Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Drive Shaft Extensions..... for JK WB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Drive Shaft Extensions..... for JK WB

I needed to extend the rear driveshaft a pretty good length so I could fit my New Bright JK body but didnt want to order longer shafts just yet. Well I looked around to see what parts I had and figured I could make a shaft out of 2 spare shafts.

First I took one shaft (Male End) and cut it in half. This is the piece I would be installing.
Next I took the other shaft (Male End again) and cut a 7/8" piece off.
Next took JB Weld and made up a small amount for use.
Cut a piece of 8-32 allthread the total length of the new shaft.
Paste JB Weld all over the allthread and start threading it in to the first cut male shaft until it stops. Then thread on the cut 7/8" piece. Now thread on the end piece that was cut from before down to the others. Finally line up all the shaft tracks so it will line up with the female end and put it in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Pull out and run under cold water and let cool down. Should be good to go. Just thought it might be of some help to those trying to stretch out the WB for longer bodies.

AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

you're not afraid of it twisting loose at all? I mean I know it's JB weld and all, but there's a good amount of torque in such a small diameter there...
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I guess we will see, Im not really trying to go fast with this rig. It also has the allthread in the center of the entire shaft. But like I said I will have to wait and see, it was a cheap and quick build of a custom part and if it doesnt work no big deal. Just trying to fix or build things with stuff I have around the house. Wifey hates seeing a bunch of email notifications saying my order has shipped from RPPHobby all the time. Its good for the trucks but not always good for me.....
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
I needed to extend the rear driveshaft a pretty good length so I could fit my New Bright JK body but didnt want to order longer shafts just yet. Well I looked around to see what parts I had and figured I could make a shaft out of 2 spare shafts.

First I took one shaft (Male End) and cut it in half. This is the piece I would be installing.
Next I took the other shaft (Male End again) and cut a 7/8" piece off.
Next took JB Weld and made up a small amount for use.
Cut a piece of 8-32 allthread the total length of the new shaft.
Paste JB Weld all over the allthread and start threading it in to the first cut male shaft until it stops. Then thread on the cut 7/8" piece. Now thread on the end piece that was cut from before down to the others. Finally line up all the shaft tracks so it will line up with the female end and put it in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Pull out and run under cold water and let cool down. Should be good to go. Just thought it might be of some help to those trying to stretch out the WB for longer bodies.

What I found works is, take a male end and cut the end off. Take a female end and jb weld the male end in about a inch into the female end. Then take another female end and there is your driveline. The male glued in the female end goes to your axle and the female side goes to your trans. Still weak shafts but its a greak extension. Sorry if its not totaly clear
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You may have to do some triming on the male and the female (that slides over your male that's connected to your trans)
Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I've actually been testing it out on 2s LiPo and seems to be fine and works pretty well. I've got it lined up pretty well and the shaft slides perfect over the male end. So I will keep y'all posted and this Sunday I should know better how it holds up.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I guess we will see, Im not really trying to go fast with this rig. It also has the allthread in the center of the entire shaft. But like I said I will have to wait and see, it was a cheap and quick build of a custom part and if it doesnt work no big deal. Just trying to fix or build things with stuff I have around the house. Wifey hates seeing a bunch of email notifications saying my order has shipped from RPPHobby all the time. Its good for the trucks but not always good for me.....
Got the same wife problem thats why i like your post cause i needed to extend my drive shaft
6wheelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've actually been testing it out on 2s LiPo and seems to be fine and works pretty well. I've got it lined up pretty well and the shaft slides perfect over the male end. So I will keep y'all posted and this Sunday I should know better how it holds up.
Does that mean you're gonna try it on 6s??

But seriously, if this works out well, I'm gonna have to use your idea for my build - it's running just over a 14" WB.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post
they only have to last as long as the motor does

Sent from my space age wireless communication device.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post

But seriously, if this works out well, I'm gonna have to use your idea for my build - it's running just over a 14" WB.
Try running it my way. It works perfect for long wheel bases and it keeps your stock strength of the shaft just longer
Old 09-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
back to the drawing board....(post whoring it up)
droppedls4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Lol, it's actually already fixed. I used two different forum members ideas (Version_three, muddinscx) I notched both ends of the shaft pieces so they meshed together then sleeved them with a female piece of a shaft and as over kill I drilled through it and put two pins through it. Should hold up this time. Lol. Yeah, the rigs took a beatin today. They actually all went swimming pretty good, the pictures don't show just how deep that little spot gets. Starts off at about 4" then gets to well over 16" deep. Can't believe I had that one little hole in the receiver but it seemed to dry out and work perfectly after
Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
RCC Addict

That is a good way to extend the driveshafts (2 females with one male in the middle). I did that on my JK before picking up some MIP's for it. never broke though it wasn't used that way for long. Those Traxxas shafts hold up real well for the price.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
That is a good way to extend the driveshafts (2 females with one male in the middle). I did that on my JK before picking up some MIP's for it. never broke though it wasn't used that way for long. Those Traxxas shafts hold up real well for the price.
The only bad part about maxx shafts is that they are huge. I don't have a way to make the maxx shafts (lacking of tools to cut the ears off the axial). I heard the jato shafts work. Has anyone done that?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Nice. Yeah I'm gonna tear mine apart tomorrow and redo some stuff. I'm glad mine will be an easy fix too. I might have to sneak out there weds if my tires and rims show up. I am really looking forward to them

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
droppedls4dr is offline   Reply With Quote