RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial RR10 Bomber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/)
-   -   Levior* - Becher's Bomber Build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/557530-levior%2A-bechers-bomber-build.html)

mikebecher 02-19-2016 10:49 PM

Levior - Becher's not-a-Bomber Build

Everyone's doing it but I hope this Bomber will be a bit different...

My Wraith is turning into a big fat pig with so many upgrades it now tips the scale at 9 1/2 lbs with no end in sight. After getting a Bomber for my boys it became clear how much all that weight affects it's ability to crawl, not unlike myself. Running less power means fewer upgrades and less weight, which in turn is easier to move. My goal is to keep everything stock that does not have a lighter aftermarket part, within reason. The stock RTR Bomber weighs-in right at 3kg (6.6 lbs). By my calculations, I can easily shave over a pound making it less than 60% of the weight of my Wraith. I want to maintain the 'essence' of the Bomber and keeping it class 3-legal would be a bonus. Maybe while I'm at it, I should shave some pounds off MY fat ass. :shock:

I'm planning to build this over spring break in the hopes that the kit will be out by then, so yeah, I don't even have the Bomber yet. I do have a few of the upgrade parts, so to string this build thread out as long as possible, I'll post them up as they arrive. :twisted:

*Levior - from the Latin adjective meaning "lighter (less heavy), quicker, swifter"

mikebecher 02-19-2016 11:24 PM

Re: Levior* - Becher's Bomber Build

2 Attachment(s)
Dlux Fab Axle Trusses
weight difference +17g
worth the little added weight for strength and servo relocation

Wraith Transmission
weight difference -100g
the Bomber tranny is huge and heavy, out it goes

Attachment 337402 Attachment 337403

F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. 02-20-2016 06:11 AM

A wraith trans is the way I am going as well.. I have been keeping my eyes peel'd for a used one, can't wait to dig w/the bomber!

jwall046 02-21-2016 09:35 AM

Does the wraith tranny mount to the bomber skid?

J.A.W - just another wraith &
a Bomber!

dbw 02-21-2016 09:36 AM

Wraith tranny is not a direct bolt in so you need a mounting plate from soneone like dmg

mikebecher 02-21-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbw (Post 5450902)
Wraith tranny is not a direct bolt in so you need a mounting plate from soneone like dmg

No, not a direct bolt-in but pretty darn close and no mounting plate required...
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ml#post5437599

mikebecher 02-26-2016 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started receiving more parts today. First up, spools, lockers and more spools...

GripFab V1 Spools
weight difference -20g
Mahalo to Rick over at GripFab for hooking me up, especially since these are out of production "thumbsup"

Weight per pair of various spools and lockers:
Attachment 337836

mikebecher 02-26-2016 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
RC4WD Ultimate Scale Shocks, 100mm
weight difference -36g
I've read varying reviews on these, but at about half the weight of stock shocks, I'll try to learn to love them.

HB Rovers
weight difference -472g
Last for today but not definitely least! These tires weigh in at only 92g apiece vs 160g for stock. Subtract a bit for narrowing and dropping the spare saves over a pound, most of it high-inertia rotating mass. This mod alone will significantly reduce the stress on the drivetrain and steering. The right foams in these will be critical since they are so flimsy.

Attachment 337837 Attachment 337838

new2rocks 02-27-2016 05:08 AM

I love the challenge you've set out for this build. The Ultimate Scalers will put you to the test on a linked rig. I would definitely recommend getting the spring assortment kit so that you can dial in the spring rates front and rear. With the 100mms, you'll need them to go in the forward-most mounting location in the back for adequate travel, which means you'll want relatively stiffer springs to hold things up. In front, you can put the 100mms in either location, which gives you another way to adjust effective stiffness of the shocks to dial things in. I look forward to seeing where you take this. "thumbsup"

mikebecher 02-28-2016 11:03 AM

Thanks for the mounting tips! I did get the spring assortment so I'll have some tuning options. I'm expecting a lot of trial and error in finding the right balance of weight, performance and strength in this build.

mikebecher 03-03-2016 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tires, Wheels and Foams, oh my!
weight difference: -513g
HB Rovers, narrowed and mounted up to Krazed Builds 2.2 Hearts CF wheels and CI Double Deuce foams weight in at 118g each. Stock wheels, tires and foam are 197g each.

This was my first attempt at narrowing tires. They came out pretty good but I think I'll keep my day job!
Attachment 338187 Attachment 338188

NitritedCarbide 03-04-2016 03:04 PM

Wasnt a fan of the RC4WD 100mm shocks... after cleaning up the flashing on cartridges and filling with oil, dampening was something left to be desired. + leaking after a 15 min run I took them off. Also not a fan of the internal spring.
Just my .02

mikebecher 03-13-2016 01:05 PM

A change in direction...

I semi-impulsively bought the Roland Rock Shop Mattzilla chasis from Josh's sweet Axialfest U4 rig. My Wraith has been trending in that direction so I'll go ahead and convert it to a full-fledged scale U4/G6 vehicle/tank. That leaves me with a perfectly good Wraith chassis and I've amassed about 80% of the parts I need for this build.

I'm done impatiently waiting for the Bomber kit. It's way more than I need now and who knows when or if it will ever be released. I've decided to use my old Wraith chassis on this build, so it's not-a-Bomber now. :flipoff: The original goal was to build a light and capable rig just short of a comp crawler. All of the parts I've shared up to this point will still be included. I should also save some additional weight in the chassis and the trailing arms.

bilinvic 03-13-2016 01:16 PM

I was eyeing that chassis too.....it's funny how we can change our focus on projects so easy eh? I look forward to seeing your new build.

DowntownScience 03-13-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 5450948)
No, not a direct bolt-in but pretty darn close and no mounting plate required...
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ml#post5437599

I think he did use an adapter plate offered by DMG.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DowntownScience 03-13-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 5454762)
Started receiving more parts today. First up, spools, lockers and more spools...

GripFab V1 Spools
weight difference -20g
Mahalo to Rick over at GripFab for hooking me up, especially since these are out of production "thumbsup"

Weight per pair of various spools and lockers:
Attachment 337836

I'm trying to keep mine light and as stock as possible too. Where do you get those spools? Those are super light comparatively! Was going to run the HR steel but not after seeing they weigh the most! Thanks for that graphic. Very helpful.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mikebecher 03-13-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownScience (Post 5465044)
I'm trying to keep mine light and as stock as possible too. Where do you get those spools? Those are super light comparatively! Was going to run the HR steel but not after seeing they weigh the most! Thanks for that graphic. Very helpful.

The GripFab version 1 spools are no longer being made. I got lucky and found these through the classifieds. The Hot Racing ones are only a bit heavier and available from various vendors, I got mine on Amazon.

mikebecher 03-13-2016 11:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished the wheels using Shifts hubs from Lattice Innovations and Team KNK Hardware.
All the links have arrived from Blue Monkey. I think I like these even better than the Vanquish links, especially the steering and lowers. These will add some weight but there's no way stock links will last.

Attachment 338958 Attachment 338959

Robbob 03-14-2016 04:09 PM

Dang those wheels look Sexy! "thumbsup"

Cant wait to see it all come together.

smaxwilson 03-20-2016 06:02 PM

Re: Levior - Becher's not-a-Bomber Build

Nice choice of tires. I am looking at the same

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk