Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Steering setups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Steering setups

Ok, I am still very new at all of this and dont have all the proper lingo down yet so take it easy on me please.

I am wanting to get rid of the plastic front steering links and replace them with some that I would like to make out of tubing and thread all. I have the end links(straight ones) and the thread all and the aluminum tubing. What I am unsure of is how to do it. The stock plastic cross link is bent at the ends, so will I just simply need bent end ball links, and if so which ones. What about the short link that attaches to the servo?

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated. Any website links to the proper items I may need and pics would be fantastic.

Thanks
0lllllll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

you need the 6X106mm pipe and the 6X33mm pipe plus 4 axa186 which is the threaded rods and then ax80005 and ax80032 those are the end links.
towjockeyrc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by towjockeyrc10 View Post
you need the 6X106mm pipe and the 6X33mm pipe plus 4 axa186 which is the threaded rods and then ax80005 and ax80032 those are the end links.
Thanks so much towjockey!

So I have thread all and aluminum tubing, so all I will need then is the ax80005 and the ax80032? Correct? My thread all is 6/32, will that thread into those bent end links? Or is there something else I should use?

Thanks so much
Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I used 6/32 all thread for my links as well. The steering and axle linkages are all 3mm. But the 6/32 can be made to fit. I have been able to thread the 6/32 into the rod ends before but it was hard to get started. what I did is pre drill first with a drill bit. I am not sure what size though as it is one that came with a dremel kit. it was the right size to just open up the links enough to alow the all thread to start easier. You may want to do the same. it is a paint to get 6/32 to start without doing so. Just make sure the drill bit is a little smaller then the size of the 6/32 material.

You need the angled ends for the axle or the tie rod (knuckle to knuckle) will hit the center of the axle when turning. The servo to knuckles can use strait link ends. If you are going to mount the servo to the chassi, it may change what link ends you want for the servo to axle link. But if running on the stock axle location what is listed in posts above will get you there. the drilling just makes it a little easier.

All you need is part number "AXIAX80005" it will have all of the ends needed on that one parts tree. If you need the balls that ride in the ends (you can use the stock ones) it would be part number "AXIAX80018"

Last edited by Rook82; 12-23-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
I used 6/32 all thread for my links as well. The steering and axle linkages are all 3mm. But the 6/32 can be made to fit. I have been able to thread the 6/32 into the rod ends before but it was hard to get started. what I did is pre drill first with a drill bit. I am not sure what size though as it is one that came with a dremel kit. it was the right size to just open up the links enough to alow the all thread to start easier. You may want to do the same. it is a paint to get 6/32 to start without doing so. Just make sure the drill bit is a little smaller then the size of the 6/32 material.

You need the angled ends for the axle or the tie rod (knuckle to knuckle) will hit the center of the axle when turning. The servo to knuckles can use strait link ends. If you are going to mount the servo to the chassi, it may change what link ends you want for the servo to axle link. But if running on the stock axle location what is listed in posts above will get you there. the drilling just makes it a little easier.

All you need is part number "AXIAX80005" it will have all of the ends needed on that one parts tree. If you need the balls that ride in the ends (you can use the stock ones) it would be part number "AXIAX80018"
Awesome thanks Rook82!!

I have some straight end links that I used to make a four link for the front(which I will also be making for the rear also) so I will see if those work or not, if not I will just get the above mentioned end links. What I did for the four link was tapped the new end links first with a 6/32 tap and that made it a ton easier to thread the all thread in.

Thanks again for the help folks. I will give this a go and see how it turns out. Now to order the new end links.

Ok, now that I think about it, what about getting something like these, http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/sptsta80003bk.htm could i use these, in place of the bent end links, or do you still need to use the bent end links?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
RCC Addict

i think you would still need the bent end links. Usually those aluminum knuckles are just stock style made in aluminum. The do not extend out from the axle enough to keep from needing the ofset link ends. I have not used that brand though and can not say for sure.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ok, cool! SO those are just more of an "upgrade" than an "alternative"

Thanks folks!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I mounted my servo on the frame and used the axial high clearance knuckles and they worked out the best for me with no bump steer. Just wanted to show you another way to do the steering

Black Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Very cool Black Venom, I lobe you rig awesome work! Do you have a weblink to where I can buy those links? So did the earlier SCX10's come stock with those aluminum links? I was looking through the SCX10 Picture Archive and it looks like just about every rig in there has the better upgraded links. Has that changed now. Or it that not an option on the stock Honcho(which is what I have)?

How would I achieve that setup? Or is that what the above numbers that were suggested would yield me?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Handbros CMS kit and TR supplement kit if you have the TR version. or if you want and recommended, pick up a Axial Link upgrade kit either the 11.4 or the 12.3 depending on which truck you have
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 View Post
Very cool Black Venom, I lobe you rig awesome work! Do you have a weblink to where I can buy those links? So did the earlier SCX10's come stock with those aluminum links? I was looking through the SCX10 Picture Archive and it looks like just about every rig in there has the better upgraded links. Has that changed now. Or it that not an option on the stock Honcho(which is what I have)?

How would I achieve that setup? Or is that what the above numbers that were suggested would yield me?

Thanks

The SCX-10 and Honcho in kit form come with the aluminum links. Axial's RTR versions come with plastic links.
Link upgrade kit RCP
Link upgrade RPP
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Thanks
If you have a Honcho and want to upgrade all the suspension links and steering you need the kit Rogue just posted. Thats what i did to replace all the links and go to a 4 link set up.
If you just want the steering upgrade Here is a complete one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Axial-SCX10-Rock...#ht_1664wt_907

Last edited by Black Venom; 12-24-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

You guys are so awesome! Thanks so much for all the help.

One last question, and maybe its obvious but I just dont see it. You can see in the above pic on Venoms rig, at the end of the links where the two of them connect together, how are they attached together? Is that hardware included in the AX80005 parts tree?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Venom View Post
If you have a Honcho and want to upgrade all the suspension links and steering you need the kit Rogue just posted. Thats what i did to replace all the links and go to a 4 link set up.
If you just want the steering upgrade Here is a complete one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Axial-SCX10-Rock...#ht_1664wt_907
Nice! Yo and I were typing at the same time.

Thanks for that.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

SO that link to ebay actually shows the best pic of the linkage. Is that just a spacer on between the two links?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Here is a new one with all the parts shown and cheeper than the e-bay one http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax30426-...it-p-3198.html

Last edited by Black Venom; 12-24-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You guys are so awesome! Thanks so much for all the help.

One last question, and maybe its obvious but I just dont see it. You can see in the above pic on Venoms rig, at the end of the links where the two of them connect together, how are they attached together? Is that hardware included in the AX80005 parts tree?

Thanks
Remember mine is a frame mounted steering servo. The stock servo is mounted on the axle. I made mine but if you want to buy one the Hand bros CMS steering kit mounts it on the frame.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Thanks Venom!

So it looks like there is a spacer in between the two links/