Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber Drive Train starts locking and stalls when Throttle is given.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2024, 04:52 PM   #1

Default Bomber Drive Train starts locking and stalls when Throttle is given.

My Bomber runs fine for some time then the drive train starts locking up. Not sure what the issue is. I replaced shafts to aftermarket steel and after some drive time it will bind and stop in place. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Ryan
LiPoArticulatorRR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2024, 07:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber Drive Train starts locking and stalls when Throttle is given.

Just to clarify, you cant roll/push the rig by hand after this happens?

If you can roll it my first thought is worn brushes if its a brushed motor. That can make the motor cut out at times and work other times. Though nothing would be binding in that scenario. I did this to my Wraith when I was new to the hobby, geared it too high and chewed up a motor.

If it is binding my fist step would be disconnecting the driveshafts from the transmission and spinning both axles and then the transmission to feel for any binding.

When this happens you could also feel around for heat. Heat would be a sign that a bearing has no grease or a motor is getting too hot. If something gets hot enough it could expand although I'm not sure where this could actually cause binding. This would be more of a thing with faster rigs but you can get there with rigs like this and a big pinion.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-04-2024 at 07:34 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber Drive Train starts locking and stalls when Throttle is given.

Are you saying that the binding began AFTER the shaft replacement?

Swap back, test again if that's the case.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A bit more info, or a clearer description of what's occurring would help us help you. From what it sounds like you're describing it could be just about anything in the drive train.

Does it happen under steering input or going straight? Suspension compressed or extended? What gets it running again temporarily?

Or, I live in North County (Escondido). Bring it over to my house and we'll straighten it out.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Are you saying that the binding began AFTER the shaft replacement?

Swap back, test again if that's the case.
^^^^ 100% this. Some of the aftermarket driveshafts are just terrible.

It's also possible when replacing the driveshafts, if there were shims on the outside of the diffs, they're no longer appropriate for the driveshaft to input shafts, and the pinion is trying to climb the ring gear and pushing in/out...
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

sounds like a bad pinion bearing also the locker carrier bearing could cause this
also I've had junk suck inside the motor that act like this sometimes
also a stuck brush in the motor like Humboldt sead this is actually pretty common
also if you have a bad connection somewhere maybe a battery plug or motor wire Isent making a solid connection it would act like that too
also ?
also
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

Bomber Drive Train starts locking and stalls when Throttle is given. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drive train bamaboy1992 General Crawlers 2 09-17-2011 08:14 PM
drive train for 1.55 crawlinnTN General Crawlers 5 05-28-2010 01:12 PM
Center'd Drive Train orange-appeal Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 02-25-2010 06:19 PM