Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scx10 shocks

I am upgrading my ax 10 to an scx10 and wondering what shocks to get. my ax 10 stock shocks were junk. i dont know the durability and quality of scx shocks or what should i get otherwise. dont want to run droop. durability is key. thanks in advance
aircooled67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I'm more impressed with the stock scx shocks than the stock ax shocks. So far they're doing pretty well, though I've only put 2 packs through it. Any reasonably small diameter 90mm (3.5") shocks will work as replacements. Check out JP Custom RC's, they have some decent shocks.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

while building my scx i was discouraged by the quality of the shocks. it was at that point that i completely stopped bulding my truck,the biggest turn off was the screws which i was replacing with allen head , i havent touched it in 2 weeks
fperez0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperez0209 View Post
while building my scx i was discouraged by the quality of the shocks. it was at that point that i completely stopped bulding my truck,the biggest turn off was the screws which i was replacing with allen head , i havent touched it in 2 weeks
They're plastic shocks, and yes that sucks, but it's a freaking scaler! It works great and it's a blast to drive. Seriously, I couldn't be any happier about my SCX. Well, I'll be happier when I'm done building bumpers for it, waterproofing it, making an interior, and maybe adding a few more scale touches...

Find me a better off the shelf scaler for the same money and I'll buy it. Cheezy plastic shocks aren't enough to keep me from having fun with my toy truck
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
They're plastic shocks, and yes that sucks, but it's a freaking scaler! It works great and it's a blast to drive. Seriously, I couldn't be any happier about my SCX. Well, I'll be happier when I'm done building bumpers for it, waterproofing it, making an interior, and maybe adding a few more scale touches...

Find me a better off the shelf scaler for the same money and I'll buy it. Cheezy plastic shocks aren't enough to keep me from having fun with my toy truck
i agree, and isnt half the fun of a scaler is finding aftermarket, one off, or custom made parts?
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
i agree, and isnt half the fun of a scaler is finding aftermarket, one off, or custom made parts?
id say that pretty much sums it up.
nothing like building your own stuff ,or finding that perfect part especially if its totally new or unique..
f-350highlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'm using traxxas xxlong (not the long) big bores and love them. The kit shocks are junk in my opinion.

speed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post

Wha? i agree with this dude^

ive built so many kits for RC i cant count them anymore....
ive seen far worse stock plastic shocks then the SCX. From what i know, the stock SCX10 shocks are sweet. Standard body, bottom cap & top. The only thing i thought was a bit wonky were the pistons but that didnt matter at all anyhow, cuz they work just the same in theory. But, then there is the dual-rate springs that make this stock shock all that much sweeter. In my experience of RCing, in alot of cases the plastic shocks are just as equal to an alloy upgraded one (not all...most...) ive seen alloy ones that fall apart, bend easily,etc... whereas the plastic ones last longer then the truck itself. lol

Stock SCX10 shocks ftw!

so stop whining, and build that sweeet scx10 buddie
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
DBR
Quarry Creeper

Common sense prevails over all. Just throw some plumbers tape on the threads and you will never doubt stock shocks again. Fold it in half, wrap three times, and no leaks to be found.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed88 View Post
I'm using traxxas xxlong (not the long) big bores and love them. The kit shocks are junk in my opinion.
Dude, send them to me. I'll make good use of them.
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

my rig takes a serious beating. the ax stock shocks only lasted a day. actually breaking the plastic. And the caps popped off. always leaked top and bottom. i bought the g made shocks for the ax and tumbled down cliff after cliff without a drop of leak. i dont think they have short enough ones for the scx. Also what length extended/ collapsed will i need. thanks- ben
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I bashed my really hard and the stock ones have held up, and they work well with the set up. I'm new to crawling but not to r/cs and have not seen much of a difference in performance between plastic and metal. Plastic gives until its breaking point while alloy bends which sucks cause sometimes you can't tell till you drive it and it rides like crap. I've broken plastic ones too but dude it's a crawler, I can't jump it like my monster trucks, I'd have to toss mine off a cliff to break it. Metal ones look rad though. I think I'm getting these
fastgixxerlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
RCC Addict

those are def rad shocks man!
what make?
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i only bought the chassis kit so no matter what i have to buy shocks, and pretty much want the best bang for the buck
Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Ya if you need shocks then go with something that looks good to you. The picture I put up are RC4WD X10 shocks and are 101mm long but should fit the SCX. Check out RPP they have a pretty wide variety of shocks.
fastgixxerlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i feel your pain. plastic shock suck... i have looked around to find a good Aluminum shock that doesn't LEAK. after ordering several different ones, i ended up with a set from GH Racing. you have to buy the top caps, shock bodies, bottom caps and have to use the stock shafts. good set of shocks.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote