Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Motor recommandation for hiking and trailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Default Motor recommandation for hiking and trailing

Hello!

I recently get a second hand Bomber which I love it! The purpose of this rig is to go hiking on the mountain and when I will be in shape the goal is to go running with it. A bit like the 5k (I say like because it doesn't exist here in France).

I have some technical spots so I want to keep it able to crawl. For the moment I want to stay on the budget (stay on brushed) and after that go for a brushless system. I want something simple and reliable because I will drive for long run.

For the moment it has a 2 speeds gearbox/Quicrun 1080/ HH crawlmaster 540 16t. The final speed is fine for me but as can expect the motor get hot.

So what would you recommand in the first time and then upgrade it? From what I have read I should go first for a Traxxas Titan 550 21t.

Thanks for your help and advise
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Motor recommandation for hiking and trailing

That Traxxas Titan 21t will work, or if you can get them shipped to you in France, I recommend the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t, it's a little better than the Titan, nearly as cheap.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...sport-550.html

Since you are in France, I am putting some links for sellers that are not in the USA - not sure who would be best for you to order from:

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...d=132119&pid=1

, ,(110100046) by Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 550 21T Electric Motor
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

What durok said, a 550 21t is a good choice

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t
I run mine on 3s and my bro runs his on 2s. Excellent motor and excellent price.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
That Traxxas Titan 21t will work, or if you can get them shipped to you in France, I recommend the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t, it's a little better than the Titan, nearly as cheap.

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...sport-550.html

Since you are in France, I am putting some links for sellers that are not in the USA - not sure who would be best for you to order from:

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...d=132119&pid=1

, ,(110100046) by Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 550 21T Electric Motor
Thank all of you for the quick answers.
Durok: you pointed something. Here in France and in genral in Europe it is bit find to find proper distribution for american brands. So it always mean high shipping cost and taxes for a product you can't tried or see before (because no one had it).

But for this case I am lucky: I just traded my Crawlmaster 540 16t to a Torquemaster 550 21t. And so according your advises, this motor will do the job

Regarding the purpose of this rig (hiking and running), is there a real benefit to to gor for a brushless system?
Old 08-21-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The 550-sized motor has more torque than a smaller 540, which is good for the large tires that come on the Bomber, allowing for decent wheelspeed when needed.

Being a brushed motor, it also has very good low-speed control.

If you later find that you want more speed, a good brushless system will provide nearly the same low-speed control but have a wider powerband because they can spin at a higher rpm.

This gives you the best of both worlds, low-speed control and even more wheelspeed so the top-end will be higher.

I have a 550 brushed Holmes motor and a HobbyWing 1080 ESC in my Ascender, it is great for crawling and fairly quick on 3S - but my Bomber has a Holmes brushless motor and Castle ESC that I can run 4S on and it is quite fast, and it requires less maintenance, too.

I would think you would be happy for a while with a brushed setup - some people never bother going brushless!

Last edited by durok; 08-21-2018 at 02:15 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #7

Thanks Durok!

So as I am not into comp (almost not existed here) or bashing, it is not necessary now. I'll probably go for a "big block" in the futur, but first I need to beef up some parts on it!
Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have the sport 550 in my Wraith. Got it from amain, under 25$ with shipping (no tax or customs, I'm in the EU too). Anyway, smooth and torquey enough for crawling and fast enough for jogging.

Amain is great for stuff like that, only 2$ shipping on most stuff and faster than China or HK.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have a HobbyWing brushless sensored setup in my son's Bomber. I had to replace the ESC, but I hadn't yet waterproofed it and got it a little wet. It keeps his a little slower, but the batteries last FOREVER. He's run two G6 events with it and we crawl often.

This combo in the 21.5T flavor.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...nt=27466269064

I waterproofed the motor sensor with conformal, used dielectric grease for the sensor cable connectors, and epoxied around the ESC case. So far so good. But we're careful with it.

Last edited by slowmethinks; 08-21-2018 at 08:17 PM.
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am looking for something similar for my wraith. I don't want to lose any of the speed it has on 3s with the RTR axial motor, a little more would be ok. I'd love some more low end power and control to crawl it some but I mostly want to hike and jog behind it. Maybe the man himself will see this and chime in
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I am looking for something similar for my wraith. I don't want to lose any of the speed it has on 3s with the RTR axial motor, a little more would be ok. I'd love some more low end power and control to crawl it some but I mostly want to hike and jog behind it. Maybe the man himself will see this and chime in
21t 550 is a good place to start for brushed motors.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:59 AM   #12

Hi!

To give you a feedback: I've installed the Torquemaster 550 21t motor and a 11t pinion. I drove the Bomber trough 6.5 miles of super cool singletracks.
The gear reduction was perfect when I was walking but when I start to run (yes I am slowly moving to the Scale Ultra / 5k enduro...etc) the speed was still OK but I clearly feel it was on the limit.
I have a 14t pinion; do you think the motor could handle it without smoking?
Old 09-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #13
RCC Addict

27t – 21t TrailMaster Sport 550*
30t – 21t TorqueMaster 550*
12t – 10t CrawlMaster 550*
Puller Pro BL 540 Standard, 540-L, 540 XL
TrailMaster Pro BL 540

*11 tooth pinion / 68 tooth spur advised for brushed motors to prevent overheating.
Stock gearing compatible with brushless motors.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #14

Ok so sooner or later I should go for a brushless system.
I've read alot people are using Mamba Max with mainly Tekin motors.
Any advice on other great brushless combo?
Old 09-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Hi!

To give you a feedback: I've installed the Torquemaster 550 21t motor and a 11t pinion. I drove the Bomber trough 6.5 miles of super cool singletracks.
The gear reduction was perfect when I was walking but when I start to run (yes I am slowly moving to the Scale Ultra / 5k enduro...etc) the speed was still OK but I clearly feel it was on the limit.
I have a 14t pinion; do you think the motor could handle it without smoking?
I went from an 11t to 14t on my wraith with a titan 550 24t. Had no issue on heat. Drag brake suffered, as the taller gearing made it roll easy. As far as brushless setup, get the mamba x, so you can toggle the drag brake off for high speed sections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #16

Hi!
So I've switched to a brushless system as expected because the Holmes Torquemaster Expert 550t has overheated. It was installed with a 11t pinion but after running 1.5km at almost full throttle, the motor has stopped. When it was completely cool, I've tried it again and it was working but not smoothly. This motor has a second hand and as I see it has run close to the ocean. Anyhow; I'll will give a try to a Tekin RS GEN2 with a 21.5t motor and still on 11T. I will see if it work for running
Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

If you contact HH customer service they're super and fast response...they will help you with any trouble you have with any of there product line👍
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Yea, don't chuck that motor its completely rebuild-able, you can send them in and have it done or order the parts and do it your self.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaruki View Post
If you contact HH customer service they're super and fast response...they will help you with any trouble you have with any of there product line��
I know that Holmes have a good Customer service, but the problem is I am living in France. So with shipping cost and taxes I'd rather buy a new motor. I've took it appart and change 1 bearing, clean the winding, brush holder, replace the brushes and change the 2 cables. I'll use it on another project... or use it again if I blow the Tekin

Motor recommandation for hiking and trailing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U4 1.9 shock recommandation and setting utieh U4RC 8 06-23-2016 12:36 PM
RS10XT good for R/C hiking? 2WheelFlyer Redcat Crawlers 10 03-21-2013 10:24 AM
What R/C for hiking? justadork Newbie General 23 02-07-2013 02:12 PM
went hiking today Dfrog Axial SCX-10 10 02-08-2011 04:38 PM
Need a hiking pack. mrwonderful Chit Chat 9 07-27-2006 07:14 PM