Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Advice from those in the know

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Default Advice from those in the know

Hello. I am not new to RC and have been enjoying the hobby for the last ten years off and on. All previous vehicles have been for backyard bashing and nothing too serious. As I get older and once again return to the hobby, my mind goes to the thought of gatherings/events and the possibility of attending. For the longest time, all I wanted was a SCX10 and the concept of scale looks and crawling. Now, I made the mistake of researching the RR10 Bomber and I see that is sort of a "dual role" type vehicle capable of backyard speeds and also crawling. Am I correct in this statement? This vehicle looks scale as well and looks like a bunch of fun. Without starting a "which one is best?" or "which one should I get?" type post, I just want to pick your brains and see what was the thing that pushed you over the edge and made you just have to have a Bomber? I'm not a guy that buys both so making a decision for me is agonizing. I just wanted to hear some pros and cons from those that own one and actually run one. Maybe just hearing what you all love about it may put me over the edge and help me pull the trigger. I know the choice is ultimately mine alone but just wanted to get some opinions about this vehicle. Thanks for your time and your two cents. I appreciate any and all feedback you may offer.
SCX10Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Advice from those in the know

My tipping point was terrain and I wanted something that would go anywhere. It's extremely rugged and overgrown where I live so a 1.9 was just not going to cut it for me, especially for my first rig. I started out with a Wraith but shortly thereafter the Bomber was released and I had to have one. It's now my favorite rig and I think it has the perfect blend of scale looks and capability.

One very important thing to look at, especially if you want to attend events and comps, is what's popular in your area. I was nearly the only 2.2 rig at the RECON G6 last year on Oahu because everyone over there runs 1.9. If I lived on that island I'd probably do the same but it's also completely different terrain. Some places will have you searching for terrain to challenge a 2.2 rig. For me it's the norm and I specifically chase down the most difficult areas I can find.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I went from a Yeti to a Bomber for a couple of reasons. I got tired of dealing with the shortfalls of the Yeti IFS front end and wanted a solid axle as (in my opinion) can be built far stronger. The Bomber tends to be far more capable and much more versatile than the Yeti. Some folks use their Bombers as dedicated rock crawlers, so they run shorter trailing arms than stock to bring that back end further toward the skid for a better balance and breakover angle. Others (myself included) set their Bombers up as more/less dedicated rock race/high speed/go fast rig.
But as you mentioned,they are great dual purpose rigs...with just a few key upgrades and a good sensored motor system, the bomber can scoot around a rock race track one afternoon, then hit the technical rocks and trails.

If I was to have only one rig, it would be a Bomber.

gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My first real rc was the scx10 deadbolt. Bomber wasn't an option then. Its now my 1.9 comp rig and very capable, but slow.

Then I got a bomber. It's so much fun. Seriously ill be giggling like a little school girl, doing back flips off a rock. Meanwhile all my running buddies think I'm nuts.

If I had to choose one or the other. It would probably be the bomber. Knock on wood, it's been pretty reliable too. I did get the kit though. It's my first brushless sensored setup. Man oh man, I waited too long. My scx10 will be getting it sooner than later. 😂

Mikebecher is right, get a rig that fits the group in your area. Luckily for me, my group has plenty of both.

I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle.
Build either one to your liking.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I am totally new to RC cars. I bought a Bomber first and dumped a bunch of money into it. I love it. it's basically like driving a small tubular monster off road crawler... obviously. It's fun to look for challenges.

Then I wanted a second car and wanted to get a 1.9 for the differences. So I picked up the SCX10 II. It is the equivalent of driving a street legal 4x4 off the pavement and onto a trail. You have to plan approach angles and watch the back end drag. And of course, don't tip it over... That would be an expensive fix for your beefed up pimped out daily driver.

In both cases, I enjoy technical crawling. Neither car is a basher for me. If I am crawling on obstacles or at a play spot, I prefer my Bomber. It is far more capable. If I am hiking a trail or have a destination, I prefer my SCX10 II. Weird; but, I enjoy them both in totally separate settings. What kind of driving do you want to do?

I mentioned this in another spot on this forum... I have had a few friends stop by the house this past week and we drove the cars. Unanimously everyone preferred the SCX10 II. They all loved how realistic it is.

My Bomber is much more capable. My SCX10 II is just really cool. I will eventually put a brushless set-up in the Bomber. I will keep a brushed 35t in my SCX

Last edited by powder4breakfast; 09-10-2016 at 12:04 AM.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

I will have to look around my area and see what groups are available. If not, I thought about starting my own.�� my big problem is I see the merits of both vehicles. SCX10=driving like a real vehicle and going for the technical approach. Bomber=crawling with a little more speed and power plus speed runs. Well,...i guess my decision making process continues. Love to hear from more of you if you want to add anything. Thanks.
SCX10Newb is offline   Reply With Quote

Advice from those in the know - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice? M0D3RN C0WB0Y Electronics 0 08-18-2012 10:23 PM
New, need advice redheadedwonder Newbie General 12 02-25-2011 08:10 PM
need some help/advice krono7s General Crawlers 4 11-29-2010 05:12 PM
new to rc looking for advice PLEASE!!! newtorcguy Newbie General 0 11-26-2010 02:36 AM
need advice.. mcreil41 General Scale Talk 1 12-08-2009 11:00 AM