Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: This is Bob.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default This is Bob..... (Changing again!)

No, not that Bob...

This is Bob

Although this Bob is also big and confident, and swollen with pride

This build is a continuation from my Jeep build thread

Steele42's 2dr Jeep Wrangler rebuild (going for a change...)

Built the jeep, and decided I liked how it looked, but noticed I liked my other Toyota better, so I figured I would turn this into another one.

This is my first Toyota which has inspired me to build another one, dubbed "Cliff" from Clifford the Big Red Dog. (And the names Cliff and Bob seem to go well together.)

This time I want to do one with a bed, and Cliff has such an amazing rear approach angle that I didn't want the huge "junk in the trunk" of the toyota bed. So I decided to go with the bobbed bed, hence the name Bob. Tried to trade the jeep body and goods for a hilux full set, but ended up buying some hilux stuff off of "gdhknives". He has already bobbed and dropped the bed.

Last edited by steele42; 11-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: This is Bob.....

Nice to meet you Bob. Looks great with the shorter box...nice job on the weathering too.
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ha ha thanks for the compliments. I'd like to take credit for the weathering, but what is really going on is I'm removing the paint. This is what I've been using.

Works really well actually. I'm mostly trying to get the red off so that when I paint it Grey (is what I'm planning) the scratches won't come through red. Kinda like the rear fender is already doing, the red coming through the black.

Got most of the cab done. It's a timely proccess, and makes you feel kinda funny. You start seeing cats walking across the ceiling and all kinds of crazy stuff.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Last night I started with the basics. It's weird after all the build time I've had in this to strip out everything.

Started out by figuring out how I was going to mount the body to the chassis. The drop bed limits me on where the body can be positioned, but it turned out to be perfect IMO.

I had to move my rear shock towers forward and cut the body post holes off so that the shock towers would go into the slots. I also had to move the upper shock mount to the middle hole because the fake reservors were in the way, but moving the shock towers made me need to relocate the top mount anyway.

Once I knew where the body had to sit I started messing with link lengths. I was happy to extend the rear to get a little bit longer wheel base. But I also had to move the front axle back a little, it was a little too agressive of a stance for the look I'm going for. It's still pretty agressive, and I will do a little fender shaving in the front to prevent tire rub, but not much.

Next came the bumpers. I wanted to go with the stock Hilux bumper, but the grill is already trimmed off and I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the winch. Time to choose...

Stock Honcho

DH FAB toyota bumper, from when Cliff was still a Honcho

Or the stock Dingo one I've trimmed up for the Jeep

Ultimately I chose to keep the Dingo/Jeep one on. I didn't like how the DH Fab one goes with this body, and the Honcho one just looks too stock. We'll see if it stays as this build goes along. Also got the stock Hilux bumper mounted up to the frame on the rear.

It will require a little more body trimming to get the back end to sit how I want, but it's getting close. After I get that buttoned up I'm going to work on the slider situation...

Old 03-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice!- I bet it is weird taking apart a build that you've completed.

I like the bumper you went with. The Axial bumper would look great if it were a little wider I think.

Goof Off is good stuff...appropriately named too I think, huh?

EDIT I just saw the DH Fab bumper in the classifieds...what's in the works?

Last edited by Mr.Joshua; 03-15-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

A little more paint gone, as well as a few more brain cells. But he's coming right along

Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Got the body all trimmed how I want and mounted to the chassis. I feel like this is a good time for Bob to lift his back leg and show the world what he's got. The infamous flex shot.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

When you see cats walking across the ceiling don't bother calling it. It's not real. What it actually means is... You're high.

What would the honcho bumper look like with the 2 side triangles cut out?

Also do you wanna see how my summit bumpers would look on a hilux?

Also interior in the plans?

And also hi bob.
Sent from my ADR6400L
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
When you see cats walking across the ceiling don't bother calling it. It's not real. What it actually means is... You're high.

And also hi bob.
Sent from my ADR6400L
I considered the cut Honcho bumper, but I have it in the for sale section, so if I don't get any bites on it I might just cut it up to see what it looks like. Or take petty's and try it on here (he's done that to his.)

It would be interesting to see how the summit bumper looks.

And interior plans, yes. I have the clear wondow kit (which I will probably do the rolled down windows) and the dinki rc interior and steering wheel. Need to start looking for a driver
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I think it would look pretty good with the cut Honcho bumper. I have one cut up and used it on my XJ body and alot of people liked it. I also had it on my SCX when I was fitting my Hilux body and it looked pretty good. I decided not to use it because I had a new DH Fab unit with a winch mounted. Give it a go, I think you'll like the way it looks.
DV8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Got the stock rock rails repositioned tonight.

I might pull them in a little farther under the body, but at least they're in place.

I also threw the electronics back in to see how they would work with the interior (and to drive it )

Looks like I will have to change it up a little to fit the interior. I also wanted to get it together for our local crawl/comp tomorrow

I'm actually quite happy with how it performed on my rock pile in the front yard. Better cog than the jeep.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

A little update. Been working on some tow shackles for a buddy but now I'm back on Bob in full steam.

Been prepping the body for paint. I'm no master of body work, I just use what I have available. Filled the extra holes with JB Weld, then I'll sand them down and dremel the door line back in them.

While the JB dries I've been working on the grill. I like the white side lights, but the hilux lot I got only came with one white lense, so yellow it is. I also don't have headlight buckets, so I used scx10 headlight buckets with the grills (they fit nicely and this is what I did on my first yota). My only problem this time is I don't have lenses for the scx10 buckets, so I glued in some that I'm assuming goes to the light bar buckets for the hilux. Perfect fit, just had to be glued in so they hold still. Also busted out the silver sharpie and got my Toyota emblems ordered from MThead.

I also got some wheel wells made up for the front. This butter tub has the perfect diameter to match up with the hilux arches. They were on but came off to get ready for paint.

Last edited by steele42; 03-21-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
RCC Addict

yer hands look a lil dry there essay

when you gonna make me some tow shackles?
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post

And also hi bob.
Yes.

Do the stock Honcho bumper with the side triangles cut out...works great and looks great on my Honcho.

Summit bumpers mounted pic please.

Really likin this truck so far.

EDIT: Did you test fit a Dingo rear bumper?

Oh those Bob commmercials are fawkin annoying...lol.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes.

Do the stock Honcho bumper with the side triangles cut out...works great and looks great on my Honcho.

Summit bumpers mounted pic please.

Really likin this truck so far.

EDIT: Did you test fit a Dingo rear bumper?

Oh those Bob commmercials are fawkin annoying...lol.
Thanks for the compliment! I actually had an opportunity to sell the Honcho bumper so it is gone. I like money . As soon as Heinie_21 and I get together again we'll try the summit bumper and get pics up. Never tried the dingo rear bumper, I wanted the Hilux rear bumper on there so I just went with that. (And I sold the rear dingo bumper) I actually retro-fitted it into the rear crossmember where the dingo bumper went in. Not sure how it's supposed to go on originally, just working with the used Hilux lot that I recieved. I'll have some good updates here in the next couple of days
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Re: This is Bob.....

Man that looks awesome! Keep up the good work.
Hydro-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!!!
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Didn't get to spend much time on it tonight, but I did get the JB Weld sanded down and the door lines dremeled out. I think I'll hit it with the paint tomorrow

Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Sneak peak at the paint job.

Also the painted wheel wells mounted up

Ordered Bob some new shoes tonight too
Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #20
RCC Addict

The truck is looking good, as to be expected from you.

Every time I see the title I can't help but think of Fight Club... "Bob has bitch tits"
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

This is Bob..... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BoB punkfan Chit Chat 6 09-22-2010 07:20 PM
bob vs course 2 CrAwLeR13 Videos! 1 01-10-2010 09:25 PM
Bob Jr. madhatter 2.2 Scale Rigs 15 08-27-2007 10:37 AM
to bob or not to... Bknight General Crawlers 1 01-30-2006 11:12 PM