Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Project: "Dagger CrestCrawler"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Unhappy Project: "Dagger CrestCrawler"

**When replying with quotes, pretty please delete out all the pictures and text that isn't needed for your reply, so it doesn't make this thread any longer than it already is....Thanks, others will appreciate too.**

Well, I had to come up with a name worthy of a man cave project - am I right?!?! I think every name needs to have macho words in them!

Since I have WAY too many vehicles, I decided to turn one of them into a crawler and since the Ridgecrest is close already, I may as well use that one. So, after talking about it witht he wife, I walked into the garage to see one of my Ridgecrests had spontaneously combusted on the work bench - a humble and worthy volunteer!

With a VERY generic mental image and a list of parts on order, I waited to see what would show up first and when.....
Fastback II chassis was first up, decided to upgrade most of the included hardware to something more my flavor....ok, its just standard black screws and not the stainless - give me a break, I think it looks better!

Once I FINALLY figured out how this dang thing when together, more "Man Chocolate arrived....MMMMMMMMM!!!!!

I am going to use VP steering intead of the STRC links so I decided to change the wheel hubs to VP as well. The CVDs are a nice upgrade and I made the drive shafts solid using a 6mm bolt from Lowes.

I really like the way this turned out, we'll see if it works with the VP steering. Not sure what battery I am going to use up here but I do know it needs to be small

More to follow

Last edited by redsawacs; 12-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Project: "Dagger CrestCrawler"

Alright, got some more man candy when I came home from work today......

Found out that I need to rethink my steering set up....so this is what it now looks like - tuned and ready to rock! I get about 100 degrees of total turning angle at the knuckles

A little testing video
http://s482.photobucket.com/user/sma...5d668.mp4.html

Got the underdrive in the rear axle and put that back together...we'll see if I needed to add it or not soon enough.

I started putting the dig together and I had to run to the dang hobby store for a bearing that I didnt have....would have been nice to do more research on that one. Tight fit - VERY tight fit. I had to change the linkage and make it direct shift. Keep in mind, I'm using stock axial products in this area....Sigh

I have this rock star 55T but I really want to get a 35T at some point....I guess this will do for now. Only thing that will fit is a removable end bell motor - stocker had to go

mounted the ESC on the roof panel for now since I am using the stock ESC, its a little larger that I want, so I needed to get it up and out of the way - not bad actually!

Decided to take a few more minutes to change the stock shocks to aluminum bodies and I swapped for black code springs as well. Not sure how everything is going to work out but we'll see hopefully by next week. Everything is together except the links - I am really dreading that part. I bought some 3/16 aluminum stock today, maybe that will be a worthy opponent.

For now, I am going to use XR10 stock wheels but I dont know if I want to add inner wheel weights or just order some solid slugs from vanquish - if they ever get them back in stock! I bought a set of Rovers and a set of Sedona tires, think I'll use the Rovers up front and see how that works. if I add weight rings, i'll have to dismount the tires if I want to switch them from front to rear during testing - I would rather not have to work that hard, I think the slugs will be enough. BUT, I still have to get the links built and check the weight bias before I start ordering weight I dont need.

Getting excited - this is going to be fun to kick around at the local crawl park!

Last edited by redsawacs; 06-06-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I wish that I had the patience to make a thorough build thread! Good job!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
RCC Addict

its a matter of time - the parts weren't coming in fast enough for me to just build it. LOL! I'll start messing with some of the axle links tonight, I hope I can get this up and running soon!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

OH MY! LONG day!

Links are going to be the death of me - I think I have them where I want them. All I have to do is build the upper links - should be super simple! SHOULD!

Here is what I got finished up today. Built 3 different sets of front lowers....just couldnt get them right! nevermind all the numbers and holes....

Plenty of calculations...they were just the wrong calculations - I hate geometry!

BUT, I managed to get a setup that is close to where I want to be...From axle center to the skid - almost 6" in the rear and almost 5" in the front. but I'll get a more accurate measurement once I get the pinion angle figured out and the upper links in place. AUSTIN 3:16 SAYS, THATS A BAD ASS RIG - SON!!! WHAT?!?! WHAT!?!?!

The other issue I had was the front shock and how to get them to mount correctly. I won that one. Check out the tatoo on the servo/battery mount!

I still have to work the issue of the upper front shock mounts...they are binding and only allowing for 3/4 articulation in the front. I think I'll have to use another type of hollow ball or mounting technique in the ball area but I like where the are mounted, that wont change.
The lower shock mounts were giving me a fit and I looked down at my pile of spares and there was a pile of curved shock ends staring me in the face....yes please!

The front driveshaft had to be cut - I changed out the upper "female" part with the short shaft and trimmed the "male" part almost 1/2 inch.....I should have only taken off 1/4", but I think it will work for now. I have solid driveshafts so I'm not too concerned about damage, yet.

Happy with where I got today. Mocked it up on the XR10 wheels I'm going to use just to see how it sits, I think I'm going to be around the 2-2 1/2" ride height...we'll see

I'm going to veg out and watch a movie, drink a beer and open a bag of Lays - we all know you cant eat just one!!!

HIT ME DENZEL!!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I found on my Fastback mounting the uppers on the front shocks to the outside of the chassis, similar to the rears helped with binding and improved articulation. Not much room under the front overhang for big shocks. Great looking Rig.
sacornett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Been TDY all week. I can't wait until I get home tomorrow to work on this thing! Hopefully, more parts will show in the mail!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Do the shock cap mod..... It makes a huge difference in the fit of the shocks and their performance.

You will love it!
trevinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Worked on a few finishing touches yesterday - happy with what I completed
- Front shock cap mod in place but the stock hollow balls are still limiting me - I'll have to work on that later
- Links came in and I did some fab work - rear are stock 101mm with spacers as needed on uppers for pinion angle and fronts are chopped to fit - I think around 87mm...cant remember exactly
- internal wheel weights also showed up so I managed to get the wheels together and painted

Mocked up this is where my ride height sits - for now....still some binding at full squat I need to work out. Articulation is good - I think. I dont see any reason why I need anymore than this but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Once I got the "logistics" worked out...again, for now...I started on the cosmetics. I am going to be mounting the electronics on this roof panel (underside) so I need to get that started. It Looks pretty sweet! I think I need to add more copper to the car....yes, yes I do!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I like the copper! That looks awesome!

Are your front shocks hitting your upper links? Move the upper links to the inside of the chassis plates....may help...
What rod ends did you put on the shocks? I used revo ends....lots of movement in the balls.

Looking good overall!
trevinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

finishing touches before I get to run it for the first time. I am still waiting on batteries to show up.....
- Found a 96T spur and a 12 pinion gear
- Painted all the links and front servo mount simply because I got bored
- Vented the wheels with a 1/8" drill x2 holes per wheel
- Velcro for the ESC to roof just to keep it from moving around
- Trimmed up the steering links so they fit into the wheel at full turn
- Deans plug for motor, shrink wrap the servo wire (I hate the Hitec wire color)
- Angled the rear pinion up a little bit with some shims on the rear upper links
- Snap fit front hood panel for easy access to front shock adjustments as needed
- Changed out the front Sedona tires for a set of Rovers (White dot)

Unless this thing really sucks at crawling, I'm pretty sure this is completed. I MAY add some stickers but aside from that, I'm just going to add front slug weights (if they every show up) and beat the snot out of this thing!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Took it out this weekend and realized I needed to tweet it! Soooo, I changed out the rear springs for red springs to help with torque twish, moved the upper rear shock mounts to stand more upright and played with the link setup to get more movement under load. Then I started shaving weight. Drilled out the wheels and vented them, swapped the Rovers to the rear (added benefit - less weight on rear wheels, more on front). swapped the dig shift servo for a micro servo, took off the copper top plate and hood (will become copper painted lexan), cut down the wires on everything and ordered a Sidewinder micro....who knows when I'll see that thing.

I lost some weight, but I wont know how much until I get everything mounted up. I think I will need to make a front upper link mount to raise the front of the front links to get the clearance I need and perhaps more chassis movement - more to follow on that.

Wish I could get it under 5 Lbs, but I think I am going to lose that battle since I am running a mechanical dig.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

That crawler is looking good! Very sweet setup you got there, and nice explanation on the whole build process! Good luck man.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #14

This thing looks awesome!
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks guys - its been fun for sure!

Things are finally winding down from the move and I just got my new Sidewinder micro in the mail yesterday. I should be able to work on it this weekend and get some more updates on the adjustments i made to the set up

Last edited by redsawacs; 07-27-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #16

Awesome job interested to see how it goes as you finish it off. I have a ridgecrest and looking at making it into something more capable / different from what it is today. Thanks for the inspiration
richard2744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Ok, a little progress in the midst of Chaos this week...got the ESC, receiver and BEC stripped and smashed-ish. I set them aside a 20T motor for size comparison

Then I decided to make a small lexan mounting plate up front ...scuffed it so you can see it and the double sided tape would hold better

Finally, mounted receiver on top and ESC/BEC on bottom of the plate

I still have to address the wiring to the motor, servo and dig servo but those should be simple comparatively speaking. Weighing in at 5 lb. 3oz w/out battery...still too heavy in my mind

Stay Tuned
Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #18

Looking good. Do you just have to 2 screws holding the battery plate on? Mine is similar to yours and it keep wanting to ripping the screws out.
Lsaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I have an aluminum front link mount on the front axle - the screws that hold the battery/servo plate are screwed into that aluminum link mount
Old 08-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Very nice car!!!
Please could you tell me what ESC are you using? It looks like a Castle micro sidewinder, but can it move the car without to be warm?? Where I live the summer is too hot and I´m worried about that!!

thank you very much!!!
carcueza is offline   Reply With Quote

Project: "Dagger CrestCrawler" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10" D19er Axial XR10 105 03-10-2014 05:30 PM
Project "Tombstone" R.I.P "Rest In Pieces" mud digger 2.2 Scale Rigs 25 05-20-2013 07:54 PM
Project "FRANKESTAIN" or "AXIAL FORCE" mykonian General Crawlers 5 03-06-2009 11:37 AM