Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First scaler/crawler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #1

Default First scaler/crawler.

Hi All,

About to take the plunge and get my first scale kit. Im set on the SCX10 as I've wanted one for ages.

As my budget is a bit tight initially I was planning to pick up the kit and an axial 27t motor and chuck in the rest of the electronics from my Slash (TQ 2.4ghz, Waterproof XL5, Lipo Cutoff and high torque servo).

Will these be ok until I can get a crawler esc? Will I even need one?I am after more of a trail truck that I can take hiking as opposed to a comp crawler. Just to cover whatever I come accross on the trail.

Finally (rambling), What batteries would you recommend for all day trail hiking? I have none suitable atm so am looking for decent runtime and usable power.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Josepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First scaler/crawler.

i tried the vxl5 in mine and had to get rid of it as soon as i could lol, you are gonna want the instant breaking of a crawler esc. as for the battery i dont know of a single one that will last you all day, but the higher the mah rating the longer it will go, i have a 4600 mah 7.2v stick pack and it lasts me about 45 min of non stop run time.
thundaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The xl-5 will work fine for something to take with u wile hiking but like he said above me it doesn't have a drag break.

As for a battery check out hobbypartz.com. they are cheaply priced a work excellently. My buddy dez has a 8000 mah 2s Lipo in his sons acc run with a stock slash motor and at one of our events his son and another kid ran that thing almost wide open for 6 hours and didn't use half the battery. But gen ace(from hobby partz) just came out with a 10000 mah Lipo that will certainly last u all day.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I didnt mean 1 battery for the whole day, dont mind carrying a few, just the fewer the better

I anticipate only using the XL5 esc for the first month, the following payday I can upgrade to a crawler specific ESC.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've tried the Tekin FXR and the HolmesHobbies BRXL. For my needs, the BRXL far exceeded expectation. I bought the waterproof version and lurked the classifieds until another popped up. Great dragbrake. Smooth throttle response. Handles up to a 6S Lipo!!! Decent internal BEC. With a 35T Integy I am able to get between 1.5-2hrs of run time on a single 1300mAh 3S battery. I dunno if thats common, but it boggles the mind.

Get a Holmes and some 3S Lipo's. You won't regret it.

-Brian
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Cheers, I think I am going to pick up a 35t motor, is this ok with the stock 20t pinion and 87t spur or do I need to change anything? As I said before I am looking for an all round terrain setup, trails/crawling but I dont want loads of speed as I have the slash for silly bashing missions.

Any tips appreciated!

First scaler/crawler. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello X scaler/crawler FIQUE XTM Crawler 1 11-11-2011 06:22 AM
first crawler/scaler crawling71 Newbie General 8 08-11-2011 07:08 PM
crawler to scaler? axial 888 rtc General Crawlers 7 08-11-2010 03:46 PM