Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Which SCX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #1

Default Which SCX10?

This will be my first "real" rc truck. I am really new to RC and only picked it up within this past year, starting with micro helicopters. I do not own, nor am I familiar with soldering, I would prefer to have everything built for me, and am looking at the SCX10. What is the difference between the Dingo and the Honcho? Is one better RTR than the other? How about for changing the body, which one would be easier?
jessecuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
RCC Addict

they have the same electronics and have plastic links. It basically comes down to weather you want the shorter 11.3 in wb of the dingo or the 12.3 in wb of the TR honcho
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

So then which would be easier to buy ready-made bodies for?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecuster View Post
So then which would be easier to buy ready-made bodies for?
There both just as easy. if the wb dosent fit you can make your own links
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
There both just as easy. if the wb dosent fit you can make your own links
What do you mean "make your own links"?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Both have ready made bodies available for them although the honcho has only the stock body and two jeep commanche bodies that are direct fit.

By making your own links he means making your own links to fit the wheelbase you need.

The Honcho RTR will be the better performer out of the box due to the longer wheelbase.

However this is an active hobby and you will break things and have to fix them. You can either learn how to fix them or spend a fortune having someone else do it.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Both have ready made bodies available for them although the honcho has only the stock body and two jeep commanche bodies that are direct fit.

By making your own links he means making your own links to fit the wheelbase you need.

The Honcho RTR will be the better performer out of the box due to the longer wheelbase.

However this is an active hobby and you will break things and have to fix them. You can either learn how to fix them or spend a fortune having someone else do it.
I am fine with learning how to do it, but as of now I am a clean slate, I still do not understand what making my own links means?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

links are what connect the axles to the main frame of the rc. adjusting the links make it easier to get the wheelbase you want.

alot of proline rc bodies use the shorter wheelbase.

interms of making yout own links. Go to Home Depot and buy some threaded rod in 5/16 size i believe and traxxas rod ends for a revo.

Cut the rod to length and then screw on the rod ends, they thread onto the threaded rod. And adjust by tightening or loosening.

Thats it.

I would go w/ the dingo, it comes w/ lights as the honcho doesnt i think.

And the wheelbase will be alot closer to any body you wanna put on it.
Both are available in a rtr = ready to run
artr means you have to buy the electronics usually.
aztitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

It sounds like a hassle to choose links and mess with sizes, but it will probably be the easiest upgrade/adjustment. I used cr-01 links to match the tamiya fj40 body
LJ_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

The scx10 was my first real RC, too. If I could go back I would choose the kit. I ended up changing out the esc, steering servo, and radio/RX from my TR Honcho. For sure my next RC will be a KIT.

Soldering is very easy. I had never soldered anything in my life before. All I did was look at some YouTube videos and it all made sense. I boughtt some extra wire from the hobby shop and did a few practice runs before doing anything to my FX-R. Very easy once you get the hang of it.
Serolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I have both trucks and they are almost identical except for the Honcho longer wheelbase. Both trucks share the same electronics and the Dingo have two more lights in front.

I prefer the look of the Dingo and it is easy to find bodies for both trucks. Pro-Line has some cool ones. And as mentioned earlier, you can adjust the wheelbase with longer links. It is easy, Axial has links kit for both trucks.
Sylvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #12

I have look at both of these and I like the look of the dingo wheelbase. May be a little better in the tighter small stuff, I'll probaby end up getting a dingo as well
bigt2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #13

I started with the 11.5 wheelbase truck and got the proline bronco body which is the 12.3. The other thing you can do is put a small spacer in each end of the links and it is an easier stretch than building links. If you look at my build thread you will see the spacers I used in some of the pics. It takes less than 5mins to do them and you can take them out and be right back at the shorter wheelbase.
zgray19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #14

Good post I am trying to make up my mind between the two right now as well. Leaning towards a Dingo.
winnipegk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Smile So glad this thread is here!

All I have been doing is going back and forth on which SCX10 to buy. I too like the Dingo version because the short wheelbase would I believe be better for rock crawling plus I want to build a 2dr wrangler to match my old 1:1 that I had to sell. My only question was, am I really missing out on some hidden superior performance from the 12.3" wheelbase? If so, I can always build a 4dr Rubicon or find a new bright body or something. If I'm not missing out on anything special by going with the shorter wheelbase, then my mind is made up. Also, I'm glad to hear that either wheelbase can be modified. That takes some pressure off. The Dingo version also comes stock with the 4 link truss system now, which is pretty sweet I think. I'm just getting started into scale 4x4, so I'll be posting again real soon! Thanks for the input guys!
jkabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #16

I've been looking at these as well to start a scaler. Ordered the RTR Honcho today.
Carolina Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #17

Ordered the SCX10 Dingo RTR today. Can't wait for it to arrive.
winnipegk5 is offline   Reply With Quote