Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Lv-eg's Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lv-eg's Bomber

So I've never done a build thread. I'm horrible about taking pictures of my progress. I usually get in the zone, and forget about the world around me. Well I had some issues last night, so I thought I would start a thread on it and see what everyone thought happened.... Ill start with the parts list and go from there...

VP Wraith length Currie RockJocks

VP Knuckles

VP Chubs

wraith length BMRC trailing arms

Steel links (Just bought some 3/16 titanium rod gonna try and make some links)

Axial HD Motor mount

HD Bevel gears

HR Spools

JR 8711 Servo

Gearhead CAC delrin ez-lock's

Voodoo u4's

CI Double Deuces

Junfac front drive shaft

MIP rear drive shaft

UCFAB sway bar

The Motor and ESC were suppose to be short term, till I got the pinion I needed for my motor to run the mamba monster X...

Holmes BRXL

Holmes Crawlmaster 13T

Well I finally got everything together. I tested it out in the shop. When I plugged it in it was making a really weird noise. So I did some reading on holmes site and it said turn off Holmes hold. I tried it, and walah! Everything was working great. So I took it out front of the house to my little test course. climbed over a couple rocks and she stopped? With a puzzled look on my face I pulled the trigger a couple times and nothing... I gave it some reverse and she moved. And all of the sudden, SMOKE!! I popped the hood, unplugged the batterie, and took a couple steps back. The smoke had a red tint to it? I took it back into the shop and started to disassemble it again. The ESC was melted. I double, and triple checked the wiring to make sure i didn't cross something. It all looked fine.

I was running the stock pinion and spur. Has the under drive ring and pinions front and rear. I wasn't getting on it, just slow crawling

The only thing I can think of is there was a tiny bit of snow I ran over and maybe tires picked up a little bit and thew it on the ESC? I don't know if it was water proofed. I got it from a member on here last year. I probably only have 30 min on it. I had it in one of my class 2's.

Anybody have any Ideas?

Last edited by lv-eg; 04-29-2016 at 05:50 PM.
lv-eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Lv-eg's Bomber

It was the br-xl that smoked? I had something almost exactly like this happen to the stock ae-5 esc the other day. Mine took a small backwards tumble and I righted it. Then it wouldn't go forward, moved a couple inches in reverse, then blew smoke. Melted esc. I replaced it with another ae-5 and have run one 2s pack through it, seems to be fine now. The br-xl and the ae-5 are supposed to be "waterproof"

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
bigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Lv-eg's Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbody View Post
It was the br-xl that smoked? I had something almost exactly like this happen to the stock ae-5 esc the other day. Mine took a small backwards tumble and I righted it. Then it wouldn't go forward, moved a couple inches in reverse, then blew smoke. Melted esc. I replaced it with another ae-5 and have run one 2s pack through it, seems to be fine now. The br-xl and the ae-5 are supposed to be "waterproof"

Yeah that's exactly what mine did. I climbed over a 1.5' Rock and came down the other side, it bounced a little and then it wouldn't move. Moved a few inches back and started to smoke. The smoke had a reddish tint to it.
So it couldn't have been the snow?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have very limited experience but I would guess it's not a water issue. I was thinking it was the shock from falling over. It's funny 2 different brands of esc did the same thing. I know electronics are sensitive but I'm on my 3rd servo and this is esc #2

Old 04-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbody View Post
I have very limited experience but I would guess it's not a water issue. I was thinking it was the shock from falling over. It's funny 2 different brands of esc did the same thing. I know electronics are sensitive but I'm on my 3rd servo and this is esc #2

Mine didn't really tumble or roll or any thing violent the belly bounced on the rocks a couple times while it was coming down...
Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I guess my first thought would be to call customer service on that esc. Holmes seems to have a good reputation around here. I figured the axial stuff is cheap so I didn't waste the time. Maybe somebody else has better advice, but it's a start

Old 04-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I'll have to give that a try and see what they have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The mamba monster X says that it's water proof. I've never conformal coated anything. I opened up the case and from what Ive read it looks like it has a conformal coating on it? It looks shiny. Do I need to do anything to it? Is it actually water proof or just resistant. It doesn't look like I can pull it apart from the bottom half of the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk