Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: MMX Roc412 3100kv cogging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MMX Roc412 3100kv cogging

So,,,,, I bit the bullet and picked up a MMX and a Roc412 3100kv instead of the 2300kv thinking I could dial it back in the ESC settings if it was too much.

Initially was going to run the internal bec, but found out my pico switch for my lights is only rated to 5.5 volts so had to throw in my castle BEC10. Hated to do that as the wiring nice and clean using the internal.

My nice relaxing crawler has now been transformed into a twitchy U4 racer which is cool, but would like to get my slow crawling back also.

I'm getting some cogging at slow/start up technical crawling. Seems worse when I have my drag brake switched to 100% ( Love the ability to change via MMX )

3s 2200 25c battery

MMX settings:
medium start power
smartsense (brushless)
20% punch
Crawler reverse

Bomber gearing:
UD rear HD front stock
Stock pinion and spur gear

Did I mention it is a royal PIA to remove ESC connection from receiver every time to update via castle link? I know they make a "quick connect" but I don't have one on hand.
Fj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: MMX Roc412 3100kv cogging

Tried recalibrating everything?

Also, A good trick instead of their quick connect, Is get yourself a 3" servo extention.. Cut the red wire on the Extension. Plug it in between your ESC and Rx, Keeping you from molesting the ESC wire when using a BEC, Also is many times easier to access the connection for programming, than getting to your actual Rx
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have a ton of experience with brushless sensored systems... I would say try a different sensor cable.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Was planning on adding extension next time I went in to change settings until I get it dialed in.
I'll try re-calibrating along with checking sensor connections and gear mesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
Tried recalibrating everything?

Also, A good trick instead of their quick connect, Is get yourself a 3" servo extention.. Cut the red wire on the Extension. Plug it in between your ESC and Rx, Keeping you from molesting the ESC wire when using a BEC, Also is many times easier to access the connection for programming, than getting to your actual Rx
Old 07-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I have a ton of experience with brushless sensored systems... I would say try a different sensor cable.
Unfortunately, do not have a spare on hand.
I'll place an order for another Castle cable and I guess another from Tekin for the motor side if I do not get it sorted out.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you need a sensor cable look at the one holmes sells. After using one of his I will never use anything else. It seems more flexible then others.
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Update:
New castle and Tekin sensor cables arrived today......still have cogging issues.
I also have a Holmes Hobby cable en route, but will not be here till Friday.

Before anyone says anything about my housekeeping, or lack there of....video was shot in garage. I know it's messy, but it's a garage.
Bad ESC or what else should I be looking into?

Sensor cable attached>

Sensor cable disconnected>
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I wonder if the sensor board inside the motor is faulty...I would contact Tekin and explain what you have done to try to fix the cogging.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I wonder if the sensor board inside the motor is faulty...I would contact Tekin and explain what you have done to try to fix the cogging.

I'll contact them and see what they say.

Thanks,
Old 07-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Oops, I was going to say "Take it out of smart sense mode & try sensors only" cos all of my MMP/Pro4 combos run sensor only.

But I just looked up the MMX castle link demo & sensored only isn't an option.

Definitely seems no different with sensor lead in or out so I'd suspect an issue with that rather than other settings.
But whether cable or sensor board in motor or esc is going to be annoying find out

Last edited by altd896; 07-13-2016 at 07:59 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That was the same issue with my brand new out of the box and then a single run 2300. Jiggled the sensor wire and it worked. Put pressure on the sensor cable at the motor and it worked.

Called Tekin and they were very very helpful in the the Technical part. Within a few minutes it was determined the sensor board was bad.

I won't go into details but that motor doesn't exist any longer since i was not the original owner. Costs were to high to replace the board IMO under non warranty.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I have always been a RTFM kind of guy and in this case it bit me in the a$$.

What's wrong with these pictures?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

the white wire on the sensor harness is shown in 2 conflicting places..and seems to change places when it gets to the plug....so which side is correct? the diagram in the instructions or the sticker on the esc? lol
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
the white wire on the sensor harness is shown in 2 conflicting places..and seems to change places when it gets to the plug....so which side is correct? the diagram in the instructions or the sticker on the esc? lol
Manual is wrong....Sticker is correct.
Can't tell you how many times I over looked the sticker updating settings on ESC.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fj62 View Post
Manual is wrong....Sticker is correct.
Can't tell you how many times I over looked the sticker updating settings on ESC.
That's total HS as you would be to blame if something blew up. Your frustrations if you have any are 100% valid. This is the first thread I have read with this issue on the MMx so it's strange to see this.

Besides the sensor wire on the manual vs sticker, somehow the white wire switches pins at the motor harness.

So in the end is it now working?
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #16
RCC Addict

That stupid little crossover cable pissed me off. That is just one of those little "lets make them spend a few more dollars" schemes. A whole new sensor plug design I would have been ok with, as maybe it would signal that we are going to get a better designed sensor wire, but that one pin/wire being crossed is BS.

I think that wire being in the wrong location is your problem. I ran a MMX and 3100kv Roc 412 for a while with no issues. I did drop down 1 tooth on the pinion, but my Bomber is pretty heavy. I did not run punch control though.

One question...is that battery enough to get full performance out of that motor/esc?
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

That's crazy. I've built three trucks using MMXs and never even noticed the instructions being backwards on the sensor wire. Glad you figured it out, now you can enjoy your truck.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

You should definitely email that photo to Castle Creations.
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Late on update as storm rolled through yesterday and knocked out internet.

I was looking at Blkbart's RR10 Bomber kit build thread and saw his photo of his ESC mounting and it hit me.....

Plugging in sensored cable the correct way miraculously fixed cogging issue, who would have thought??

I'm now stocked up on spare sensor cables, so I guess that's a plus.

3s 2200 25c packs I have on hand from some of my r/c planes and worked fine with stock motor, but will most likely need some higher c packs to get full performance out of new motor/esc setup. I'm mainly doing slow crawling and not high speed bashing.

Sent an e-mail to Castle to let them know about the error in manual. I'll update if they reply.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice and Blkbart for his photos. Embarrassed at myself for over looking the decal on the ESC, but moving on!
Old 07-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quick update.
Castle's reply to my email:

Thank you for your e-mail and sorry for the frustrations caused by the improper diagram in the X Series Driver's Ed Guide. This error was found a few months ago and has been corrected for future printings. I apologize for any frustration or delays this may have caused and thank you again for taking the the time to alert us to this error. I hope everything is working for you now but if you have any problems or questions in the future please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

MMX Roc412 3100kv cogging - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roc412 3100kv question Scx10usmc Axial Yeti 7 12-26-2014 10:55 AM