Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Quick questions before purchase? kits and blazers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Quick questions before purchase? kits and blazers

Hey guys.. I'll do my best to keep this to the point.. I'm looking at getting another SCX10. I've owned 2 and never ran either of them.. They were both Trail Ready's.

I'm trying to figure out what kit to get.. I'd get the honcho kit, but the new RTR's have that ae-2 esc and the 2.4ghz radio.. it's hard to pass that up for $40 or whatever the difference is..

Now.. the Dingo and the Honcho.. well.. they're ok, but not for me.. I would like to do the 80s proline blazer like I've seen done on here a couple times, even if it requires adding the dingo flares.

Which kit would be easiest to mod to make this body work?

Does the kit come with any upgrades over the RTR besides aluminum links? I know the honcho would be easiest to get the WB right for the blazer body (have a machine shop close that can shorten them for me). If the Trail ready is close to the WB of the blazer I could deal with plastic links for now..

Also random, does anyone make a plow kit (like a manufacturer, not a DIY thing)

thanks guys
kevin107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Well Im not sure what the wheelbase is for a Blazer so i wouldnt know what to tell you between Dingo or Honcho. The links are super easy to make and come out looking very proffesional too. If you have the specific dimensions on the Blazer we could help a little better.

Also like you said its hard to pass up the new AE-2 ESC (bsically a CC SideWinder) as well as the fact that my New Dingo ,just got it yesterday came with the good 2.4ghz AX-3 Radio that comes with the Wraith. Good luck, and post those dimensions for us.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

As AsIlay said, the rtr's can be good to get you started. It is less expensive right from the start. But there are a few downfalls to going that route for the Blazer body.

1. the stock Axials are either 11.4 or 12.4 (approximate) wheelbase. The Blazer body is right about 11 inches. So the wheelbase will have to be shortened. Most of the RTR's have plastic molded links that can not be shortened. On the kit versions they have metal tube links that have a rod end the screws into the ends of the links. That way to change wheelbase, you just make or buy the longer or shorter links and use the stock rod ends. You can make your own links with basic tools that can cut tube and some all-thread. That is useful if you are trying to get an exact fit on wheelbase and the correct link size is not available pre made. You would need a few things to do this. A pack of rod ends (there are many that will work) some aluminum tube and some all thread. Just cut it to the length you need. The all thread gets made to a little longer then the tube so it sticks out the ends of the tube giving you something to screw the rod ends to. There are many posts on here on how to do it and different ways. Just search about home made links, etc.

I think the only kit you can still get is the Honcho kit which is an 12.4 wheelbase rig. So you will have to shorten the links quite a bit. If you can find the base kit (AX90007) it would be much closer wheelbase wise, about 11.4.

2. The stock electronics seem to be a bit "hit or miss" lately. There have been quite a few posts in the forum about people having trouble with them. That is bad when it stops working shortly after buying it. But Axial is a very good company and stands behind their stuff. They seem to be very good at taking care of these issues quickly for people. I have never needed warranty work from them so I can not say for myself.

The stock electronics are also only adequate. Most people do not run them for long before wanting or needing an upgrade. The newer ESC's and Radio's seem to be pretty good for a RTR. But if you do upgrade then the money you paid at first is kinda wasted. The stock servo you will want to replace probably first. A better replacement can be found for about $35 (Hitec 645MG) or you can go way up in price for much better power and durability.

So if you want to keep it inexpensive as possible then maybe a Trail Ready Honcho, Blazer body, some rod ends and home made links. That would get you up and running the cheapest. But best in the long run would be a Kit with decent electronics from the start and home made or store bought links. Good luck either way.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

according to this thread Need some help. Proline Blazer Wheel Base.

the wb of the blazer is 11.2 (Proline site isnt loading for me today?)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
RCC Addict

You are correct, I just looked on their site. I had that body a while ago and it was just a little short for the stock wheelbase. I royally botched the paint job so I never ran it.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Then I would just get an RTR Dingo and make and adjust the links accordingly to fit the body. Sounds pretty good to me.....

I could be wrong though......
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Check out my BLAZER Build thead and you will get all the info you need.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ya i really hate to say it.. but it looks like another dingo is in my future.. I think the LED's bumpers will look better with the blazer over the honcho bumpers.

I'd have liked to go honcho kit.. but i think I can live with the stock rtr elecs to save money for a while. I'm not 100% when I will decide and buy it, so I still have time to change my mind.. I can get the honcho kit for $235, and the TR dingo for $250.. so.. having an esc, radio, lights, bumpers I want is probably worth the extra $15..
Old 09-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
RCC Addict

For that price difference it is a good deal. If you get lucky and have good electronics then it is very worth it. All you will have to do it pick up some rod ends($10) and make some links ($15-20). That is if you have a dremel or something to cut the tube and all thread. Good luck and post pics when you get it