RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Dingo build question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/392523-dingo-build-question.html)

Dingo74 07-10-2012 12:17 PM

Dingo build question

So I built the dingo kit and this is my first crawler/scaler type vehicle. I put the xl5 in it with a traxxas stinger 20turn motor. My question is should it not roll easily when pushing it by hand? I know it has both axles locked and is geared differently than the slash (or any other 2wd) and has a higher turn motor. I just want to make sure this is normal before I run a battery through it.

Meatwad 07-10-2012 12:34 PM

Move the pinion away from the spur and try it again, should have little if any resistance.

Dingo74 07-10-2012 12:42 PM

Re: Dingo build question

I had done that and the truck does not roll easily. It has a lot of resistance.

Meatwad 07-10-2012 12:48 PM

Try loosening wheel nuts.

And/or disconnecting each driveshaft from tranny/axle one at a time testing again.

It's all a signal chain really, follow where the mechanical motion would go after each device (motor, tranny, axle etc).

Dingo74 07-10-2012 01:01 PM

I will try that. Basically a process of elimination. I am wondering if the gear mesh is tight in the axles. I see in the manual now about making sure the pinion is set properly.

Thanks for the quick help

Dingo74 07-10-2012 01:05 PM

I am glad I asked. I almost assumed it was to be like that because of the locked diffs and the gearing.

Meatwad 07-10-2012 01:13 PM

Haven't really seen binding in the axles unless the bearings aren't fully seated. Running it may help if that's the case.

Yeah process of elimination works.

DudeWalker 07-11-2012 08:39 AM

How much and how thick of the grease did you put into the transmission and axles?

DGKrawler22 07-11-2012 06:58 PM

Did you check to see if you aligned the marks on on the driveshaft?

Mr.Joshua 07-11-2012 07:21 PM

Slipper clutch too tight?

Hollaitzwillie 07-11-2012 08:09 PM

I have a 35t tekin brushed motor And when i push my crawler i have to put some force on it for the wheels to turn.

jp0160 07-11-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollaitzwillie (Post 3818677)
I have a 35t tekin brushed motor And when i push my crawler i have to put some force on it for the wheels to turn.

Does your ESC have a Drag Brake? That will give it resistance when the ESc is powered on. I installed some Integy driveshafts and had serious binding issues, try oiling the Driveshaft joints it may help. Are the screws in your center tranny too tight? that will cause binding. The driveshafts only fit together 2/4 ways, the other 2 ways will be very tight. I always use Motomaster automotive green axle and wheel bearing grease for my gears, never had a problem. I'm no expert but having any motor attached has always given a fair amount of resistance for me.

The best thing i would suggest is to remove the motor and pinion off of the spur gear and test it again. it should roll pretty freely without the motor/pinion meshed. If it doesn't, something in the drivetrain is binding. Try the front axle on its own, the center tranny on its own, the rear axle on its own, the motor on its own. Like you said, process of eliminiation should find the problem sooner or later.

This message was fueled by 9 bottles of James Ready 5.5, I have no idea if i made any sense!

Hollaitzwillie 07-12-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp0160 (Post 3818913)
Does your ESC have a Drag Brake? That will give it resistance when the ESc is powered on. I installed some Integy driveshafts and had serious binding issues, try oiling the Driveshaft joints it may help. Are the screws in your center tranny too tight? that will cause binding. The driveshafts only fit together 2/4 ways, the other 2 ways will be very tight. I always use Motomaster automotive green axle and wheel bearing grease for my gears, never had a problem. I'm no expert but having any motor attached has always given a fair amount of resistance for me.

The best thing i would suggest is to remove the motor and pinion off of the spur gear and test it again. it should roll pretty freely without the motor/pinion meshed. If it doesn't, something in the drivetrain is binding. Try the front axle on its own, the center tranny on its own, the rear axle on its own, the motor on its own. Like you said, process of eliminiation should find the problem sooner or later.

This message was fueled by 9 bottles of James Ready 5.5, I have no idea if i made any sense!

It does have drag brake but im not sure whats it set at. When theres no battery hooked up theres a lot of resistence. I can leave the crawler on a 45 degree hill and it wont move.

Soulo747 07-13-2012 09:27 AM

Do understand though that it will offer more resistance than a short course truck or anything else. So some resistance is normal.

lonleycreeper 07-13-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulo747 (Post 3820691)
Do understand though that it will offer more resistance than a short course truck or anything else. So some resistance is normal.

X2 there is alot of gearing reduction,3x more than a short course truck.

devestator_x 07-13-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulo747 (Post 3820691)

Agree 100%. Everytime you get a gear reduction, it takes less force for the motor to move the truck, but more force for you to push the truck manually. Figure you have lower gearing in the pinion/spur combo, then the trans is geared lower, then you have the axles which also give a reduction. It all adds up to needing a whole bunch more force.

Simplest way to check for binding is to move the motor so the pinion isnt engaged to the spur and roll the truck. It should freewheel is hardly any resistence. If it's still difficult, then theres something wrong elsewhere.

Dingo74 07-13-2012 02:57 PM

So I did loosen the motor and moved the pinion away and it was fairly easy to push. Not as easy as my SC truck but easy enough. So i meshed the motor back up. Then as the other person mentioned above I could put mine on an incline and it won't go anywhere. I have to push it pretty good to move it. The motor is a 20t traxxas stinger. I have the xl5 esc (no drag break). I have run the truck and you would think it has a drag break but the truck sounds and runs good.

I figure I will run it and if I break something and i will know where the problem is. I figure for me that is part of the hobby. I learn and I get to wrench on it again.

Dingo74 07-13-2012 03:03 PM

I will check the slipper clutch as josh mentions above and see if that helps.

Louisbaby 08-13-2013 12:07 AM

The more mile your truck does, the more everything will loosen up. A mate of mine has a SCX10 that has been beaten for more than a year. And with the standard motor in it, it just rolls down any incline. Where as mine is brand new, with a 55turn motor, and mine stops on mild inclines.