Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Some waterproof questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Some waterproof questions

Hi guys!, I have a couple of questions about running my rig in mud.

I have done a little research on here/youtube and gotten the basics of waterproofing the electronics. However before i go through the hassle of using liquid tape and all that i would like to know if i even really need to do it.

I am running a Axial Honcho:

XL-5 Waterproof ESC
Titan 21 Turn Motor
Hitec 645 MG servo
Dynamite hardcase 2s LiPo

The only time my rig is going to see water is with some mudding. I am not looking run it in 8 inches of water because that just flat out makes me nervous. So what i wanna know is if running in a little sticky mud is still going to require me to seal all my connections on my battery/ESC and any cracks on my servo? I understand that water and electronics is always a sketchy mix waterproof or not. But i am just wondering if im really at high risk with my current set up or not. Thanks!
megaherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

i've got the vxl esc from traxxas which uses almost the same case. I've run mine over the roof b4 in clean water and the only problem was that whatever direction i was going in i lost the opposite direction. ie: if i was goin forward i would lose reverse and if i was in reverse i would lose forward. get it out of the water for literally 2sec and it was back to normal (maybe the water drained?) as far as runnin in mud without sealing, the only problem i've had was when i didnt clean it good after and the mud caked in around my button and would keep it from coming all the way back out. clean it when ur done and u should be fine.
TNBiscuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I would ditch the lipo for water ventures. I hear they dislike humidity.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

never had any problems with lipo in the water.
you can put it in a plastic bag and zip tie the end.

works for me, for over 2 years now
murky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
BJK

I would just dip you servo in Plastidip and fill the receiver box with liquid tape. Why not do it its easy and don't take long. Then your covered.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

For my SCX set-up, I use the XL-5, 2075 Traxxas servo, and spektrum receiver. The 2075 servo is about as strong as the hitec and it's waterproof. For the receiver, just house it in a Slash box with a little grease between the two pieces. No need to worry about the esc. Me and my Bro both use this set-up with 7 cell packs and we might as well have boats, we're in the water so much! I also have my winch controller in a Slash box. Everything has worked fine for over a year.

My SCX is the red one

No need to fear the streams

MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
I would ditch the lipo for water ventures. I hear they dislike humidity.
I disagree.Lipo's are effectively waterproof, only bad that happens is corrosion of the metal tabs in my experiance.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Dave View Post
I disagree.Lipo's are effectively waterproof, only bad that happens is corrosion of the metal tabs in my experiance.
I agree, I've had my lipo submerged many times, and never had a problem.
flascx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Awesome guys thanks! The reason i was staying away from the liquid tape and plastic dip if possible is i have some lung issues and to use anything that has a lot of fumes i have too practically put on a biohazard suit lol. I do plan to waterproof my receiver box and it sounds like a plastic bag for my lipo is the easiest safest way for me. Once again thanks a lot guys .
megaherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

kinda along the same lines...what are some "crafty tricks" to help motors out in mud runs. i know i just gotta keep stock in brushes but anyone try a breathable cover for them. maybe i need to cut up a pair of the wifey's tights.
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote