on
hand, they're the best of the group. Will they be the long-term tires? Far too early to make any kind of claim like that.

Momentarily borrowed a set of 90mm Desert Lizards from my "big" truck for a run on the Capra, and hated it. Even with the lightest spring set and 4-hole pistons, it was like driving in molasses.
I know a lot of folks don't seem to be fans of the kit shocks, but I'm really liking them. Red springs and the kit 35wt at all four corners.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So the dig. Ugh. Installed an STH HCv3 skid so I could take advantage of the dig servo mount-- which is great, and a perfect fit. Replaced the SX107 with a tiny little (and loud) Savox. Removed the servo saver, attempted to set the throw via endpoint adjustment. The dig function works just fine (far, FAR better than stock,) but when moving forward in 4WD, I can occasionally hear a little bit of clattering from the dig unit, and sometimes I think the rear tires stutter a little, as if the dig is "catching."

The chatter from the dig is less annoying than the chatter from the Savox (which I was kinda expecting, it is a Savox after all) but I'm a little concerned about potential parts wear. So I guess I'll be pulling it all apart again and looking over the dig to see where I probably messed up.

The HCv3 dig mount can also accommodate a full-size servo, of which I have quite a few, so I might mess about with some other servos for the dig as well. I was hoping for the super lightweight of the Savox micro, but man. It's noisy. Probably the noisiest Savox I've ever had.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:04 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Savox in service for a day, replaced by a venerable Airtronics 94851. It's not fast and it's not light-- but it is old and strong in equal measures. Dug up one of those old-timey
aluminum arms with plastic insert (it's a Capra steering horn in reverse!) to fit the Sanwa splines, and whaddaya know, it's the exact proper length. The horn comes out
waaaaaaayyy higher than with a micro fitted, so I turned some delrin rod on the lathe to make a new... linkage? The round bit that goes into the oval bit. Threaded from
the top, so I can take it apart without disassembling the whole dig apparatus. With this servo, EPA is set at 20/25. So even this old chunker seems quick enough, only having
to travel like 15º. Also, the STH HCv3 skid + dig mount = great. I dunno what Axial was thinking with those two little stems of flaxy plastic to hold the dig servo in place.

Then of course, new wheels and tires. What I assume are knock-off KLR M/Ts, because they come in a size that I don't think the KLR ever came in. They're 2.2s, but the overall
height of a 1.9" tire (just under 4.9" tall.). The rubber feels good, and the foams aren't overly hard. I put a set of the 4.19" 1.9 KLRs on a bone-stock TRX-4 Defender, and
was absolutely blown away, so I thought I'd give the 2.2s a try... after seeing these wheels. I don't know what they're a knock-off of a knock-off of, but I do love the look of
them. The included black oxide hardware was the worst I've ever seen, I had to use my own stock of M2x5 to bolt the beadlock rings on. But my heavens do they look good.
My favorite looking set of beadlocks I have on hand by a wide margin.

Tires/foams definitely need some break-in, and maybe a little WD40 treatment to speed that along. The faux KLRs aren't as good as the (actual) Mad Beasts for scaling steeper
stuff, but out of the package they're acceptable. Hoping they'll season in well, because I'm just in love with the wheels.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

For a dig servo, I'm using the PowerHD TR-4 micro servo. It's waterproof and can be run at 7.4v. Instead of the servo saver, I just use the plastic servo horn that comes with the TR-4 servo and it works fine once end points are set.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So... I've done the WD40 treatment on many a tire over many a year-- but apparently not on that many tires many out of cheap rubber. Because I think I ruined the fauxKLRs. I apply the WD with a chip brush, so it's no like anything is getting dipped. I brushed on a nice coat and left them to sit. About two hours later, you couldn't tell I had done it, it just all absorbed. So I brushed on another coat. The next morning, they looked and felt pretty good. Unfortunately, on the rocks they were just TURRIBLE. Like... the second coat just sat on the top. Ice disks. WD40 is a terrible lubricant, but it sure slicked those tires up good.

They came off the wheels, I might stuff 'em in a ziploc with some Simple Green. Can't make 'em any worse. In the interim, some RC4WD Rock Crusher X/Ts 2.2s, which are simply fantastic. They look good, they grip great. They might even stick around!

Old 05-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The Rock Crushers continue to be great, and the Capra might be as great as it can get in my hands. At this point, any failings are completely on me, because this thing could practically climb a fence. On first drive, I was like, "wow. this is pretty good." Fast forward to the installation of 4WS, and it's more like, "WHAT!? HOW!? NO WAY."

Axial Capra Builder's Kit
  • Powertrain: Hobbywing HW1080WP + Tekin HD 35T
  • Gearing: SSD 14/21 front overdrive, 11T pinion
  • Suspension: OE Capra shocks, red front, purple rear, 35wt
  • Servos: MKS HBL550 (front,) AGFRC SA18 (rear,) Sanwa 94851 (dig.)
  • Spare Time Hobbies flat skid + dig mount
  • Lafeina 2.2 multi-spoke beadlocks w/ 5.5" RC4WD Rock Crusher M/Ts

This thing explodes to life when you put a front end on the back end. Installation of the physical parts was simple and straight-forward, while setting up the 4WS in the Spektrum radio made me want to burn down the building. It's one of the least intuitive pieces of electronics I've ever used in my life-- and I've owned a bunch of stuff made by Garmin. That says a lot.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I really like the unique touches and the 4WS...

Nifty wheel and tire combo, too - I'll bet those tires last you forever, and if they grip in the terrain you crawl on, that's awesome!

They give your Capra an extremely purposeful style.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Your rig is looking badass! And the comment about being less intuitive than a Garmin cracked me up. I have a couple Garmins so I know exactly what you are talking about lol.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I used (and still own) a Garmin Edge 500 cycling GPS for many years-- and I had bought it refurbished, long after it had already been discontinued by the manufacturer. The Edge 520 that replaced it was the unit that made me swear to myself, "not another Garmin, not ever again." It was like being in an abusive relationship.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Completely understand. I used to have an Edge 500 until it died, then replaced with the Edge 520. Also have two different Garmin Forerunner watches. I completely get the frustration. Lol

My first non-Traxxas in a loooooong time. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first Traxxas vehicle in a very long time evlwevl Traxxas TRX-4 4 06-16-2020 01:24 PM
-Mods Time- Traxxas TRX-4 Upgades thread nickt916 Traxxas TRX-4 7 11-13-2017 03:31 PM