Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: EB R1 Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default EB R1 Honcho

So I've been into 1:1 rigs for many years now and my good friend and wheeling buddy, HULK talked me into rc crawling. Honestly I didn't even know this existed and I'm kind of wishing I never found out.

In true wheeling fashion, I didn't want anything off the shelf and after seeing the arsenal that he's built, I knew I wanted a custom 1 off build so I started buying parts. All while trying to do this with a tight budget.

SCX10 chassis
stock shocks
Gmade R1 Portal axles
2.2 TSL's (now on my wraith)
Proline beadlocks (now on my wraith)
Integy 55t lathe motor
AE-3 controller
Traxxas XL5 esc
Alum links.
MIP front shaft / Punisher rear.

I started buying parts about a year ago, had a kid and everything was put on the shelf due to budget and time. I got tired of waiting so when the wraith came out, I bought it and that's been my "turn key" rig while I tinker with this build.

Anyway, since I started this dang mess, I've since moved from MN to NC and HULK now lives 850 miles away and he was going to help me build my cage, mount my body, etc. Well after lots of coaching via the phone I got it finished up enough to drive around, sans the bitchen EB body I bought from someone on here. (cant remember who) That got boring so I bought a painted honcho body to finish up the look. Here's where it sits now.

bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: EB R1 Honcho

Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Can anyone tell me if I've got my trans/motor in backwards? I have no idea, like I said, I'm super new to this and not sure if it even matters..
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
Can anyone tell me if I've got my trans/motor in backwards? I have no idea, like I said, I'm super new to this and not sure if it even matters..
Looks like a cool build so far... And YES your motor and trans is backwards.
It's all good though, as long as it works for you, that's all that matters!

Welcome to the addiction err the Scaler World. Haha!
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
RCC Addict

It's not backwards it's "mirrored". A lot of guys mount them that way to reduce torque twist. Just claim that you knew exactly what you were doing..
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
It's not backwards it's "mirrored". A lot of guys mount them that way to reduce torque twist. Just claim that you knew exactly what you were doing..
I like your way of thinking!

Another question before I get into the actual fab portion is waterproofing. I've got the esc and receiver covered, but do I need to do anything with the batteries or servo? I'm running the servo from my wraith.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Love that bronco body, I have one too and just painted it last night to match my 1:1 bronco. That's a good looking rig, question for you (or anyone else that may know), with the servo mounted where it is, does it come into contact with the frame rail at all? Or is it far enough out on the wraith axle that its not an issue? Might just be the picture but it looks pretty close, I'm curious since I'm considering wraith axles as well. Thanks!
yellowranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

There are a few different ways of water proofing servos. I pack them right full of dieelectric grease and put an o ring on the output shaft. If its full of grease there's no room for water to get in. (like a boat trailer hub). My truck that I sink right deep in the river I greased and put a skim of epoxy to coat it. Never had a problem either way. Love the look of the rig. Almost makes me want a set of 2.2s

Last edited by carried away; 01-19-2012 at 11:29 AM.
carried away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

We'll I've been playing with this around the house and yard the past 2 days and realized that I cant stand the Traxxas XL5 esc I have. The no drag brake and double reverse is a pain. To add to that I think I have a faulty unit. After about 30 seconds off full speed it starts dropping off like the battery is going dead. If I let it sit for about 5 min it comes back to life. Reverse only works when it feels like it. Since I've had it for over 30 days the warranty is no good either. Does this with 2 other batteries also that work perfect with my Wraith.

In my noob-ness to RC's I bought a Castle Sidewinder V2 not realizing it was for a brushless setup, completely blowing my budget on this rig. I've now realized that I want a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL and I've long since spent more then the cost of one on 1 shitty esc and 1 wrong one and I could have paid up in the first place and been money ahead. Lesson 1. You get what you pay for in RC components too. Lesson 2. Research before you buy. Anyone want to buy a Sidewinder V2, new still in the bag
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I too had one of those traxxas esc and god I hated after the first 10 seconds, I was like is this for real.
I had a g-made R1 it was my first dabble in this genre (now have scx10 and an rc4wd) but as good as those axles are I must tell you to immediately buy from a reputable dealer replacement bearings as the stock ones are tragic and will not last a month of normal use.
An interesting and cool build you've got going here, can't wait to see the finished article.
Oh if you look in the g-made section theres a thread on bearings
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
We'll I've been playing with this around the house and yard the past 2 days and realized that I cant stand the Traxxas XL5 esc I have. The no drag brake and double reverse is a pain. To add to that I think I have a faulty unit. After about 30 seconds off full speed it starts dropping off like the battery is going dead. If I let it sit for about 5 min it comes back to life. Reverse only works when it feels like it. Since I've had it for over 30 days the warranty is no good either. Does this with 2 other batteries also that work perfect with my Wraith.

In my noob-ness to RC's I bought a Castle Sidewinder V2 not realizing it was for a brushless setup, completely blowing my budget on this rig. I've now realized that I want a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL and I've long since spent more then the cost of one on 1 shitty esc and 1 wrong one and I could have paid up in the first place and been money ahead. Lesson 1. You get what you pay for in RC components too. Lesson 2. Research before you buy. Anyone want to buy a Sidewinder V2, new still in the bag
Do you know that you can program the sidewinder and run it with brushed motor correct ? You would need castle link.

Very cool build. If you cut the top of the link mounts you can lower stance alot. I know have the aluminum mounts samething apply.

Last edited by eric113; 01-21-2012 at 05:55 PM.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
I too had one of those traxxas esc and god I hated after the first 10 seconds, I was like is this for real.
I had a g-made R1 it was my first dabble in this genre (now have scx10 and an rc4wd) but as good as those axles are I must tell you to immediately buy from a reputable dealer replacement bearings as the stock ones are tragic and will not last a month of normal use.
An interesting and cool build you've got going here, can't wait to see the finished article.
Oh if you look in the g-made section theres a thread on bearings
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Do you know that you can program the sidewinder and run it with brushed motor correct ? You would need castle link.

Very cool build. If you cut the top of the link mounts you can lower stance alot. I know have the aluminum mounts samething apply.
I was actually just reading up on the bearing issue. I'll check around and get some replacements once I get the cage and body done.

And WHAT?! I can run the sidewinder I have?? My local hobby shop sucks, they said there was no way to do this. I have a friend with a Castle Link, I'll borrow that from him and see if I can get this dang XL5 out of my life. You guys are awesome!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Well, someone here told me that I could run my Sidewinder SV2 once I adjusted it with the Castle Link so that's what I did. I also cut the plastic cover off it and gave it a couple dips on Plasti Dip so it should be waterproof now.

I've been getting pretty steady picture texts from HULK on the updates of the cage build. I'm happy, very happy. Cant wait to get it back.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

More pics.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well, HULK finished up the tube work and it's back in the mail headed south! I'm super excited to get this back. Once I get it back, I'll clean up the welds, paint the tube work and try to paint the body. Is there a thread that's gives freshman level tips to painting? Last time I painted an rc body was a drip style in 1996 on my JRX Pro SE

Or do they make stickers for the EB grill? I'm lost.

EB R1 Honcho - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Honcho ~ Staying a Honcho OntarioCrawler Axial SCX-10 23 01-03-2012 10:53 AM
Just got a used Honcho generem Axial SCX-10 6 06-25-2011 12:35 AM
Honcho Body on an AX10 = Honcho Scrawler Sno Dawg Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 04-05-2011 06:13 AM
My honcho rc77 Axial SCX-10 3 12-04-2010 12:49 AM
Honcho ratmloud Massachusetts 5 07-23-2010 01:18 PM