Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Lipo Converted AX-3 2.4Ghz Controller...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lipo Converted AX-3 2.4Ghz Controller...

With a voltage regulator installed inside the handle (5V, Inline with the wires from the battery), And a little clearancing in the battery compartment (Removed the center wall), I was able to use a cheap Hobbyking 1000Mah 2S Lipo (Under $5). The battery even has the proper connector to plug into the bottom of the controller. There is also room for a much larger battery as well if desired. I hot glued a flat piece of brass inside the battery compartment to be able servo tape the light battery to.

Seems to work great in the living room, Will update after an actual outside run with some distance to it. I'll have to keep an eye on voltage to protect the battery, and get an idea of run time on a charge.

Last edited by NFA Fabrication; 12-10-2011 at 09:37 PM.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Can't help you on the amount of runtime you'll get, but I don't think it'd be a bad idea to get an audible lipo alarm to be safe. I know it's hard to justify the cost on a $5 battery though. Good job on switching it over to lipo though.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Inc View Post
Can't help you on the amount of runtime you'll get, but I don't think it'd be a bad idea to get an audible lipo alarm to be safe. I know it's hard to justify the cost on a $5 battery though. Good job on switching it over to lipo though.
Thanks! Is that a thing? An alarm like that would be perfect. I have only used Lipo's with Lipo compatible ESC's, so have never looked into that. I have seen generic small LCD voltmeters for projects, and was looking to go that route. Audible would be perfect! Thanks for the idea!

Edit: this looks like an affordable option from Venom: http://www.venom-group.com/Store/Bat...e-Monitor-2-8S . Should fit in the battery space as well! Thanks for the idea!

Last edited by NFA Fabrication; 12-10-2011 at 11:38 PM.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I know Novak makes an alarm unit, I'm sure there are other manufacturers. A small voltage display would work, but personally I'd get distracted checking it from time to time. LOL

That looks like a perfect option, I guess you found your next Tx mod.

No problem, glad I could help!

Last edited by Devil Inc; 12-10-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #5

Default Re: Lipo Converted AX-3 2.4Ghz Controller...

So can you post any runtime you got on a single charge?
buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Lipo Converted AX-3 2.4Ghz Controller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffet View Post
So can you post any runtime you got on a single charge?
My 1450mah 3s lipo gets days of crawling in my GT-3B. I just look at the voltage screen occasionally to check on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
With a voltage regulator installed inside the handle (5V, Inline with the wires from the battery), And a little clearancing in the battery compartment (Removed the center wall), I was able to use a cheap Hobbyking 1000Mah 2S Lipo (Under $5). The battery even has the proper connector to plug into the bottom of the controller. There is also room for a much larger battery as well if desired. I hot glued a flat piece of brass inside the battery compartment to be able servo tape the light battery to.

Seems to work great in the living room, Will update after an actual outside run with some distance to it. I'll have to keep an eye on voltage to protect the battery, and get an idea of run time on a charge.
Good job with the VR and battery...my radio used 8 AA cells so the 3s didn't need a regulator. Radio is way lighter weight now too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote