Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: SSD C-Hub and Incision CVD’s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SSD C-Hub and Incision CVD’s

I contacted ssd but was just curious if this was a known issue that I’m just not aware of. The inner race of the C-Hub interferes with the CVD. I initially thought I could just file some of the anodizing away but quickly realized it’s not even close and I don’t think there is any way to grind it down and keep the structural integrity of the C Hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
SSD
RCC Addict

Default Re: SSD C-Hub and Incision CVD’s

No I didn't know about this. If VP have oversized their universal joints then it's not our fault really. Axial universals and VP VVDs fit fine. So do all other brands as far as I know.
So they have obviously made this new one bigger. Unfortunately this can happen when mixing different aftermarket parts.

Looking at the image you should be able to grind away some material for clearance.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
No I didn't know about this. If VP have oversized their universal joints then it's not our fault really. Axial universals and VP VVDs fit fine. So do all other brands as far as I know.
So they have obviously made this new one bigger. Unfortunately this can happen when mixing different aftermarket parts.

Looking at the image you should be able to grind away some material for clearance.

Not your fault at all. I was just curious if this was something documented. The joint is definitely bigger on these than the axial cvd’s. I already started grinding a little on the inner race so I’ll just keep going and see if I can make it work. Thanks for the response. Love your presence on the forum.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ah, dang it.... this is the exact setup I have for one of the two Bomber builds I thought I was done buying parts for.

Both of mine are all SSD C-hubs and knuckles, and the one that is also using SSD aluminum diamond axle housings was going to have the Incision CVD's installed.

At least I now know in advance of trying to force them to work with each other.

Now what the hell am I gonna get?

They need to fit SSD Pro C-Hubs and either the Pro knuckles or the HD knuckles - I have one set of each - and they need to be able to deal with a Holmes PP 4100kv R-type motor without costing me an arm and a leg!

I hate returning stuff, and I don't have the tools to mod metal.

I'm using the stock kit Axial CVD's on the other build with a Holmes Revolver 1800kv, they should hold up fine...

EDIT:

Looks like my 2 options are either:

Vanquish Products RCV Licensed VVD Axle Shafts for Axial AR60 Axles

"Large 8x15x5mm inner bearing (included) increases strength over stock 10x15x4 bearing
6mm stub axle increases the strength through the pin on the stub axle, uses a 5mm threaded stub (requires 8mm nut driver)
Aluminum 12mm hexes are included to fit with 6mm stub, hex pins also included
6x11x4 bearings included for outer knuckle bearing
"

or:

Vanquish Products VXD Universal Axle Package

"5mm Stub Shaft Design*
Squared Locker Engagement Design - Features higher cross sectional area engagement for increased strength
Chromoly Spool is included and required for use with these axles
12mm Clamping Hexes with 5mm thru bore
*5mm stub shaft requires the use of an 8mm driver to tighten the included lock nut. Many 8mm drivers have too large of an outside diameter to fit into many wheels. Some wheels / hubs may require drilling for the 5mm stub shafts to fit.
"

The 2nd option is much more expensive, which is understandable as it includes not only special wheel hexes but also wheel nuts and a spool - but I already have fany spools, hexes, and wheel nuts. Dammit!

I also don't want to possibly need to mod wheels for the stub shafts, as I have 3 sets of wheels that I plan on swapping on and of the Bomber.

This is as annoying as all get out.

Sounds like the first option is the way to go, hope the oversized parts on them don't also cause an issue...

EDIT #2:

Or, what if the Axial Aluminum upgrade C-Hub part # AX30762 was used with SSD knuckles? Probably best with the SSD HD knuckles (instead of the Pro)?

They should be compatible with each other, as they are stock replacements... (?)

(My apologies - I'm delirious from lack of sleep - going to quit here, for the night)

Last edited by durok; 03-01-2018 at 12:01 AM.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 AM   #5
SSD
RCC Addict

SSD knuckles should be fine on Axial C hubs.

But you dont know if the VP joints clear the Axial C hubs.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
SSD knuckles should be fine on Axial C hubs.

But you dont know if the VP joints clear the Axial C hubs.
Now that I've slept a bit - this all makes more sense!

I'll test fit on my plastic Axial C-hubs, with your knuckles - then order the aluminum Axial upgrade if it fits.

Thanks for your response, SSD...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Now that I've slept a bit - this all makes more sense!

I'll test fit on my plastic Axial C-hubs, with your knuckles - then order the aluminum Axial upgrade if it fits.

Thanks for your response, SSD...

Plastic c-hubs work fine. I started grinding more today and never came close to getting the cvd’s to fit. I’ll probably eventually just buy the VP clamping C-hub and be done with it. That was the original plan but liked the scale SSD knuckles much better so went with ssd for both. If only they made CVD’s.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

What's the o.d. of the joint?

edit: It may save you some trouble, my VP clamping c-hubs have 0.605" between the insides of the ears. I'd still like to know how big the shafts/joints on the axles are though.

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 03-01-2018 at 08:44 PM.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Zombie thread revival: I wanted to update to say that the Incision VDI shafts are .530" at the joint compared to the Axial Universals at .491" at the joint, or: the Incision VDI's are 1mm larger. The shafts don't neck down, but they still clear my beeftubes and link mount screws just fine. The tangs that go into the spool are slightly longer too so they have more engagement. The stub shafts are about 4mm shorter though, so if you have a setup that requires wider than stock wheel hexes, that could pose a problem... no problem with SLW hubs. My Axial universals lasted WAY longer than they should have (4 years running brushless on 4s with clearanced yokes for more steering angle) so I would still totally recommend them, but the VDI universals certainly *should* be even more durable. I plan to clearance the yokes on the VDI's when I've got some more time. I'll update here if/when break them.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD C-Hub and Incision CVD’s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ssd d60 axles and locked up cvd problem Honcho907 Axial SCX-10 14 11-07-2017 07:38 AM
SSD C-hubs/Knuckles and Locked Up CVD DanielR Axial SCX-10 3 05-22-2017 08:18 PM
Incision 2.2 Method Hub Offset ??? Deadbydawn Axial Yeti 0 01-10-2017 09:09 PM
SSD knuckle and c-hub questions dpcardoza Axial SCX-10 2 03-30-2016 10:28 AM
Hub offset with SSD wide axle? amped up Axial Yeti 3 01-06-2016 03:10 PM