Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Your Thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Your Thoughts

Right now I am using the stock battery plate up front and stock servo placement. I am thinking of doing the servo on the frame setup and here is where I need your help. I have searched today and are finding conflicting thoughts but if I want the frame mount servo and I am going to use the stock three link do I need a panhard bar or will I have bumpsteer? Also I want to clean up the area where I have my elects and battery placement so if I have the steering servo on the frame I am able to mount the battery lower. Do yall find have the CMS and the battery closer to the frame helpful?

Last edited by LostCrawler; 01-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.
LostCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

its helped on my rig i had it all stock an it spent a lot of time on its side an top. after i did the 2.2 upgrade it helped but still to top heavy heres how i set mine up

im runnin a small battery an im useing a extra battery pack to run my rocklights then i put all electronics in a box to keep mud an water off it all
The Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

u can also take out the spacers under the battery tray to get it lower
Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That looks pretty good. Idid do that but you can only lower that so much and then it hits the servo. I have a styrene interior and have my ESC and BEC flopping around in it. I have the stock box attached to the frame still but I can't get everything in it. I just wanted to change up things and thought about making the CMS and cutting up the battery tray and locating it lower and attaching the stuff to it.
LostCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

than ditch the battery plat an move the battery if u can
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i just used a dremel to cut a spot out of the electronics box, and added a Velcro strap.

now granted i dont use the largest battery in the world either
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCrawler View Post
Right now I am using the stock battery plate up front and stock servo placement. I am thinking of doing the servo on the frame setup and here is where I need your help. I have searched today and are finding conflicting thoughts but if I want the frame mount servo and I am going to use the stock three link do I need a panhard bar or will I have bumpsteer? ?
If you run a CMS with either the STOCK 3 link of a 4 link you will get bump steer. If you have a "parallel" 3 link with a panhard bar and your geometry is correct youll have zero bumpsteer but your axel will have some sideway movement under the frame as the panhard bar will want to move in a radius.
If you try to run a panhard bar with a 3/4 link you will bind the suspension movement because the 3/4 link is design to keep the axle centered under the frame without any lateral movement of the axle.
One thing to think about is if you run a CMS with a 3/4 linkyou will get bump steer, BUT its an RC Car. Bump steer in 1:1 is important to eliminate because it is a drivability and safety issue. IT can cause the vehicle to dart one way or another as it hits bumps in the road. In an RC Car it is barely noticable to how the car drives. I have a homemade CMS in my SCX-10 with a 4 link and dont see any issues with the steering..
Hope this helps
myth619 is offline   Reply With Quote