Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: TSS SSD RPP "SSD10" Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Exclamation TSS SSD RPP "SSD10" Build

Been very lucky to meet some great folks in this hobby over the years, teamed up with a couple of them to showcase some parts, and unveil some upcoming ones

parts to get started: Kit from RPP, and hopups from SSD

manual said to start with the axles so thats just what i did
Here is all the parts that come with the SSD D60s. i love that the 4 link and 3 link mounts are included and not extra. hardware also included.

-I was very impressed with the plastic. feels like a FRP style strong plastic. very thick. there was almost no flex to the empty cases in my hand, felt strong. also was really impressed with the bite that the screw threads were getting. diggin the material for sure.
-Bearing fit was spot on, wouldnt fall out, but didnt have to be banged in either, but a nice slide fit.
-It would serve no purpose, but id love to see a scale gasket available for the diff cover. would set the scale nerd level off the charts.
-Gear mesh was VERY good. impressed with the tolerances. not an easy thing do CAD/produce/get right
-definatly looking forward to doing some silver scale hardware on the diff cover
-i was very impressed over all with all the fit and tolerances. from the 4 link, to the more critical things like bearing caps and Cs/straight adapters. mine were a perfect slide fit with zero slop, and no hammering on needed.
-I wont admit how long it took me to figure out how to get the rear axles in and where the bearing went....
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TSS SSD RPP "SSD10" Build

There will be a TSS chassis involved in this build, right?

I have one ready to be installed with my SSD axles.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm liking those rims,and looks like it's going to be a cool build..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Wow Cory. That is nice set of parts, Looks fun. I'm sure you will something sweet
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

As an owner and fan of the TSS chassis...subscribed.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Bring the pain! We want updates!!!!!!!!
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

got the lower link put together. i really like these, the Titanium is much harder and stronger than the aluminum and wont gouge, snag, or bend over rocks
the rod ends have a good feel to them, seem pretty stiff, they also include one extra which is nice! includes metal ball ends already installed instead of the axial plastic balls. etched logo is a nice touch. these are listed as 92mm, but are a direct replacement for the axial 98mm since the SSD rod ends are longer. you can also see the extra beef on the rod ends.

shocks built and lower links installed on axles. also showing the CMS kit and tierod kit ill be installing next.

trans/skid built. nothing fancy here

SSD Tierod kit. bent to clear pumpkin for extreme turning angle clearance. also includes and extra rod end. Includes servo to knuckle link and all mount hardware too.

chassis assembly next
Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Links are sick. Dig the etching, SSD has some serious class
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Let's see that new chassis with the SSD sickness under it
Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I know why Cory hasn't posted on his build thread. He is to busy packing up my version 3 frame rails to do anything else
Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Got the frame built

SSD CMS installed. Fit really well as usual.

one thing I noticed, that I really liked was the hardened 10.9 hardware SSD included with the kit. really nice addition for longevity.

axles on! using SSD Titanium links everywhere (uppers coming)

the aluminum CMS/frame brace makes for a really rigid frame mount with the threads going into metal instead of plastic. All the links look and fit really well.

The SSD CMS kit includes a really nice CNC aluminum 3rd lnk/panhard mount for the axial axles. However since im using SSD axles I used the included mount that's a molded perfect fit for them. using 3 screws to attach and REALLY solid mount and fit.
I couldn't get the SSD rod end ball to fit in the upper panhard/servo mount, so I swaped out to a axial rod end with the plastic ball to get it squeezed in there. added a spacer to make up for the rod end length difference. if you look real close you can just see more 10.9 hardened hardware at that upper panhard mount

lower links

etching

more parts to come soon

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 10-03-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Very nice build so far! "Thumbsup"
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Looking nice so far....Can you tell me the size of that upper pan-hard link i need to make one,I could probably figure it out but i thought you could speed up the process for me....
Old 10-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
~THE SCALE SHOP~

next up Beadlocks, SSD 1.9 steelies

these have a nice ridge on the outer hoop that helps center it and hold it straight for assembly. ive also read somewhere that if you drill out the mount holes to 1/8" that these are VP SLW compatible, but I haven't tried it yet to confirm.

Assembled! man these things go together easy. infact I timed myself on the second one. from the package to mounted in 4 minutes. I thought I would need a long screw and a bunch of squeezing to get these started, but neither was the case. they go right together super easy.
be sure to check all the outer scale bolts, mine all needed a 1/4 turn to make tight enough to keep them from loosening with use. nice thing is SSD actually includes extras of these
on the last wheel out of curiousity I tried a PL TSL XL, but as usual it didn't like the fat triangle bead of the prolines. a known problem with any beadlock.

also installed the SSD scale hubs. FYI the axial plastic hubs don't fit. but who would want them, the SSD hubs are super scale in looks AND SIZE. due to them being short for proper scale size, youll need need to either run a wider hex or shorten the axle stub threads to get them to go all the way on. here I just put the axle nut on, and then the hub for time being.

shes a roller!
I gotta say, the fit, finish, style, assembly, price, and scale factor of these wheels all get top marks I would add some scale lugs, but that goes with any wheel. love the look!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Looking nice so far....Can you tell me the size of that upper pan-hard link i need to make one,I could probably figure it out but i thought you could speed up the process for me....
Never mine I figured it out....
Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Curious you found the SSD wheels didnt work with the Proline bead. A few reviews on RPP said it worked and mine are arriving this week to try out on the bead. Was it just being stubborn or a no go?

Great build. I may have to get some of their Ti links. I'd especially like a tierod for a XR10 modded SCX10 axle, I keep destroying the allthread ones I made.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #17
SSD
RCC Addict

From what I have read, the Proline 1.9 XL tires have a different bead to none XL tires. So the Proline 1.9 normal (non XL) tires fit SSD wheels easily.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
From what I have read, the Proline 1.9 XL tires have a different bead to none XL tires. So the Proline 1.9 normal (non XL) tires fit SSD wheels easily.
Interesting. My SSD wheels show up Saturday so I'll be giving it a go with my TSL XL's. If they dont work well I'll just swap my Pits on them and throw the XL's on the Axial beadlocks. Thanks for making such a sick product at a great price
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Have you got some SSD driveshafts on the shopping list for this ? I know the SCX aren't out yet , only Yeti and Wraith, but they look pretty damn good.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
~THE SCALE SHOP~

definatly interested in those when they come out! they look great.