Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Anyone use a Dig as a FWD disconnect?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Jer
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone use a Dig as a FWD disconnect?

I am putting together a honcho one piece at a time. I got a used trans with a dig that I plan on running on the front as a disconnect sort of like a transfer case on a 1:1. Who has done this and what driveline mods would need to be done, I have the 12.3" wheelbase. I assume a set of MIP's won't work. It's my first scaler so I have no idea if it will work or not.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
I am putting together a honcho one piece at a time. I got a used trans with a dig that I plan on running on the front as a disconnect sort of like a transfer case on a 1:1. Who has done this and what driveline mods would need to be done, I have the 12.3" wheelbase. I assume a set of MIP's won't work. It's my first scaler so I have no idea if it will work or not.
I am doing the same exact thing right now. You will have to cut down both sides of the front drive shaft. The front lower links mount up fine. The problem I'm having is trying to mount the upper links because the dig is in the way. I will let you know if I come up with anything. I am thinking of making my own Rc Bros CMS kit. You could buy one of these and it should work. What tanny and dig are you using?
1supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

I attempted to use the HR dig with an axial trans. First problem was the dig is too far out and hits the upper link mount/link. Second would be the driveshaft would be on too much of an angle and bound in all positions. I gave up on the 2wd for now until I can either make up a mount to move the trans back a bit, modify the frame to let is sit further back, or put the motor and trans up front and run a seperate transfer case.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Just so you know doing this will not make it perform any different mainly cause the front axle is still locked. All you will end up doing is have a rig that turns even worse because the rig will be trying to push the frontend around instead of it pulling itself around. Just something to think about.
Bigpopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Jer
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpopa View Post
Just so you know doing this will not make it perform any different mainly cause the front axle is still locked. All you will end up doing is have a rig that turns even worse because the rig will be trying to push the frontend around instead of it pulling itself around. Just something to think about.
I modified the dig to freewheel or engage only , and am going to open the diff on the front
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
I modified the dig to freewheel or engage only , and am going to open the diff on the front
Ah ok yeah if you open the diff it should work then ..........
Bigpopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I ran a dig backwards. It was cool for about 10 minutes..... Crawler burnouts get old quick
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote