Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Lifted and Stiff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lifted and Stiff

I've found a nice sweet spot tuning my suspension for maximum ground clearance while maintaining side hilling/roll over stability. I'm addicted to rock crawling - flat or uphill. Not so keen on trail. I like places I think the Honcho can't tackle then tackle them. I'm not a basher, I do it like I would 1:1

I've lifted it at least 10mm with the lift kit and re-oiled the original shocks with 30wt and screwed down the pretension considerably. Lower links are aluminum and adjusted to clock the axles slightly. The super swampers give it additional clearance as well.

It still has good flex and crawling over a radical horizontal pitch changes it slowly lurches over then as soon as a wheel grounds there's zero rebound - its remarkably stable given its high COG.

Here's the pics

Holdencars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Are those 2.2's then? What's the clearance from the bottom of the chassis?

Scale beer cans, now that's the schlitz!
Duxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Surprised that someone worried about clearance enough to lift their honcho into monster truck status would still use an axle skid plate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lifted and Stiff

I'm trying to find a way to lower my XJ 10mm or so, raising the body on a SCX-10 in my eyes only makes it worse on angles. If you look at all the KOH/Ultra4, the rigs sit very low, with large tires. My 1:1 is as low as I can get it, while maintaining enough lift to clear tires. Minimum clearance is 13.9".

My suggestion is lower it back down, run a droop setup and add bump stops to the compression side to eliminate rubbing. This will increase stability on all categories, move the bumpers in and you will have the same approach/departure angles. Is that a Honcho front bumper on the rear? LOL
SinCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i'd start by adjusting the tension on your coilovers so there is some actual down-travel left in them - currently they're almost maxed out and most likely reason you claim the rig is stiff. then i'd drive and test it. next you might think about removing the lift brackets or just raising them up one hole to lower the stance and get a better COG. i don't think you'll rub since you've already cut your body.

you think it stays planted now...wait until you lower it, add weight to the tires, and put more weight inside the axles via beef tubes, HD locker, and metal steering parts -- THEN it will stay planted
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxx View Post
Are those 2.2's then? What's the clearance from the bottom of the chassis?

They're 1.9's - there's 90mm clearance measured at the motor/tranny plate
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
Surprised that someone worried about clearance enough to lift their honcho into monster truck status would still use an axle skid plate.

True, the skid plate is a hindrance more often than not but I'm reluctant to remove it after seeing the gouges rocks have taken out of it -

Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
i'd start by adjusting the tension on your coilovers so there is some actual down-travel left in them - currently they're almost maxed out and most likely reason you claim the rig is stiff. then i'd drive and test it. next you might think about removing the lift brackets or just raising them up one hole to lower the stance and get a better COG. i don't think you'll rub since you've already cut your body.

you think it stays planted now...wait until you lower it, add weight to the tires, and put more weight inside the axles via beef tubes, HD locker, and metal steering parts -- THEN it will stay planted

I'm fairly happy with it for now, I've got wheel weights in it and no foam - it's been serving me well so far, here's a vid in its current setup
Axial SCX10 Honcho - Days Rocks - YouTube
Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Shot this today
Axial SCX10 Honcho - Test and Tune 2 - YouTube
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencars View Post
True, the skid plate is a hindrance more often than not but I'm reluctant to remove it after seeing the gouges rocks have taken out of it -
I've got plastic AX-10 axles that have been dragged over rocks for years and they are still holding up.. If the time comes to replace them it's like $10 and then good for another 5 years.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I've got plastic AX-10 axles that have been dragged over rocks for years and they are still holding up.. If the time comes to replace them it's like $10 and then good for another 5 years.
Yep, mine are the same. If I look at the bottom of my axles, I can't even see the seam anymore, just looks like one piece axles cases.

But if this was mine, I would lower it quite a bit. My F-150 is about as low as I can get it, I just let the suspension do the work over rocks.

Last edited by canadianbacon; 12-08-2012 at 10:23 PM.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You're right - If theyre only $10 then I could have bought 2 new axles for the price of the hindrance. Thank you, I just removed it.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
RCC Addict

All the advice about losing then lift is from guys with experience in both 1:1 rock crawlers and scale crawlers. Not listening to this vast bank of knowledge that we have been kind enough to share would be just stubborn.

But it is your truck. Your choice. Run it like that if you wish, but it could only help you to at least TRY what we've advised. If you try it and still think we are wrong, throw that lift kit back on there and no harm done!

Good luck

Old 12-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
All the advice about losing then lift is from guys with experience in both 1:1 rock crawlers and scale crawlers. Not listening to this vast bank of knowledge that we have been kind enough to share would be just stubborn.

But it is your truck. Your choice. Run it like that if you wish, but it could only help you to at least TRY what we've advised. If you try it and still think we are wrong, throw that lift kit back on there and no harm done!

Good luck

I'm definitely taking all advice onboard - hey, the diff guard is gone! I really appreciated that advice.

I kept my Honcho stock for a few months and my biggest complaint with it was getting it hung up in the middle with all 4 wheels spinning freely so I knew I needed ground clearance. I bought the shock lift kit "and" the super swampers at the same time and installed them both - probably a mistake to do 2 upgrades at once. The swampers gave it nearly 10mm lift at the diffs where it need it - so the shock lift was most probably overkill but definitely beneficial with its chasis ground clearance. I also meant I had to tune the shocks / springs quite a bit more stiff than they were previously.

Until now I was "anti" 2.2's for my rig but I think it's now inevitable... Justify to myself to spend some more $ for wheels and tyres then swap out or change the lift to droop. And while I'm justifying I should probably choose new shocks ...
Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
Jus
I wanna be Dave

With smart driving and patience you'll learn how to approach and clear obstacles without hanging up so much..

For over a year I ran 1.9 tsl-sx on my Honcho which are like 4.20" installed on the truck... That thing went places I couldn't go with my Wraith and 5.75" tires.

But if it's frustrating you or you just don't want your driving to have to be so technical I can't blame you for wanting to lift it and put on bigger tires.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

get a Traxxas Summit. I think you will enjoy driving it more than your honcho. Or get the axial version of the summit (wraith).
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
With smart driving and patience you'll learn how to approach and clear obstacles without hanging up so much..

For over a year I ran 1.9 tsl-sx on my Honcho which are like 4.20" installed on the truck... That thing went places I couldn't go with my Wraith and 5.75" tires.

But if it's frustrating you or you just don't want your driving to have to be so technical I can't blame you for wanting to lift it and put on bigger tires.
I never mentioned being frustrated - I opened this thread saying I was over the moon with my rig

Lifting it has huge advantages over stock height on 1.9's if the shocks are tuned properly.

Here's a another vid from today - you can make up your own mind
My latest Youtube
Old 12-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Lol not seeing anything in that video that a stock honcho couldn't do. Better yet my 1.55 lr3 could do it and it's a low rider compared to the rig in the video.

Attached Images

Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Lol not seeing anything in that video that a stock honcho couldn't do. Better yet my 1.55 lr3 could do it and it's a low rider compared to the rig in the video.

Got anything other than a still shot
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Looks good bro! I like the challenge of driving the 2.2's.

Duxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lifted and Stiff - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lifted? RCTRUX Axial SCX-10 3 03-31-2011 06:46 PM
How to get stiff codydray Paint and Body 7 11-19-2009 01:28 AM
How stiff ARE the All-T's? Zapper2003 Tires and Wheels 4 11-14-2005 03:42 PM