RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Box for rx and esc (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/403253-box-rx-esc.html)

Superbeast 09-17-2012 10:04 PM

Box for rx and esc

What are you guys using for a small box to mount your receiver and esc in for waterproofing? I've tried to find small food ware containers but even the smallest ones are too big. Just wondering what other people have used

Devil Inc 09-17-2012 10:26 PM

Re: Box for rx and esc

Project boxes from Radio Shack work well, some have used the plastic servo boxes you get from new servos (Hitec, Savox, Spektrum, etc...)

Meatwad 09-17-2012 11:01 PM

Project boxes - Component parts - RadioShack.com

Superbeast 09-18-2012 07:12 AM

Ahh very cool, thanks guys. Thanks for the link too. I'll have to pick one of those up this weekend

devestator_x 09-18-2012 10:56 AM

Question: If your esc is in a waterproof box, could it potentially overheat? I understand wanting to keep it safe from water damage, but wouldnt that just trap the heat in and potentially damage it another way? Just a curiosity that I didnt know the answer to.

juswin24 09-18-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devestator_x (Post 3922637)
Question: If your esc is in a waterproof box, could it potentially overheat? I understand wanting to keep it safe from water damage, but wouldnt that just trap the heat in and potentially damage it another way? Just a curiosity that I didnt know the answer to.

From I've been reading, if you are crawling or slow trailing you should be ok. I read here that some use balloons to seal up a ESC. Like I said, it's what I've been reading.

Meatwad 09-18-2012 12:51 PM

I run a tekin rs with a brushed motor on 3s in 2 balloons, in a ratshack box. The outside of the box gets slightly warm, 70f max. Keep in mind the bec is only running a servo winch and the rx also.

These are crawlers/scalers, electronics and motors shouldn't be stressed at all.

Perkolator 09-18-2012 01:07 PM

I run stock AE-2 ESC in a sealed project box (with liquid electrical tape on seams) and have not noticed it overheating at all. The box does get a little warm, but nothing I'd consider hot or a potential problem. I'm sure that with some ESCs and varying electronics setups it is definitely possible to overheat inside of a sealed box.

devestator_x 09-18-2012 01:09 PM

Ok... Im still learning the crawling side of RC. All my go fast stuff, the motors got hot to touch and needed good ventilation. My current setup is still stressed a bit, but thats because Im using leftover stuff from my Slash/Stampede. Eventually I will get more crawler oriented stuff, but for now, this is what the budget allows, so it's all I have to go by. Trying to learn from others without the proper equipment or experience to compare to is fairly confusing sometimes. Thanks for the answers.

Grundy 09-18-2012 01:12 PM

Before you seal it in a box, check it out, run your crawler and then check to see how hot everything gets. Most crawlers that are set up well don't get real hot. But a little extra room is better than stuffing everything in a small space.

AsILayDying 09-18-2012 02:03 PM

Just don't do what I did. Removed my MMP from a Radioshack project box to redo the waterproofing and put the ESC in a balloon. All was good except I forgot to unplug the fan on the ESC and it toasted the ESC . Expensive lesson.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)

MX4141 09-18-2012 07:31 PM

You can also take the esc apart and plasti-dip the circuit board,leaving the heat sinc exposed.
After you let dry and put back together its good to go.

crazydave76 09-18-2012 07:38 PM

Racers are on the throttle alot more than crawlers. That's where most of the heat comes from. Crawlers MIGHT use full throttle for a second or 2 to help them over an obstacle and that's about it.

MX4141 09-18-2012 07:46 PM

Agreed.

bobd80toy 09-18-2012 07:47 PM

id plasti dip it all...looks a lot cleaner when your done.

RC ADVENTURES - Waterproofing RC, CHEAP! Example Model: Axial SCX10 RC Truck - Tutorial - YouTube

stanmondz 09-22-2012 05:45 PM

i closed mine up in a radio shack box and it would thermal. ended up painting it with liquid electric tape

Arctic Fire 09-22-2012 06:44 PM

I've had my stock AE-2 in a radio shack box since day 1. It is taped to the lid, hanging upside down in there, so if and water did get in it wouldn't settle on it. It has never thermaled on me before, or ever even heated up! My recievers are in baloons in the stock reciever cases (x2 ballons and zip ties).