Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: need a bit more pewer/speed !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default need a bit more pewer/speed !

right, im running a scx10 honcho, with stock 27t motor, 87t spur 23t pinion on 7.4 5000mah lipo. i also have the interco swampers which are slightly bigger as well. now i dont want a racing machine , just a few more mph. im at a brisk walking speed at best.
i currently have the traxxas xl5 esc, and was wondering if i got a BEC and ran 3s would i get more speed/power ?
also would a smaller mah 3s have the same run time as a 5000mah 2s ?
i want a bit of wheel speed for when you need that burst for gaps etc and for when im up the quarry................................
ideally i would like roughly wraith speed or slightly less.

thanks in advance guys

Last edited by crazee horse; 08-08-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added a few bits
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Im running the stock AE-2 with a 3s 1300mah LiPo with no issues. Im also running the 27t Stock motor and I would say Im def happy with its wheel speed. Like you said for the small gaps where you can get your wheels over and stuff. My Honcho runs great with the 3s and gets long run times. Never really timed it but I would say easily anywhere from 25 to 35 minutes of driving. Im not sure right now what my run time is since I added weight to my wheels but it doesnt seem to slow it down or effect its performance in the slightest.

Dont quote me but I think you can run the XL-5 with a 3s LiPo (the newer XL-5 have LVC) so I think they would be ok. But again dont quote me, I know I run 2s LiPos on it all day with no issue. And come to think about it I have run 3s LiPos on the XL-5 in my 1/16th Rally Big Block Conversion with no issues so I would think you should be ok as long as it is a newer version with the LVC. Good luck
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply mate, what gearing are you running?
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Im running stock which I believe and I hope someone can confirm is 14/87 and it seems to run just where I would like it to be between wheel speed and torque
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

3S should get you 3-5mph more but you will have to check your temps with that gearing. Probably would need something like a 19T pinion to keep temps down and get some torque back. And mAh is the same no matter what voltage, but a 3S is physically going to be heavier and bigger.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Temps seemed to be fine before I added weight to the wheels. As for the weight of the battery its actually super small and light. Its a 3s LiPo I used in my 1/16th VXL Rally KB. Very small and light, I might try the 19t pinion and see what I can get but as of now it seems ok. I just need to upgrade the steering servo because of the added weight in the wheels (4oz/per front wheel and 3oz/per rear wheel.)
Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If you want Wraith speed, you should go to the Traxxas Titan 12t motor with a 17t pinion and 87t spur. That's the setup I'm running and its got plenty of torque as well as wheel speed. It's an awesome setup IMO
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote