Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: honcho pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default honcho pictures

with some upgrades.
hitec 645mg servo with alum servo horn
level 3 rc steering link
new honcho body
cut the roll cage
4 link frout and rear
what should i get next? any good tips or tricks i should do? what upgrades do i need?
honcho
turbocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

The flat bed looks great. Does it compromise the strength and support of the body much though? That's one thing that has kept me from doing that.

Any particular reason you have those lead weights up on the chassis? Are your front wheels weighted? If not take that off and wrap it around the inside of the wheels and it'll help your center of gravity.

How are you liking the flat irons? You could do some trimming to open the tread up a bit and get better bite.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

the strength is the same i dont see a different, i put the weights there just for now we had a little scale comp in going to put them in the wheel. i like the flat irons the decent.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
NJK
Quarry Creeper

Change the drive shafts they snap real easy and upgrade your esc,motor,recever.Oh and change your links too metal cuz the plastic ones will bend wen your in a bind.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

whats a good motor and esc? is the xl-5 good?
thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
NJK
Quarry Creeper

Im running a holmes hobbies 35t And a torque master esc that i got from a friend and it has alot of torque and it is very strong. But i heard that the novak rooster esc is good too.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

yea i like the torque master,
Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk View Post
Im running a holmes hobbies 35t And a torque master esc that i got from a friend and it has alot of torque and it is very strong. But i heard that the novak rooster esc is good too.
noah its a 7t puller not a 35t...

but.. turbocrawler... the holmes stuff is absolutly top notch
im currently running the homles 35t motor and its got to be the best motor ive run yet... i recomend changing all the electronics, and i mean all of them due to the fact that everything axial makes that requires electricity is absolute junk.

futaba makes good radios at a reasonable price.
futaba also make baddass servos. pretty pricey but worth it
as for the esc goes the holmes br/xl torque master is an absolute beast. it has no motor limit and is good for 6s lipo.. not that ud use that on a honcho...
hope this helps.
and the biggest upgrade you can do for your honcho will be to make metal links and upgrade to MIP drive shafts.

enjoy!!
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #9
NJK
Quarry Creeper

Hahaha ya 7 puller i for got wat u told me it was today. N ya change the recever exspesually cuz it keeps on giving me problems.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

ya thanks for the help. anything else i should get?
thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Summit trans FTW
bro_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Default update on the honcho

got a xl-5 esc for $15 good deal. whats a good body

Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=turbocrawler;3171630]with some upgrades.
hitec 645mg servo with alum servo horn
level 3 rc steering link
new honcho body
cut the roll cage
4 link frout and rear
what should i get next? any good tips or tricks i should do? what upgrades do i need?
honcho

Hey where did you get the weight in the front idea?

VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

As far as upgrades go now seeing you have an XL-5...you have to realize there's no drag brake or LVC unless you run the new XL-5's.

But hey for $15 that's a steal to put on another rig.

I would have went with the new Castle V2 Sidewinder and waterproofed it myself. You can then use the Castle Link and setup drag brake, instant reverse, and several other settings. The price point dropped to around $65 new so not a bad deal at all. Plus you can run it uncensored brushless if you choose to for on road or off road.

After upgrading ESC's, you're going to want a Castle BEC and program it via the Castle Link as well so that you get the max out of your servo. On a 645MG I'd put it at 6.0V.

After you have programmed a good electronic setup you'd want to upgrade motors. The Axial 27T is still great on 3S...I'd run it til it fries but it just lacks the torque I want. I run Holmes Hobbies handwound 35T. Night and day difference! Of course Brood makes good handwound motors as well.

With more power and torque you're going to need new drive lines. I've had the best luck with MIP's. Junfac's just pop out every chance they get when I really hammer down on the rocks and mud...and yes I use blue loctite. The MIP's never came loose.

Eventually you'd want to upgrade the knuckles and c hubs to aluminum. Go Axial clockable C's to get more caster and either get Axial high steers or for a little more VP zero ackerman high steers.

After that you'd probably want CVD's....get Axial's and buy a few back up pins from Gunnar on here.

Next up upgrade the tranny gears. Robinson Racing all the way steel gears! Idler and output...drive gear I've had no issues with even running a 9 pound scaler. I haven't had issues with the plastic tranny case either so until that breaks apart I won't upgrade that just yet.

If you're doing a lot of water runs make sure to pack your axles with a ton of white lithium grease and close them up so they seep out a bit. Then reinstall. You don't want mud packed into the axle and seize them up.

That's about really all you need after seeing what you currently have done already.

Aluminum wheels are nice but not necessary. I run the stock Axial wheels every now and then when I go mudding and have yet to strip them.

Good luck! The SCX10 has a ton of aftermarket parts and custom one off parts from several vendors on here!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

my honcho came with the new axial/castle esc i did program, and it is the waterproof xl-5. idk if im going to leave the xl-5 in. i like the drag break alot. i had my esc in a ballon. whats good tire for water? i kinda like the tekin 35t brushed, i getting the mips this week. thanks for the help
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Default did some runs in the backyard

Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Turbo crawler dont get the tekin 35 turn.... I got a tekin 35 turn hand wound a couple months ago 65.00 might as well have bought an axial green can 27turn motor....... If your upgrading motors get a rebuildable hand wound holmes hobbies 35 turn or less. Get the water proof holmes hobbies speed control (its made by castle) and fully adjustable. You can upgrade as needed. Get a spectrum or futaba radio as needed. PS im running the flat bed on my honcho too....... and it takes a pounding!

Last edited by im gunna crawl; 07-07-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: needed to add more
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

ok thats i like the HH stuff, post a picture of ur flat bed i want ot see lol
thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Default update

waterproof everything
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #20